Spyder Garage

Default RT Seat Release Emergency Solution

Last week I had a situation where I could not get my RT seat to release from the locking pin. I resolved the problem with little chance it will happen again, but it scared me and I decided to figure out an emergency release solution. I believe I have one and it works when tested. Thus I'm sharing with you.

I used a small gauge solid wire and connected to the seat latch mechanism through the same gap that the factory wire goes through. I then ran the wire through an opening around my oil dipstick/filler. On the other end of the wire I attached a small pull ring. It needs to be long enough to get to it in an emergency, but I don't want it too long to be unsightly. I route the wire around the oil filler tube to help in releasing as you want the wire path to be as straight as possible. In testing I am able to open my seat either with my key or by pulling on my emergency pull ring.

Rob

Seat-1 Wire to latch.jpgSeat-2 Wire routed to oil check opening.jpgSeat-3 Wire with pull ring.jpgSeat-4 Finshed job.jpg
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

I might suggest protecting that beautiful red paint with something in the steel wire.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Good straight forward idea and an excellent safety backup. Insulated multi-strand wire I'm guessing. We've done something very similar to our 1974 Triumph TR6 whose hood (bonnet) release is notorious for eventually breaking.

I can't help but wonder if, some day, someone your RT will say, "I wonder what this is?" and give it a pull?
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

I've read where others have just removed the pin completely. I've been thinking about doing it myself.

2017 Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Default If you remove your pin

Just keep in mind that if you remove your pin and you trailer your Spyder, your seat will likely float up in the wind.

By the way, I ended up removing the steel ring from the end of the wire and just made an ending loop in the wire that I can get my finger in. This makes the wire not visible at all and I have little risk of any kind of paint rubbing.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by imfleck View Post
    I've read where others have just removed the pin completely.
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Default Seat release

Just curious: Is that a common issue with the RT? I have a 2018 RT and wondering if I should do something like that?
    2018 RT Limited "Blondie"

Spyder Garage

I don't think it is a big problem, but I've heard a few people experience some sort of issue with lifting their seat. The greatest risk is you can't fill your fuel tank if the seat won't come up and you don't have a gas access fuel door installed on your seat. I did not want to have an issue while traveling when I could create a simple emergency solution.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmo View Post
    Just curious: Is that a common issue with the RT? I have a 2018 RT and wondering if I should do something like that?