Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default things to know when travelling

Spyder Garage

Default So true.....

Having been rasied in a foriegn country I know this oh too well. I remember when Sears opened the first store and had the sales tax added at the registar... that did not go well and they had to change the whole set up. Great piece but I know it is hard for most folks to see unless you have lived or at least traveled to a foriegn land....do not include Mexico and Canada.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I pass this along to my gf; we're headed to Spain.

Tipping is impolite in a foreign country? We were on the Isle of Margarita where the tip was already included, and we added to it. We visited a specific restaurant a number of times, and the waiters/waitresses would rush over to us, trying to be the first to our table. I guess they didn't think it was impolite. Of course in Aruba I did upset a waitress, when I moved the silverware and chopsticks around; she moved them back, and said I should leave them. The gf stopped me from making a comment to the waitress.

Spyder Garage

i found out about the no tipping when i was in portugal & kept self controlled while in china & thailand, didn't agree
    with some of the things there but it is their country.

Spyder Garage

black screen for me--got a link?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

While the rest may or may not be true (some I know are and some I can't say one way or the other) I take exception to the one about sales tax. They mentioned Value Added Tax (VAT) as an alternative in other countries. They said it is included in the price. At least in the UK (I known it was as late as 1992 when I left) that is only partially true. VAT is applied each step in the manufacturing process (including restaurants). It is applied when the raw product is purchased and then each step along the way when it is made into something more valuable the value added part). All that is in the price the consumer sees at the market (of whatever flavor: car dealers, restaurants, hardware stores, etc). But, when the consumer buys the final product it is added at the cash register for the final value added. So, in the UK at least, the consumer does have to do math in his/her head to determine the final cost. Again it was that way when I left there in '92 and I'd bet it hasn't changed.
    2017 RT Limited