Spyder Garage

Default Rear Fender Issue.....

I haven't posted in here for a few years simply cause found and fixed any of the Issue's I had with my 2008 Spyder GS (handle bar riser, seat, foot pegs, plugs and wires) always found quickly answer to my problems that needed upgrading. But I Live in Western Canada and the season is about done here now anyway. But noticed the other day my rear fender was loose and moved around a bit, figured visible bolts were probably loose and be an easy fix but no there's more to it and with a closer look (didn't take anything apart yet no hurry) metal plate under the fender looks little broken where one nut sits and on right side of Spyder bracket that goes 45degress up to the fender plate I think bolts to looks cracked. But instead of looking at BRP for new parts thought I would inquire here first. Cause its looks cool and maybe a way easier fix what are my options to just removing the fender and its accessories and relocating the License plate? Quite sure BRP in town would want an arm and a leg for replacement parts and maybe there's a simpler solution. I'm thinking the problem is the licence plate cover I put on few years ago pot Metal or Aluminum with Skulls its not horribly heavy but maybe just enough weight that broke a few component's that caused the issue. I've clocked on about 30,000Km/18,000Miles in five years probably a light weight compared to some but sure I'm not the only one that has this issue just cant find online the simple answer if there is one. I realize without the fender might cause one to get wet if it rains, but think only twice ever got caught in the rain and was soaked any way so no biggie. I have MS so precisely why the Spyder was perfect for me and $ is not plentiful these days as when I Got it and bought the comfort upgrades that were so needed. Any of the awesome upgrades I put on it few years ago came out of the U.S and think most on here are from there any suggestions? Doug

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Those rear fender brackets are notorious for breaking... If you throw something into the "Search feature" about it: I know that you'll find what you need.
    (Having ridden RTs: I'm just not familiar with the finer points of the repair process...)
    Good luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

There were issues with the older RS and GS with the rear fender struts cracking. Many just welded them back up but BRP later changed the supports. If this is the case with yours you can order the new ones that are re-inforced. They also came out with a sport fender where by you can remove the stock fender and put one up higher with the licence plate and all. Check out the acc at BRP they may still have some or online...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Have time to look and inquire, but didn't look close obviously didn't realize they were Metal I am a welder just not an active one these days and no easy access to a welder now. Its a chore just to bend down and get on the floor and afraid to even inquire about parts at BRP know from SNOWMOBILING crazy for prices and better more innovative stuff available out there, just hoping for a easy cheaper fix probably be 6 months before I get it on the road again anyway D
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    There were issues with the older RS and GS with the rear fender struts cracking. Many just welded them back up but BRP later changed the supports. If this is the case with yours you can order the new ones that are re-inforced. They also came out with a sport fender where by you can remove the stock fender and put one up higher with the licence plate and all. Check out the acc at BRP they may still have some or online...

Spyder Garage

If you do a search you can find several posts from people using fenders from other motorcycles and modified for the Spyder. The BRP sport fender will run you about $300 USD.
    I replaced the bracket on mine with the new version. I found the part online, for about $75 USD. It was fairly simple to do.

Spyder Garage

Did you find the newer upgrade new from BRP? When I have looked on their site did not see it offered, Ill Have to take everything off and have a look. Quite sure the metal or light tin part that fits right under the OEM fender is messed up a little also it was the first thing I noticed was wrong actually(nut looked like it has pulled through a bit). Then noticed the crack along the right side bracket don't even want to bother calling locally here and Inquire have found them never really any help this site was always the way to get something fixed and handled :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Culpjp View Post
    If you do a search you can find several posts from people using fenders from other motorcycles and modified for the Spyder. The BRP sport fender will run you about $300 USD.
    I replaced the bracket on mine with the new version. I found the part online, for about $75 USD. It was fairly simple to do.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CANUCK SPYDER View Post
    Did you find the newer upgrade new from BRP? When I have looked on their site did not see it offered, Ill Have to take everything off and have a look. Quite sure the metal or light tin part that fits right under the OEM fender is messed up a little also it was the first thing I noticed was wrong actually(nut looked like it has pulled through a bit). Then noticed the crack along the right side bracket don't even want to bother calling locally here and Inquire have found them never really any help this site was always the way to get something fixed and handled :-)
    I bought it from cheapcycleparts.com
    Mine had cracked right where the bend is under the edge of the fender. It was almost cracked all the way from top to bottom. The fender would fell right off.
    What irked me was I just had the rear tire replaced, and the dealer never mentioned it. It had to have been cracked when they worked on it, and it was obvious that it was cracked. The other side had been repaired in the past by a previous owner.

Spyder Garage

The mounting tabs on the 08 and 09 GS were L brackets welded to the swing arm. Later models had them bolted for easier replacement.

Those brackets break... Then the resulting vibration will cause the fender supports to crack... Next thing you know the whole thing is flopping around.

I chose to fix mine. Bought two new fender side brackets. Welded the L brackets back on, but to ensure they wouldn't crack again I also welded a gusset to one side of each one. The only ones that broke were on the belt side of the swing arm.

So... you may not have a welder, but you can surely find somebody that does. Throw them $50 for their time. It should only take them 1/2 hour to weld and that is with cutting and fitting the gussets. After that it all bolts back together.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Culpjp View Post
    Worked great for mine too here is b4 with damages (fender & subframe were rubbing tire, hitch made contact with sprocket. ) IMG_6302.jpg & afterIMG_6561.jpg replacement hitch has been installed & pakitrack IMG_6989.jpgsorry I've lost the thread with most the information. The fender came off a ZX I believe. Found a thread:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...on-Spyder-rs-s
    Last edited by Bfromla; 10-04-2018 at 02:36 AM. Reason: link

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
    The mounting tabs on the 08 and 09 GS were L brackets welded to the swing arm. Later models had them bolted for easier replacement.

Those brackets break... Then the resulting vibration will cause the fender supports to crack... Next thing you know the whole thing is flopping around.

I chose to fix mine. Bought two new fender side brackets. Welded the L brackets back on, but to ensure they wouldn't crack again I also welded a gusset to one side of each one. The only ones that broke were on the belt side of the swing arm.

So... you may not have a welder, but you can surely find somebody that does. Throw them $50 for their time. It should only take them 1/2 hour to weld and that is with cutting and fitting the gussets. After that it all bolts back together.
    I really have to get the SpyderLovers App on my phone be much easier to post a pic, dont think the L brackets you speak of are broken on mine ones on each side that have a bolt through them are the one Im sure you're talking about. The throttle side bracket that goes up at about 45 degrees is cracked at the top where connects to the fender and requires replacement or fixing of some kind, dont think welding will fix it would just crack beside the weld I am a welder by trade so could weld them other than dont have a welder In my garage and have MS which is a chore these days just to get on the ground and un bolt. That said I really dont want to rig that fender rather just get a kit of sorts to bolt small fender with plate as pics in below post. I rarely ride at night, only been caught in the rain once in 5 years so really no need for a full fender. Im In Canada so riding season is about done other than today could be out riding but soon will have all winter to fix it up. Very frustrating have always messed with cars snowmobiles and toys but now a days the Spyder has proven to be a pain to work on for me. I do like the look better with OEM fender gone though Ill get this handled I hope this winter or even sooner D

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Worked great for mine too here is b4 with damages (fender & subframe were rubbing tire, hitch made contact with sprocket. ) IMG_6302.jpg & afterIMG_6561.jpg replacement hitch has been installed & pakitrack IMG_6989.jpgsorry I've lost the thread with most the information. The fender came off a ZX I believe. Found a thread:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...on-Spyder-rs-s
    Yes thats exactly what I want to do to mine. It looks great, but not into shopping around these days just fix it up as easy as I can. Sure you mentioned BRP SPORT FENDER is it similar but sure more expensive to what you have done? Going to start googling and searching here right soon, dont want to attempt to fix that fender and bolt it back on kinda a chore for me these days D