Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    WHAT A DEALER!!!!! They don't know what's wrong, they don't know how to fix it, they just take your money and send you out the door the same as you came in. Your experience (and mine) are exactly why my bike will NEVER see a RideNow shop ever again. I hope they returned all the good parts they took off your bike while doing their experimenting...... Sad tale indeed.
    I'm convinced they screwed up the wiring system somehow when they replaced the air bag and shock, and just don't want to admit it. The fact that Philippe is again getting the same error messages after a new computer module just confirms it, in my mind.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 11-16-2018 at 12:12 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by prmurat View Post
    Well.... 2 weeks, over $2000... and limp home from the dealer to home!!! Usual codes: C0063, C006C, U0073, U0155, U0122.... nothing changed in spite of all the parts changed!!! I do not want to jump to any conclusions, but what a POS @ 29000 miles!!!
    We on this forum strongly discourage threatening legal action, BUT, in your case you may want to check out what help you can get from the AZ AG office.
    https://www.azag.gov/complaints/consumer. There may be legal remedies available, and then again, maybe not. Won't hurt to check.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    We on this forum strongly discourage threatening legal action, BUT, in your case you may want to check out what help you can get from the AZ AG office.
    https://www.azag.gov/complaints/consumer. There may be legal remedies available, and then again, maybe not. Won't hurt to check.
    This Thread should convince all Spyder Owners that buy new Spyders to buy the BEST Waurentee extension. But any one buying a used Spyder with no Waurentee is taking a definite Risk, no matter how low the mileage, considering the Owner Sharing reports on this Forum. As for me, I have never ventured beyond 75 miles away from home, MAX, with either my 2012 or 2016 Syders, bcause of exactly reports like shared on this tread. It doesn’t matter at all, how many thousands of Spyder Owners are not having problems to this poor Owner, who is left high, dry, and broke, money wise as well as Spyder wise. I keep AAA Insurance with RV and Motorcycle Addition, and have had to use it many times! ( on both, my Spyders and my Harley! ) I would never leave home with out my AAA Insurance Card or my Cell phone! But being far away from home with a Spyder on Limp Home Mode, and trying to find a competent Dealer in a strange City or town that will even immediately work on it, especially if it is a no cash Waurentee issue,......well, good luck with that!
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 007james View Post
    This Thread should convince all Spyder Owners that buy new Spyders to buy the BEST Waurentee extension. But any one buying a used Spyder with no Waurentee is taking a definite Risk, no matter how low the mileage, considering the Owner Sharing reports on this Forum. As for me, I have never ventured beyond 75 miles away from home, MAX, with either my 2012 or 2016 Syders, bcause of exactly reports like shared on this tread. It doesn’t matter at all, how many thousands of Spyder Owners are not having problems to this poor Owner, who is left high, dry, and broke, money wise as well as Spyder wise. I keep AAA Insurance with RV and Motorcycle Addition, and have had to use it many times! ( on both, my Spyders and my Harley! ) I would never leave home with out my AAA Insurance Card or my Cell phone! But being far away from home with a Spyder on Limp Home Mode, and trying to find a competent Dealer in a strange City or town that will even immediately work on it, especially if it is a no cash Waurentee issue,......well, good luck with that!
    It's a touring bike. A damn good one. The dealers don't know how to service them.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    It's a touring bike. A damn good one. The dealers don't know how to service them.
    Truer words were never spoken.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'm convinced they screwed up the wiring system somehow when they replaced the air bag and shock, and just don't want to admit it. The fact that Pierre is again getting the same error messages after a new computer module just confirms it, in my mind.
    Pete... don’t get me wrong: I like obsessions like anyone... this problem has happened before (2 months at the Phoenix dealer last year, during the shock absorber deal and after. I love this dealer bashing (but, oh no, don’t say anything bad about the beloved bike!) but if they are not provided with the right tools to make a diagnostic what should they do??? Invent one or change parts one after the other till they find the problem???? BRP is the one to blame here: they put over complicated machines on the road with no clues about solutions to problems they do not even know. By experience I know that changing the entire wire loom is a death sentence for the bike: at best it will never be fixed and problems will pop on regular basis or it will desapear in the dealer garage to be worked on every other months and never be ready. My prolongateur warranty ended 6 months ago. Maybe a lemon law recourse.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pete... don’t get me wrong: I like obsessions like anyone... this problem has happened before (2 months at the Phoenix dealer last year, during the shock absorber deal and after. I love this dealer bashing (but, oh no, don’t say anything bad about the beloved bike!) but if they are not provided with the right tools to make a diagnostic what should they do??? Invent one or change parts one after the other till they find the problem???? BRP is the one to blame here: they put over complicated machines on the road with no clues about solutions to problems they do not even know. By experience I know that changing the entire wire loom is a death sentence for the bike: at best it will never be fixed and problems will pop on regular basis or it will desapear in the dealer garage to be worked on every other months and never be ready. My prolongateur warranty ended 6 months ago. Maybe a lemon law recourse.
    Philippe, all your other bikes I think have a dedicated dealer / service network (maybe not the Ural...). BMW, Harley, Triumph, Yamaha, Honda, etc. I think the Spyder is the only bike sold and supported by a network of dealers who are primarily selling and servicing ATV's, PWC's, Skimobiles, etc and usually at least two brands (Can-Am and Polaris) of those. The Spyder is an odd-ball for those dealers, and the Bosch electronics are unique to that particular machine. Their mechanics rarely get to work on Spyders, so even if they are factory-trained, they simply don't have the time working on them that mechanics at a motorcycle dealer would have.

I think the wiring harness got damaged at some point and until that is traced down and fixed (not necessary to replace the harness), it will keep throwing those codes. Just my opinion.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Having the same problem documented prior to your warranty expiration MAY play in your favor. I would take all avenues to hold BRPs feet to the fire on this. If you run into a stonewaller, keep escalating and escalating until you get good results. If BRP is totally non-responsive and does not take responsibility for the problem I would then start a letter writing campaign (BBB, Newspaper, TV consumer help line, Motorcycle organizations and magazines, etc.) And make sure you CC the dealership owner(s), BRPs CEO. Become the thorn they wished they never had.....How this turns out is of interest to me and I am sure many others too..... Good luck
    Semper Fi

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Trailers collection...

After talking to the dealer & BRP...dealer was nice enough to come and p-up my RT...
    Now they will try changing the wires harness...

Not sure if I should go for this, buy a new one or forget about having a Spyder... A nice Goldwing with a big sidecar looks better and better...

3 rd trailer ride in a year...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Light in the tunnel???

Finally a good news... BRP is changing the harness FOC, work and part(s). Lets hope it will solve the problem(s)! I am just adding ($49.57) a cam chain tensioner as it seems my sound diagnostic was the right one. Let's wait and see what's happening!!

Spyder Garage

Finally a good news... BRP is changing the harness FOC, work and part(s). Lets hope it will solve the problem(s)! I am just adding ($49.57) a cam chain tensioner as it seems my sound diagnostic was the right one. Let's wait and see what's happening!!
    Good Luck
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

Good Luck
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

prmurat, sorry to hear about your ongoing problems. I recognized the trailer in the picture with your bike, because my 2012 RT Limited was on that same trailer multiple times (see my thread under the "dreaded P0174 code"). As I mentioned, the ongoing problem caused me (and especially the wife) to completely loose confidence in the bike. That bike was purchased to replace a Goldwing that we did a lot of touring on, so we just didn't feel safe being far from home on it. I will say that the dealer did put forth an honest effort to help. They sent their driver from Peoria to our home in Payson (over 100 miles) to pick up the bike. They discounted labor, and when the last repair didn't fix it, and the bike would not even start, they forgave the repair bill of several hundred dollars, when I decided to trade it. Their service manager seems like an honest guy, and seemed genuinely interested in trying to help. After some negotiation, I got what I believe was a fair deal on a trade (the details are in my thread). If anyone is to blame here, I believe BRP could have done a better job of engineering and quality control with the Spyder. It is a very complex machine. The service manager even admitted to me that the 2010's - 2013's had issues due to hypersensitive sensors and electronics, and that factory recommended protocol is sometimes a series of replace and try fixes. Due to my experience and those of others that I have seen here on this forum, I did purchase an extended warranty for the new one. This is a first for me, in over 50 years of motorcycle ownership.

Good luck and I hope this does it for you.

Dennis

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Insyder View Post
    prmurat, sorry to hear about your ongoing problems. I recognized the trailer in the picture with your bike, because my 2012 RT Limited was on that same trailer multiple times (see my thread under the "dreaded P0174 code"). As I mentioned, the ongoing problem caused me (and especially the wife) to completely loose confidence in the bike. That bike was purchased to replace a Goldwing that we did a lot of touring on, so we just didn't feel safe being far from home on it. I will say that the dealer did put forth an honest effort to help. They sent their driver from Peoria to our home in Payson (over 100 miles) to pick up the bike. They discounted labor, and when the last repair didn't fix it, and the bike would not even start, they forgave the repair bill of several hundred dollars, when I decided to trade it. Their service manager seems like an honest guy, and seemed genuinely interested in trying to help. After some negotiation, I got what I believe was a fair deal on a trade (the details are in my thread). If anyone is to blame here, I believe BRP could have done a better job of engineering and quality control with the Spyder. It is a very complex machine. The service manager even admitted to me that the 2010's - 2013's had issues due to hypersensitive sensors and electronics, and that factory recommended protocol is sometimes a series of replace and try fixes. Due to my experience and those of others that I have seen here on this forum, I did purchase an extended warranty for the new one. This is a first for me, in over 50 years of motorcycle ownership.

Dennis
    When my 2012 had only 12,700 miles on it, I took it to my Dealer just to have my oil and filter changed. Remember when BRP in their Owner’s Manual recoomended changing the oil every 3000 miles? I sure wasted a lot of money on oil changes before BRP revised the Oil Change intervals, because I have never changed my own oil even once in 80,000 miles of riding. Also, tons of Tupperware had to be removed from Spyders to change the oil before BRP had the Recall to install the bottom quick release panel to reduce Tupperware removal during during oil changes. But back to my 12,700 Oil change at the Dealer. I was 50 miles away from home at 5:15 P.M. on a Friday afternoon, and had just left the Dealer and entered the Freeway 5 miles away from the Dealer in VERY heavy Fri. Night traffic. I got up to 60 MPH and wedged in to the traffic, when all of a sudden, with out any warning, my Orange Dash Limp Home Display came on, and my Spyder sputtered, chocked, and quit altogether right in the middle of the traffic, with an 18 Wheeler behind me laying on his Horn! Miracuously, I coasted off to the side of the Freeway barely escaping being crushed by the 18 Wheeler behind me, and pushed my Spyder on to the grass on the side of the freeway. It was HOT, in the sun, in the Summer, and after a dozen attemps of trying to restart the Spyder, it would not even hickcup! So, after 10 minutes of listening to the Dealer’s “No one is available to take your call, please leave your number” Message, I finally left a message,...” &@$’¥]€> F—— I am broke down here and.......stranded. “ ” The Dealer finally returned my emergency call. I told him where I was, and he came with a Truck and Flat bed Trailer about 30 minutes later. He had a Mechanic with him, and after several attemps and VooDoo tricks, my Spyder wouldn’t even Hiccup for them,
    either. So we pushed it on to the Trailer and returned to their Shop. They spent 15 minutes trying to start it at the shop, but it was as dead as my Great Grandfather! So, considering I was 50 miles away from home, and my wife would not answer her Cell phone because the battery was dead, I was SOL.
    I asked my Dealer for a Service Demo to get me home, but the owner said they did not have Service Spyders, but could I handle a Two Wheeler? ( the Dealer didn’t have a spare bed for me in his house! ) So, he was kind enough to loan me an old Kawai Vulcan 800 that I managed to get home on. My Spyder was in the Shop about 2 weeks during diagnostics, and negociations with BRP, which finally ended in cleaning my Throttle Bodies which they did on Warentee,
    and I finally got my Spyder back. But meanwhile, I had relearned to handle a 2 Wheeler again,
    and had blown the carbon out of the Injectors of the Dealer’s Vulcan for him. This was certainly not the last time my dreaded Orange Limp Home Dash Display taunted me either, as I ended up logging 55,300 miles on that Spyder before trading it in for my 2016. I never worked on my Spyder my self, so my Dealer became like a member of my family, because I had to visit him so often between 3000 mile oil changes, 10,000 mile tire changes, and Limp Home Mode terrorizations. So, to this day, as I said in another thread, not only do I not have the confidence to venture any further away from home ( 75 miles MAX ) away from a Dealer, but my Wife won’t even get on with me any longer, as she is afraid of being stranded with me on side of the road or benind an 18 Wheeler. I still have night mares of my dreaded Orange Limp Home Dash Displays that have haunted me too many times to ever forget! It will be interesting to find out if all of these problems will have disappered on tne new 2019 Models.
    Last edited by 007james; 11-09-2018 at 05:39 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Dennis
    Thks for your post... Who is "your guy" in the shop: Mike, Nick or Josh ? As now I am alternating between Josh & Nick and things are smoother. I like the idea of trading (really like the dark grey one and, specially, the new dashboard). On which base did you negotiate the sell of your old one: Blue Book ? I like, normally to get a price in between resell value and trade in value... I need another credit like a hole in the head!!

Spyder Garage

Thks for your post... Who is "your guy" in the shop: Mike, Nick or Josh ? As now I am alternating between Josh & Nick and things are smoother. I like the idea of trading (really like the dark grey one and, specially, the new dashboard). On which base did you negotiate the sell of your old one: Blue Book ? I like, normally to get a price in between resell value and trade in value... I need another credit like a hole in the head!!
    Sent you a PM last week. Hope you got it. When you get a minute, let me know how your last visit to the shop went.

Dennis

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Sent you a PM last week. Hope you got it. When you get a minute, let me know how your last visit to the shop went.

Dennis
    Got some news by text, out of the country for 4 days; I should be happy to be always right but I think this is the end of my RT: as I said it before the chance of any vehicle being OK after an harness change is slim at best and with something as complicated as a Spyder chances are close to 0%... now the new error codes refer to some obscure injectors problems and others non related errors...
    Tired??? Oh yes I am!!

Spyder Garage

Really appreciate you keeping us advised. Best of luck.....
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Got some news by text, out of the country for 4 days; I should be happy to be always right but I think this is the end of my RT: as I said it before the chance of any vehicle being OK after an harness change is slim at best and with something as complicated as a Spyder chances are close to 0%... now the new error codes refer to some obscure injectors problems and others non related errors...
    Tired??? Oh yes I am!!
    WOW! Thanks for the update, altho sad news. Your Spyder must be jixed. Any chance that BRP will take it back and credit you the Market Retail Value towards a Ryker?

Spyder Garage

Tired??? Oh yes I am!!
    A Spyder is a pretty simple machine compared to many. Changing a wire harness, when done by a qualified tech should be no big deal.

The problems arise when techs that are not good with electrical troubleshooting attempt it, and start deciding to work on the harness pins, sockets, and connector shells.

Asking a tech to ring out a series of wires with an ohmmeter seems logical, but unfortunately the meter is a very light load and can miss partial crimps or cross shorts.

Not very often we read or hear about BRP taking a bike back. It happens but not often.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 007james View Post
    WOW! Thanks for the update, altho sad news. Your Spyder must be jixed. Any chance that BRP will take it back and credit you the Market Retail Value towards a Ryker?
    Mmmmm.... guess I have to call some more! Not sure what you are saying is feasible, sounds more like a fairy tale! But I'll try. Thks for the idea!

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Just tried to speak to a Natacha at BRP... refused to offer any help, pass me to a supervisor. Maybe it is time to lawyer up???

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Philippe,

Do you know where the fault lies yet?

Is your bike fixed and you just want a new one because you don't trust this one, or what?
    Bike is still in the shop.... they changed the harness and now it throws codes relating to the injectors. Maybe i?ll passby the shop ma?ana: they did not answer my message for news today.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well, if they replace enough parts they might be able to get it on the road again. Which sidecar rig are you bringing to Kanab?
    As now it will be the T?n?r?.