Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Tech question harness question

Hi guys I am looking at buying a trailer harness. I see them on ebay for 99.00 is this the way to go.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MOSESS View Post
    Hi guys I am looking at buying a trailer harness. I see them on ebay for 99.00 is this the way to go.
    You need to look harder ……….. a couple of years ago I bought a re-placement for my Snow-mobile trailer ( 8 1/2 ft X 10 ft. ). …. I just looked on E-bay , look at these two item numbers #263281414870 & 171540465926 ….. this is for six wire ……….Mike

Spyder Garage

Are you wanting a trailer harness for your trailer or a trailer wire harness for your Spyder? If it is for the Spyder, consider that on the Spyder, they run turn signal power through the instrument cluster. If you accidentally overload or create a short circuit, the instrument can be damaged. Because of this, ensure whatever you purchase uses one of the small black boxes that uses turn signal and brake inputs from the vehicle to control the black box circuits. The black box is also wired to the main battery power, allowing protection to the instrument cluster. In short the black box is a set of switching relays.

Spyder Garage

I am looking to tow a trailer this up coming season. My trailer is a 4 wire setup. my rt does not have a trailer harness at this time . I figured I would get the best info from this site then buy that harness. Please not looking to make this a big deal...just want what's best for the bike....

Spyder Garage

I am looking to tow a trailer this up coming season. My trailer is a 4 wire setup. my rt does not have a trailer harness at this time . I figured I would get the best info from this site then buy that harness. Please not looking to make this a big deal...just want what's best for the bike....
    What’s best for the bike is the oem Can Am harness for your year Spyder RT. If needed to convert from the Can Am square plug to a flat style plug adapters can be purchased or self made. Not sure what trailer style plug you have on the trailer.

Spyder Garage

I assume you have a RT because you posted in the RT forum. So what year is it? It can make a difference for which OE harness. Different for different years.

The simplest solution is what PMK said. Get the latest trailer tow hitch kit from BRP. This gives you the hitch, wiring and all the extras you need except one. The module harness is now a separate item. The part number for that depends on the year of your Spyder. That's the harness that connects the Spyder to the module.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Hello guys I have a 15 RTS, I also have a hitch from Pierre, The trailer I have is setup with a 4pin harness. so I am hoping to get a plug and play harness for the RT so I don't do any harm to the electrical system. thanks and merry Christmas. By the way a fellow member has a harness from a 13 RT will that work on a 15

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hello guys I have a 15 RTS, I also have a hitch from Pierre, The trailer I have is setup with a 4pin harness. so I am hoping to get a plug and play harness for the RT so I don't do any harm to the electrical system. thanks and merry Christmas. By the way a fellow member has a harness from a 13 RT will that work on a 15
    Pierre should have the harness you need.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I got a hitch and harness from Pierre. Works perfect. No issues. Has standard flat- 4-pin plug. This harness is plug-n-play also. Plugs into the factory harness for the rear lights(located under left passenger handgrip). http://www.canamspyderaccessories.co...its-2010-2017/

And the same on ebay for $99 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2017-Can-Am-Spyder-RT-RTS-RT-LIMITED-Trailer-Wiring-Harness-flat-4-pins/332776190263?hash=item4d7b01b137:g:syMAAOSwZVlXmPs h:rk:3f:1&frcectupt=true
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

The problem with the harness that Pierre sells is that it is not power isolated.

The first issue that can happen and has been posted several times is hyperflash of the turn signal lights when the trailer is connected. This may be fixed by replacing the incandescent bulbs in the trailer with led ones. You may still have to recalibrate the dash for hyper flash. Which can be done easily on a 2015 RT. Some have reported even doing both these things and they still have an issue with hyper flash.

The second problem is if you ever get a short in the trailer wiring. When the trailer harness is power isolated. The fuse for the trailer will blow. The lights are lost on the trailer but the Spyder lights and operation are not affected. Inconvenient but not real serious. When the the trailer harness is not power isolated. When a short occurs. The fuse for the circuit that has shorted will blow. Those lights on the the trailer and Spyder will stop working. Also depending on the circuit that shorted. The Spyder will display the orange fault screen and will go into limp home mode. Instead of being inconvenient, it has become a very serious problem. Depending on where you are when the problem happens. Some claim that you can damage the gage cluster when the trailer shorts out. That is not a concern because it is protected by a fuse.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The problem with the harness that Pierre sells is that it is not power isolated.
    Right. It's just a converter to go from the five wire taillight system on the Spyder to a four wire trailer harness.

Mosess, go ahead and get the one from eBay. I tracked it down to this web page. http://traileretc.com/product/2010-2...iring-harness/. It is isolated and $30 cheaper than directly form Traileretc.com website. I don't know why they would sell it on eBay for less than on their own site unless maybe it has some cosmetic blemish or misprinted label. Maybe that's why the label is whited out!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I also have his hitch, I never thought I would be trailering. I got the hitch to protect the rear-end of the rt....but now I going to tow on a cross country trip this up coming season. I am buying this harness part number from BRP 710003903....

Spyder Garage

I am buying this harness part number from BRP 710003903....
    You need to double check what you are buying. That part # is for the electronic module only. You also need two harness pieces, the module harness and the trailer harness. See the numbers below. These are listed in the installation instructions for the BRP hitch at the link below. I don't know if BRP sells all three pieces as its own kit or not. I'm doubtful.

P1 Module 710003903
    P2 Module Harness 710005823
    P3 Trailer Harness 710003272

https://instructions.brp.com/content...mber=219400854

The harness from Traileretc.com has all three pieces in one assembly.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

I have a plug and play isolated harness for a 2010 - 2017 RT to a 4 pin trailer. My trailer is a 5 pin hookup so I had to buy a different harness. PM me if you are interested. My new 5 pin was $80, I’ll sell this for 4 pin for $50 as I have no use for it.

*********SOLD**********
    Last edited by Spydermon; 01-01-2019 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Sold
    2012 RT , Pure Magnesium Metalic

Spyder Garage

JUST SENT FUNDS TO A MEMBER FOR BRP #710003903....I HOPE I AM GETTING WHAT I NEED.

Spyder Garage

JUST SENT FUNDS TO A MEMBER FOR BRP #710003903....I HOPE I AM GETTING WHAT I NEED.
    I'm going to guess you'll be OK. The member who you're buying it from may not have realized there are three p/n's involved. If, by chance, you do get only the module you can order the other two pieces as replacement parts through your dealer. If you get only the module I suggest you buy the harness from Spydernon for quite a bit less than the two harness pieces will be. Then keep or sell the module. You never know when someone here will have one crap out, although that is not as common as it was few years ago.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

you maybe correct. I am missing the harness part number 710005823...that harness is a y connector I am going to see if he will take it back. or see if I can buy just that part...

Spyder Garage

you maybe correct. I am missing the harness part number 710005823...that harness is a y connector I am going to see if he will take it back. or see if I can buy just that part...
    You should be able to buy the Y connector harness by itself. I did a few years ago. I made my own trailer harness as I wanted a six wire connection to the trailer and after market harnesses weren't very available then.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

I hope so because I may have to return this one.....Also the 4pin plug at the end is a square job. so I have to cut that off and add in a flat 4 pin connector also.....some times it pays just to buy new.....

Spyder Garage

The BRP harness does end in a square 4 pin. So buying new will get you the same thing. The harness you need is in both the 2018 and 2019 accessories catalog.

RT harness.jpg

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I hope so because I may have to return this one.....Also the 4pin plug at the end is a square job. so I have to cut that off and add in a flat 4 pin connector also.....some times it pays just to buy new.....
    You might be able to cut the 4 pin square connector in two. Or, as others have done, split the flat 4 connector, tape it together, and it'll fit in the square 4.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

BILLYBOVINE would you happen to have a part number...... ill take a look because I really do not want to cut into a harness .need to keep this a s clean looking as possible.. guys all of you have been a great help.

Spyder Garage

It's in his screen shot. It's labeled style.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Just keep in mind what BRP is calling the "Control Module Harness" is just the Y harness. That will plug and play into the Spyder main harness. You still need the other 2 parts that you bought from another member.

As for the square Hopkins plug that BRP uses. Yes you can cut it off and replace with a flat one. But I would be inclined to just make an adapter. That way if in the future you wish to hookup a BRP trailer for some reason you still can. The Hopkins 4 square plug is available on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-47975...e+trailer+plug

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

BROTHER YOU ARE THE GREATEST...I bought the y harness off of ebay and I was about to cut the square part off and do just what you described . buying the adapter is so much cleaner....I could you but that would be awkward... If you come to spyder odysseys this year dinner is on me. deal.....