Thread: Bad Key Error

Spyder Garage

Default Bad Key Error

This morning, my wifes 2012 RT would not turn over. Display booted fine and it sits on a battery tender. After turning the key back off the display showed a 'Bad Key' error. I tried the other key and all is well.

• What would cause a bad key error (I know a bad key LOL). More so, what would cause a key to go bad?
    • I assume it may need a new key? If so, what are the costs? Or just a re-programming? I know a new key for my Buick is about $185 USD....assume the Spyder key would not be cheap either.

Thank you!
    2012 RT-SE5

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Have you retried the key to see if the error was temporary or permanent. If it now works, some RF interference from your cell phone or another car key or key fob very close by can interrupt the reading of the chip. If it looks like the failure is permanant, some physical damage may have occurred, or the chip just failed. Was there any physical trauma...did it go through the laundry, ie the dryer. Costs are all over the place to have a dealer replace the key. Do a forum search for stories on that. It would be the cost of a blank, the cost of cutting, then the cost of programming, but under 100 bucks should be reasonable. You could try seeing a locksmith to see if he can test the chip to see if it responds to an interrogation. He might then, be able to just clone the key to your existing one. Another option is to have a locksmith cut and clone a new blank.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 09-30-2018 at 10:35 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Have you retried the key to see if the error was temporary or permanent. If it now works, some RF interference from your cell phone or another car key or key fob very close by can interrupt the reading of the chip. If it looks like the failure is permanant, some physical damage may have occurred, or the chip just failed. Was there any physical trauma...did it go through the laundry, ie the dryer. Costs are all over the place to have a dealer replace the key. Do a forum search for stories on that. It would be the cost of a blank, the cost of cutting, then the cost of programming, but under 100 bucks should be reasonable. You could try seeing a locksmith to see if he can test the chip to see if it responds to an interrogation. He might then, be able to just clone the key to your existing one. Another option is to have a locksmith cut and clone a new blank.
    One additional culprit has been reported: COLD a key was left outside overnight in freezing conditions, would not work till the key was at more reasonable operating temperature. Little early yet for that so hopefully it is just a interruption problem from too many similar chips.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Thank you for the information and ideas. I did retry and still toast. Not sure what may have done it in. It may have gotten wet in rainy rides more than a few times, but would hope it is designed to tolerate that...or heat and cold. Will call the dealer tomorrow to see if I can have checked out.
    2012 RT-SE5

Spyder Garage

Paid $56.99 for a new blank key. I hope your dealer is better-informed than mine. The Parts guy said all keys are blank and only need to be coded by the computer. WRONG..... They need to be cut just like any other key and then coded to the bike.
    Last edited by canamjhb; 09-30-2018 at 08:40 PM.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raknid View Post
    Thank you for the information and ideas. I did retry and still toast. Not sure what may have done it in. It may have gotten wet in rainy rides more than a few times, but would hope it is designed to tolerate that...or heat and cold. Will call the dealer tomorrow to see if I can have checked out.
    Sometimes they can just go bad. Rarely but sometimes. Even if you got a leak in the key covering the chip inside is still sealed. You likely did nothing wrong to cause this.

BRP key. Make sure you make it clear to the parts guy that your Spyder is a 2012. There are 2 types of keys. The chips inside are not compatible. They look the same on the outside. Buy the blank and take it to a locksmith or hardware store to have it cut. Then back to dealer to have your Spyder programmed to accept the new key.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raknid View Post
    This morning, my wifes 2012 RT would not turn over. Display booted fine and it sits on a battery tender. After turning the key back off the display showed a 'Bad Key' error. I tried the other key and all is well.

• What would cause a bad key error (I know a bad key LOL). More so, what would cause a key to go bad?
    • I assume it may need a new key? If so, what are the costs? Or just a re-programming? I know a new key for my Buick is about $185 USD....assume the Spyder key would not be cheap either.

Thank you!
    Hi, Did you see/and read the "D.E.S.S KEY CODE AGIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". I started that thread. There are some good ideas on that thread.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD