Spyder Garage

Default Handlebar bolt problems

I was trying to remove the upper handlebar bolt when it stepped out the head of the bolt. I needed to remove the upper bolts to install a Lamonster ram mount.
    Is there some way to remove the bolts short taking it to the dealer? I am thinking an easy out may work but I no experience with easy out screw/bolt removal. The thread locker that BRP uses makes bolt removal very difficult and I am concerned it will make using an easy out unworkable.
    Any advice would be helpful and appreciated.
    Thanks
    Hey, tried an easy out....the head of the bolt snapped off. Could this be a good thing? Can the other bolts be removed and the bars raised enough to grip the bolt to turn the broken one?
    Last edited by stillwater; 09-25-2018 at 11:25 PM.

Spyder Garage

Most EZ outs will do, thankfully the bolts your attempting are easily accessible. Hitting the center & keeping straight is the trick. May wanna try 1 size smaller as a pilot hole maybe you have a bud that has experience & can assist. You will want to replace the bolts after they are out as the tool marks will be ugly & possibly rust.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default This is what I used to do the same thing you're trying to do...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I hammered it hard and all four bolts came out!

2017 Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Default Handelbar bolts

I Spyderman

yes BRP puts loctite very solid, although you little used a small impact air tool 3/8 drive.

FlyBoy2121
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

Spyder Garage

Get a soldering iron and put it onto the center of the bolt you want to remove. Get it good and hot. The heat from the iron will melt the thread locking compound without damaging anything surrounding it.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

I am pretty certain his original post indicates he stripped out the Allen wrench hex on the bolt.

Doubtful a hand or pneumatic impact gun will get it loose if the wrench fails to grip.

While an easy out may work, myself, I would be very concerned the easy out will snap. On our Spyder, those bolts were not only thread locked, but very tight.

Maybe try forcing an 8mm into the stripped 7mm hex after drill it slightly. Otherwise, I could see needing to drill the bolt head completely off, removing the bars and then use Vise Grip pliers to unwind the remainder of the bolt.
    Last edited by PMK; 09-29-2018 at 05:50 AM.

Spyder Garage
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Both

Use the soldering iron to get it hot. Then tap the 7mm Allen socket all the way in with a hammer. Then put the ratcheting wrench on it, and loosen it. Doubt the head is ruined all the way in. Try!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If it is stripped use a extractor that goes around the outside of the bolt. (Bolt Extractor)

Example"

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-6-Pack-Impact-Bolt-Extractor-Set/1000594521?cm_mmc=SCE_BINGPLA_ONLY-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-PowerToolAccessories-_-1000594521:CRAFTSMAN&CAWELAID=&kpid=1000594521&CAG PSPN=pla{ifdyn:dyn}&k_clickID=7fc37dde-74bb-47c4-ac56-63008146388c&msclkid=56f80b5fd84f1d4eeceb50f51bab5 35f

Use a hair dryer or heat gun to help soften the loctite

Spyder Garage

Default Tried easy out- snapped

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Most EZ outs will do, thankfully the bolts your attempting are easily accessible. Hitting the center & keeping straight is the trick. May wanna try 1 size smaller as a pilot hole maybe you have a bud that has experience & can assist. You will want to replace the bolts after they are out as the tool marks will be ugly & possibly rust.
    Tried using an easy type tool an the head of the bolt snapped off! So I contacted BRP service and without the part number for the bolt thy could not look up any recommendation, their comments said they were not trained mechanics and it would be best to take it to a dealer.
    So, I tried the dealership and of course they weren’t sure what it would take to fix and didn’t have a replacement bolt in stock. But they put it in as a warranty issue and it will be covered. So as soon as the dealer gets the bolt I hope to get it fixed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stillwater View Post
    Tried using an easy type tool an the head of the bolt snapped off! So I contacted BRP service and without the part number for the bolt thy could not look up any recommendation, their comments said they were not trained mechanics and it would be best to take it to a dealer.
    So, I tried the dealership and of course they weren’t sure what it would take to fix and didn’t have a replacement bolt in stock. But they put it in as a warranty issue and it will be covered. So as soon as the dealer gets the bolt I hope to get it fixed.
    Downside is that unless the easy out releases with minimal effort, there is no quick meand to drill off the bolt head. With the ability to drill off the bolt head, the handlebar could be raised and slid off the reamaining bolt section. The remaining bolt section could be removed with Vise Grip pliers.

Since the allen bolt head is down in the recess there is no means to grab the bolt head itself, since no clearance exists.

All the best with it and I hope they get it out easily.

I just noticed you did say tne bolt head snapped off. If the head broke clean, with only the bolts round diameter left, then yes, remove the other bolts and raise the bars to remove the remaining bolt section.
    Last edited by PMK; 09-29-2018 at 06:45 AM.