Spyder Garage

Default A QUESTION ABOUT SHOCKS

So, in looking over the specifications for my 2017 RT-S that I downloaded from BRP, I read that the front shocks are Sachs "Big Bore" shocks, and that the rear is also a Sachs along with the airbag. Now I may be mistaken, but the front shocks look and feel just like the wimpy OEM shocks that were on my 2013 RT-L. They are so soft that I am really careful on curves. So my question is, did the 2017 RT-S really come with Sachs shocks? If it was supposed to , I didn't get them.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

my 2017 has them, and they are very similar if not identical
    to the Sachs that were on my 2014.
    There are upgrade options.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking.....

Have you taken a look at the shock and see what is stamped on it. Should have some identifying marks on them to let you know ...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Black kind of shock body, metallic sort of spring? If so then they are Sachs shocks with BRP springs. Typical oem setup.

These have no preload adjusters, and for us they were undersprung. Not bad, but certainly setup for a comfy softer ride. As a rider, I am about 215 pounds with gear, so within Can Ams average rider weight range. Heavy riders or those that carry a lot of stuff in the storage boxes can overpower the oem springs.

Early on, I upgraded to the Can Am accessory FoxShox. Between the better damper and firmer spring, along with the Baja Ron swaybar, our 14 corners with no percieved lean to the chassis, while still being a reasonably good ride at my / our weight when riding two up.

Spyder Garage

I should be receiving my Stage 2 Elka's any day! I'll be sure to post my results when they're on my 2018 RTL.

Spyder Garage

Dwight.
    The best upgrade for the suspension is the RonBar.
    Less expensive than new shocks and far more effective.
    If the RonBar doesn't do it, then consider new shocks in addition.

When are we going riding ?? I have a hottie to go with me.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee,
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I may be mistaken, but I thought Sach was the vendor for all BRP Spyder OEM shocks, unless specifically upgraded to the Fox.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

I just now took a long look at both front shocks with a powerful LED flashlight, and there are no markings whatsoever on them. I think that they are just the basic POS OEM shocks & not Sachs. Did I get screwed? Steve, I already have in mind a BajaRon swaybar, I had one on my 2013 RT-L and it made a world of difference. I'll get it next season & a laser alignment as well when I get the first service done. Ron Netzley is 8 miles from Arctic Adventures, and his son will put the bar on and do the alignment, then on down the road to AA for my first service.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Netzley did my sway bar, laser alignment, rear Kumho tire and the bumpskid.
    The only think I regret about the bumpskid, is I should have gotten the one with the LED lights.
    Now I have to install the LED strip separately. Probably this winter.
    Let me know when you go, I'm thinking of getting a set of three tires in the spring.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey