Spyder Garage

Default BRP driver backrest

New owner here. Have a 2016 RTL on which the original owner installed a BRP backrest. I cannot remove it from the seat no matter how hard I pull. The release lever is free and pivots all the way to the opposite side. I have loosened the screws holding the latch mechanism to the mounting bracket thinking that maybe they were installed too tight. No difference. Is there some trick to this?

Thanks,

Rick

Spyder Garage

May sound silly, but are you pulling the backrest up at an angle towards the front of the machine? Mine does not come out easily either, but I definitely need to pull up at the angle that the bars go into the seat. Otherwise, your mechanism is definitely stuck. Not sure about the inner workings of the latch, but you might need to somehow get under the seat with a screwdriver to pry open the latch.

Spyder Garage

Just went out to garage and tried pulling at a forward angle.... still no luck. It just doesn't budge. I didn't know to try to remove it at angle since the bike came with it installed. Now I know. Thanks! Thinking I'm going to have to remove the seat to work on it. Scheduled for the 3000 mile check/oil change, etc. next week. Maybe the dealer can have some luck with it.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Rickster48 View Post
    New owner here. Have a 2016 RTL on which the original owner installed a BRP backrest. I cannot remove it from the seat no matter how hard I pull. The release lever is free and pivots all the way to the opposite side. I have loosened the screws holding the latch mechanism to the mounting bracket thinking that maybe they were installed too tight. No difference. Is there some trick to this?

Thanks,

Rick
    If you find you don't want you back rest I will be more than glad to take it off your hands.