Spyder Garage

Default Maiden voyage 2018 RT/L - Brake Squeak

Took it out for its maiden voyage. Local park, 45mph max, no hard braking, about 22miles
    I seem to have developed a squeak in my brakes. Normal?
    I see a few have suggested a hard stop at 30mph but that’s a no no during the break in.
    Should I be concerned?

Spyder Garage

Should you be concerned Klefty? Probably not! Most Spyders, in fact most vehicles with disc brakes will tend to have some brake squeaking/squealing during new pad/disc bed-in time, and it will generally (but not always - see later comment) go away with a few firm applications of the brakes.

Bear with me for a bit while I explain.... the hard braking that's been recommended is NOT meant to emulate panic stops nor is it really anything that's not recommended or allowable during new bike break in period, it's simply a few reasonably firm brake applications from about 30-40mph without locking the wheels or even slowing to a stop!! Don't slam the brakes on, just squeeze the pedal down fairly firmly as if you are slowing for an amber light that you could've easily made but cos there's a cop waiting on the cross street you decided to be safe rather than risk the very last seconds of amber.... Only for the brake bed-in braking applications, you don't want to get much slower than about 10-15mph! Then gently get back up to speed for at least 30 seconds/a minute or so before repeating (to make sure the brakes cool off between applications) then repeat the firm squeeze thing. Do that maybe as many as a half dozen times & the bed-in should be done & the squeak gone, at least when travelling forwards!

Do be aware that your Spyder brakes may still squeak gently at slooow speeds, especially if you are gently rolling backwards; they may even squeak a little without your foot on the pedal when you slowly start off in either direction. That's usually just the pads (that were pressed/held firmly on the disc until moments ago from when you stopped last) vibrating momentarily on the discs until they get pushed clear by the slight/minute side to side movement of the disc as the wheel & disc assembly starts to turn. It's quite common, even more so on vehicles with 'better brakes' like the Brembos on the 2013-on Spyders, and it isn't usually an issue. It generally is only of short duration; rarely happens with firm brake applications rather than gentle/tentative squeezes; and if it bothers you, it can sometimes be resolved by taking the pads off & covering their 'non-braking material' back sides with an anti-squeal compound before re-installation, but for some it will be virtually impossible to stop the noise entirely simply because noise is one of the potential by-products of rubbing a turning smooth object like a disc with a fixed object of slightly abrasive material like a pad - if the touch is soft enough something will vibrate & that can mean noise! So you needn't be concerned about that.

However, if the squeal is continuous regardless of speed &/or brake applications, get off the Spyder & have it trailered to the nearest Dealer!!

Ps: welcome to the Forum! Enjoy your Spyder.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-21-2018 at 03:26 AM. Reason: 'pad' not 'ooad'!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome,

hope it's not an issue.

Spyder Garage

I have owned 2 new Spyders now both RT's and both had a bit of brake squeal at times,Turn up the radio lol
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended