Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you did the Tail of the Dragon and not the Cherohala Skyway, then you missed the best part. I would suggest ending your BRP run in Cherokee and keeping over to Robbinsville for the night. From there, you will be in the middle of the best roads of all. From there, you can do part of Moonshiner 28, The Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, Fontana Dam, and Fugitive Dam (from the Harrison Ford movie). You will not regret that 1 day stop over.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Default You've had a lot of good advice so here's a different twist...

I am from Ontario as well and driven to The Villages, close to your FL location, by car for the last three years. I drove highway 75 all the way from Detroit at the end of the 401. Hi 75 in Kentucky and Tennessee is very nice and even scenic in some areas. Also not too busy. So if you think you may want to do some highway at some point the 75 is way better than the 95. So you could do 401 to Detroit, back roads of Michigan and Ohio, 75 in Kentucky and Tennessee, back roads in Georgia with possibly a trip to Augusta and 75 in North FL.

Good luck

JBIM
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jbim View Post
    I am from Ontario as well and driven to The Villages, close to your FL location, by car for the last three years. I drove highway 75 all the way from Detroit at the end of the 401. Hi 75 in Kentucky and Tennessee is very nice and even scenic in some areas. Also not too busy. So if you think you may want to do some highway at some point the 75 is way better than the 95. So you could do 401 to Detroit, back roads of Michigan and Ohio, 75 in Kentucky and Tennessee, back roads in Georgia with possibly a trip to Augusta and 75 in North FL.

Good luck

JBIM
    JBIM, I have driven the Interstates, almost all of them (81, 95, 77, 79, 75), between Ontario and FL over the past 6 years, both ways, and other inter-connecting roads as well. Together with my SO, we have often done this non-stop, switching off every few hours, making the full trip, Peterborough-Leesburg, in under 24 hours. When I'm alone in my car, I'm often a 'long-haul type' driver; 12, 14, even up to 18 hours in a day, and anywhere from 700-800+ miles. On my Spyder, I try to enjoy the back roads, maybe do 300-350 miles tops in a day and actually appreciate the countryside I'm adventuring through, as well as take some time to enjoy the local people, see how they live. I've spent a working life rushing here and there, feeling 'self-important' about what it was I was supposed to be doing. Well, it was 'a living' of sorts; it paid for the groceries and toys. Now, I'm more concerned about fully enjoying the toys and the benefits of having 'paid my dues'.

I agree that 75 is a much better route then 95, by far. You might look at crossing at Buffalo, taking 90 to Cleveland, then 276 to Columbus, OH, and over to Cincinatti, to pick up 75. Saves the mess of Detroit and construction. Or, 79 from Erie, PA down to 77 and through the Carolinas is pretty decent (busier than 75), but then you have to take 26 from Columbia, SC over towards Charleston, to hook up with 95 south to FL, and that's a part of 95 I really do not enjoy driving.

So, back roads for me, along with a slower life style.

Cheers
    Last edited by bushrat; 09-20-2018 at 09:48 AM.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Default Check Their Website

For closures and anything els on the Blue Ridge Parkway

Spyder Garage

Default Living Life

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    On my Spyder, I try to enjoy the back roads, maybe do 300-350 miles tops in a day and actually appreciate the countryside I'm adventuring through, as well as take some time to enjoy the local people, see how they live. I've spent a working life rushing here and there, feeling 'self-important' about what it was I was supposed to be doing. Well, it was 'a living' of sorts; it paid for the groceries and toys. Now, I'm more concerned about fully enjoying the toys and the benefits of having 'paid my dues'.
    Great outlook! Enjoy your trip!
    2017 F3 , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    If you did the Tail of the Dragon and not the Cherohala Skyway, then you missed the best part. I would suggest ending your BRP run in Cherokee and keeping over to Robbinsville for the night. From there, you will be in the middle of the best roads of all. From there, you can do part of Moonshiner 28, The Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, Fontana Dam, and Fugitive Dam (from the Harrison Ford movie). You will not regret that 1 day stop over.
    Indeed, I was aware of the beauty of the Cherohala, and perhaps passed up something I should have done. I was anxious to get to FL, so didn't spend the additional time on the Skyway last year. I did do several great portions of the routes you mention - 28, 129 (Dragon, Fontana) back through Cherokee and 19, into Maggie Valley; then drove from Waynesville on 74 and other routes in a SW direction to hook up with Interstate 75. This year, I'm looking at maybe coming off the Blue Ridge just a little west of 276 and Skinny Dip Falls, south on 215 to 64, then 64/246 west and south until I can pick up 23 near Dillard. After that, south on 23 until I can pick up 441, near Baldwin, which I can follow all the way to my FL destination.

Any comments or suggestions??? You seem to know the roads. BTW, I may divert from the Blue Ridge part way down, near Boone, to ride 'The Snake' over to Bristol, TN, then back down to the Blue Ridge, at Linville.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Indeed, I was aware of the beauty of the Cherohala, and perhaps passed up something I should have done. I was anxious to get to FL, so didn't spend the additional time on the Skyway last year. I did do several great portions of the routes you mention - 28, 129 (Dragon, Fontana) back through Cherokee and 19, into Maggie Valley; then drove from Waynesville on 74 and other routes in a SW direction to hook up with Interstate 75. This year, I'm looking at maybe coming off the Blue Ridge just a little west of 276 and Skinny Dip Falls, south on 215 to 64, then 64/246 west and south until I can pick up 23 near Dillard. After that, south on 23 until I can pick up 441, near Baldwin, which I can follow all the way to my FL destination.

Any comments or suggestions??? You seem to know the roads. BTW, I may divert from the Blue Ridge part way down, near Boone, to ride 'The Snake' over to Bristol, TN, then back down to the Blue Ridge, at Linville.
    That sounds like a good plan that you have. If I wason 64 heading west, I would get off in Highlands and take 28 south. From Just below Highlands, you can take Warwoman Rd. This will Still take you to 23, but you will enter it in Clayton (which is further south). Warwoman rd. is a very nice rd. to compliment the leg of 28.
    As for getting off the BRP in Boone, to do "The Snake". It is great, but that will take you back up north and west, instead of south. You could stay on the BRP to Little Switzerland and then do 226A (The Diamond Back). This is a loop, but well worth it. From there, stay off the BRP and take 221 south. Make a right on 70 west, and then another right on to hwy 80 (The Devils Whip). This will take you back to the BRP, just north of the Mt. Mitchel exit. From there you can continue south. This will keep you going south and west, instead of going north towards the Snake. If you do decide to do the Snake, get back on the BRP before linville falls so that you will not miss the Viaducts. Here are a couple of pictures taken at a few locations.

Spyder Garage

blacklightning... many, many thanks; your posts have been extremely helpful. I sincerely appreciate your knowledge of the area roads and the very welcome advice and hints on where to head. Maybe we'll meet up at some point; lunch or dinner will be on me. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    That sounds like a good plan that you have. If I wason 64 heading west, I would get off in Highlands and take 28 south. From Just below Highlands, you can take Warwoman Rd. This will Still take you to 23, but you will enter it in Clayton (which is further south). Warwoman rd. is a very nice rd. to compliment the leg of 28.
    As for getting off the BRP in Boone, to do "The Snake". It is great, but that will take you back up north and west, instead of south. You could stay on the BRP to Little Switzerland and then do 226A (The Diamond Back). This is a loop, but well worth it. From there, stay off the BRP and take 221 south. Make a right on 70 west, and then another right on to hwy 80 (The Devils Whip). This will take you back to the BRP, just north of the Mt. Mitchel exit. From there you can continue south. This will keep you going south and west, instead of going north towards the Snake. If you do decide to do the Snake, get back on the BRP before linville falls so that you will not miss the Viaducts. Here are a couple of pictures taken at a few locations.
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

blacklightning... many, many thanks; your posts have been extremely helpful. I sincerely appreciate your knowledge of the area roads and the very welcome advice and hints on where to head. Maybe we'll meet up at some point; lunch or dinner will be on me. Cheers.
    Wish you could come down a bit earlier for the spyder adventures in Maggie Valley. We will be there 10/10-14. Either way, you should have quite an adventure. God Speed.
    Been going to the NC/Tenn mountains and surrounding areas every year (sometimes 2-3 times) for the past 10. My early retirement plan would to be to buy a cabin up there and run daily tours, rides, and give ride reports. Hey, it would be a dream job, but I guy can dream.
    Last edited by blacklightning; 09-20-2018 at 07:54 PM.

Spyder Garage

Hey bushrat, I'm 77 and new to riding and just picked up an F3L a few weeks ago. Sounds like a fun trip your planning. If you would like a companion on your trip I would happy to join you. I'm in Vineland NJ. Of course I'd have to get the proper cold weather gear. Let me know what you think.

Joe
    Lamonster Bright Ryder,
    Lamonster Bright Tail Lighter,
    Lamonster H4 LED Headlights,
    Lamonster LED Fog Lights,
    Lamonster Fog Light Ring Combo,
    Rox Riser
    Lamonster Driver Back Rest,
    Lamonster Frame Mount Drink Holder.
    Lamonster 15" Freedom Shield Wind Shield
    ******* USA flag
    Freecom 2 head sets
    Mirror Wedgies by Squared Away
    Motorcycle Dave's Tachform phone cradle
    Spyderpops Turnsignal LEDs
    Spyder Sisters Shade
    Spyderpops LidLocs
    Spyderpops front fender LEDs by Show Chrome
    Motorcycle Dave's Gel seat insert
    2018 F3L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jlc41 View Post
    Hey bushrat, I'm 77 and new to riding and just picked up an F3L a few weeks ago. Sounds like a fun trip your planning. If you would like a companion on your trip I would happy to join you. I'm in Vineland NJ. Of course I'd have to get the proper cold weather gear. Let me know what you think.

Joe
    Hi Joe:
    It would be great to have some company on this adventure. I am sending you a PM, and we can discuss details further. Thanks for this.
    Roger
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Interesting, if you google BRP first thing that comes up is "Bombardier Recreational Products"
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

So, back roads for me, along with a slower life style.

Cheers
    That sounds like a great adventure. I should do it one day but we are not going down south this year. Maybe next!
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark