Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Planning a trip...input help/comments welcome

This fall, rather than dragging my F3L Spyder to FL from Ontario on a trailer behind my Jeep, I am thinking of ryding it down. It will be a challenge, but I think it's still do-able, for me, at 77. I don't have to hurry, and I really prefer the scenic back roads while avoiding the Interstate. My thoughts are to leave Peterborough, ON, around the 25th of Oct. I can cross at either Buffalo or Thousand islands, then head down through central NY and into PA in the general direction of Harrisburg. From there, I'm contemplating riding Skyline Drive through Shenandoah, then the Blue Ridge Parkway pretty much from top to bottom, at least over towards Asheville, NC, thence down through NC, SC, Ga and on to Leesburg, FL, just south of Ocala.

I know the end of October puts me pretty close to when things along the BRP route begin to shut down. I'm thinking that it will take me 2 days just to reach the starting point of Skyline Drive, so perhaps I'll be able to start from there on the 27th or 28th of Oct. Looks like I could spend 3 or maybe 4 days just riding Skyline and Blue Ridge. Is that reasonable? Can anyone familiar with the area tell me what the weather might be like - is it possible to run into problems at that time? How about any damage from Hurricane Florence? Thinking that once I make it to Asheville, I should be pretty much OK. Did part of that area while trailering the Spyder last fall about the same time, with a day or two unloaded and riding Maggie Valley, a bit of the Smokies, over to the Dragon and back through Cherokee. Loved every minute of it.

So, if anyone has suggestions to assist this crazy old coot, I'm all ears. I'll be riding alone and probably pulling the little trailer I picked up this summer. Hoping to ryde all winter with the wonderful gang in Tavares, FL - "Hump Day Riders", who let me tag along on their Wednesday outings most of last winter. This will be the first time I've been out overnight on an extended ryde on the Spyder, and it's been since 1971, in Europe, when I last went off for a few months and several thousand Kms on a Suzuki. Wonder if the old bod can hold out; looking forward to the challenge.

Thanks in advance for any input/advice you wish to toss my way. Cheers.

20180816_155232.jpg
    Last edited by bushrat; 09-18-2018 at 08:08 PM.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Sounds like an adventure. Sure wish I could join you but I'm still grinding away to pay the bills. 8 or 10 years and I'll be able too. Backroads are the only way to ride.

Spyder Garage

Default Spider Adventures

Is in Maggie Valley right south of Asheville a little ways. I think it starts on the 10th of October. You should leave a little early and stop for it.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like an enjoyable adventure. I, too, am in my 70s and have been doing extended bike trips for over 30 years. A good rule of thumb is to plan on traveling 50 miles for every hour you are in the saddle. IE; 4 hours to cover 200 miles, 6 hours to cover 300 miles, etc. I don't know the east coast by bike so you may need to adjust for more congestion and people. Have fun and be safe.....
    Last edited by canamjhb; 09-18-2018 at 10:25 PM.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Enjoy the ride

That sounds great !

Spyder Garage

I think you should be OK cold weather-wise all the way through to the end of the BRP but one never knows. Skyline Drive is going to be only a morning's ride. If you do hit crappy weather you can still pick your way a bit eastward and southward through VA and NC backroads. Florence may have caused some problems on the BRP but I'm not certain.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marr View Post
    Is in Maggie Valley right south of Asheville a little ways. I think it starts on the 10th of October. You should leave a little early and stop for it.
    Thanks Marr; unfortunately, I can't leave prior to Oct. 24/25, so will regrettably have to pass on Spyder Adventures. Even as it is, I have moved my departure up from the original plan of 6 Nov. Would love to go early in Oct., but not possible this year.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Funny you should mention riding Skyline Drive and the BRP. I did this route (all of both) 1 year ago. As stated, Skyline drive is only 110 miles, and we did that in 1/2 day. Then we went from there to Boone, NC. (that took 1 day). The last leg (actually first, since we went from south to north) was from Boone to Cherokee (that is also a 1 day ride). You should be fine, as most of it should be open year round. Normally things don't get questionable until mid November. There could possibly be some light snowfall near Mt. Mitchell, but probably not. As someone else stated, it would be nice if you could start a little early and make it down to Maggie Valley for the Spyder Adventures rally. The only issues that I have when traveling the BRP in October are the "leafers". By that, I mean the people on their cars, suv's, and motor homes that come down and stop all along the sides of the road to take pictures of the beautiful foilage. With all the overlooks, they should just pull off there, but they don't. Either way, you should have a wonderful and relaxing ride down. I don't ride solo very often (over 250 miles), but that sounds like an adventure that I hope to do one day. Be safe and enjoy yourself. Wish I could join you.
    BTW, Skyline drive has a 35 mph speed limit, and they are serious about it. Most of the BRP is 45, and pretty lax about enforcement. As you travel south, the views get more beautiful. Especially south of Boone (where the BRP crosses 421).
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    ..... A good rule of thumb is to plan on traveling 50 miles for every hour you are in the saddle. IE; 4 hours to cover 200 miles, 6 hours to cover 300 miles, etc. .....
    Thanks for the tip; helps to judge travel time needed.
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Funny you should mention riding Skyline Drive and the BRP. I did this route (all of both) 1 year ago. As stated, Skyline drive is only 110 miles, and we did that in 1/2 day. Then we went from there to Boone, NC. (that took 1 day). The last leg (actually first, since we went from south to north) was from Boone to Cherokee (that is also a 1 day ride). You should be fine, as most of it should be open year round. Normally things don't get questionable until mid November. There could possibly be some light snowfall near Mt. Mitchell, but probably not. As someone else stated, it would be nice if you could start a little early and make it down to Maggie Valley for the Spyder Adventures rally. The only issues that I have when traveling the BRP in October are the "leafers". By that, I mean the people on their cars, suv's, and motor homes that come down and stop all along the sides of the road to take pictures of the beautiful foilage. With all the overlooks, they should just pull off there, but they don't. Either way, you should have a wonderful and relaxing ride down. I don't ride solo very often (over 250 miles), but that sounds like an adventure that I hope to do one day. Be safe and enjoy yourself. Wish I could join you.
    BTW, Skyline drive has a 35 mph speed limit, and they are serious about it. Most of the BRP is 45, and pretty lax about enforcement. As you travel south, the views get more beautiful. Especially south of Boone (where the BRP crosses 421).
    Thanks so much for the detailed comment; just what I was looking for from someone who has done it. Much appreciated, especially the 'lookout' tips. Cheers.
    [SIGPIC]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

At the end of October: the weather can throw just about anything at you...
    Pack and dress for the worst possible conditions, and you'll be ready for anything!
    Have a GREAT trip!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I think you should be OK cold weather-wise all the way through to the end of the BRP but one never knows. Skyline Drive is going to be only a morning's ride. If you do hit crappy weather you can still pick your way a bit eastward and southward through VA and NC backroads. Florence may have caused some problems on the BRP but I'm not certain.
    Really appreciate the insight and suggestions; thanks for the input. Cheers.
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

I have ridden Skyline/Blue Ridge Parkway as late as Thanksgiving (November) and had no issues other than chilly temps. You will encounter some chilly mornings, but it should warm nicely as the day goes on. One thing that can be ugly is the fog and if the road is socked in for the day you may want to avoid it. There are plenty of nice roads that parallel the Parkway at a lower elevation if you do decide to get off. There is no fuel on the parkway so plan accordingly, but fuel and "civilization" are never very far away. The peak time for fall colors may have passed by the time you get there, but there may be some colorful areas left. No matter what time of year you ride the Parkway you need to be prepared for weather changes. I have went from cold weather gear to summer gear in as little as 50 miles on the Parkway and maybe tossed in a few minutes with rain gear during that transition. A heated jacket liner and a good pair of riding pants really come in handy on the Parkway. I just rode Skyline/Blue Ridge a few weeks ago on my Yamaha T-Max and there was a bit of road work at the southern end of the Parkway. I am sure this will all be complete by the time you take your trip. Maggie Valley is a great place to spend some time even if you can't make the rally. I am in southern Ohio and I get to the area at least four times a year. Great roads to ride and after the October leaf season the traffic is greatly diminished.

2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

At 77 you have 10 years on my wife and I but we do extended rides all the time, we camp and stay in Hotels, this year we rode to Deadwood , we have taken several trips with with some friends and Ken is 82 . Like Bob said just dress for the worst and enjoy the trip. I have always said that all road trips are fun, some are just more fun than others.
    IMG_2038.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    At the end of October: the weather can throw just about anything at you...
    Pack and dress for the worst possible conditions, and you'll be ready for anything!
    Have a GREAT trip!
    Thanks Bob; appreciate your wise comments. I'm hoping not to repeat mistakes I made almost 40 years ago when I headed into northern Italy and then the French Alps wearing not much more than a thin leather jacket with no zips, only a couple of failing buttons and one pair of jeans. Freezing rain and sleet nearly did me in. Thankfully, a French bar owner revived me with a bottle of Cognac, and let me stay in a spare room until I got my wet clothes dried out and my body warmed up enough to continue. Trying not to repeat those youthful rash and foolish attempts at m/c travel. Cheers.
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

To check the road conditions of both Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway, check our National Park Service’s web site (www.nps.gov).

I grew up in the Virginia Highlands (not too far from the BRP). We almost always got snow by Halloween (Oct 31). As previously stated, Mt Mitchel will be the biggest weather concern. I would google its weather during the time you expect to be there.

As you may know, there are very few services right along the drive or parkway. Gas is the main concern. Big Meadows on Skyline Drive offers gas and there is perhaps something near Peaks of Otter on the Parkway. Other than that, you will probably need to get off the parkway and head toward “civilization.”

Food is a bit more available but stock up when you have the chance. Nothing worse than running out of food and water.

Best of luck! I hope you have a grand adventure.
    2018 RT Limited Champagne Dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    I have ridden Skyline/Blue Ridge Parkway as late as Thanksgiving (November) and had no issues other than chilly temps. You will encounter some chilly mornings, but it should warm nicely as the day goes on. One thing that can be ugly is the fog and if the road is socked in for the day you may want to avoid it. There are plenty of nice roads that parallel the Parkway at a lower elevation if you do decide to get off. There is no fuel on the parkway so plan accordingly, but fuel and "civilization" are never very far away. The peak time for fall colors may have passed by the time you get there, but there may be some colorful areas left. No matter what time of year you ride the Parkway you need to be prepared for weather changes. I have went from cold weather gear to summer gear in as little as 50 miles on the Parkway and maybe tossed in a few minutes with rain gear during that transition. A heated jacket liner and a good pair of riding pants really come in handy on the Parkway. I just rode Skyline/Blue Ridge a few weeks ago on my Yamaha T-Max and there was a bit of road work at the southern end of the Parkway. I am sure this will all be complete by the time you take your trip. Maggie Valley is a great place to spend some time even if you can't make the rally. I am in southern Ohio and I get to the area at least four times a year. Great roads to ride and after the October leaf season the traffic is greatly diminished.

Many thanks for the detailed input; really appreciate hearing of your experiences and will certainly try to prepare accordingly. Your comments, along with the others, are helping me to think this through and plan it out. Sincerely appreciated.
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mhoecker View Post
    To check the road conditions of both Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway, check our National Park Service’s web site (www.nps.gov).

I grew up in the Virginia Highlands (not too far from the BRP). We almost always got snow by Halloween (Oct 31). As previously stated, Mt Mitchel will be the biggest weather concern. I would google its weather during the time you expect to be there.

As you may know, there are very few services right along the drive or parkway. Gas is the main concern. Big Meadows on Skyline Drive offers gas and there is perhaps something near Peaks of Otter on the Parkway. Other than that, you will probably need to get off the parkway and head toward “civilization.”

Food is a bit more available but stock up when you have the chance. Nothing worse than running out of food and water.

Best of luck! I hope you have a grand adventure.
    Many thanks for the planning tips and warnings re gas/food. Appreciate the links for info/travel advisories.
    Cheers.
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Route 129 ( I think ) is also called " the tail of the dragon" at Deals Gap. If you like turning your Spyder it's 129 turns in 11 miles . It's out of the Asheville area. BUT---- you had better LIKE turning. Also best done during the week and it's well patrolled on the weekends. If you go there be sure to check out the tree of shame.

Road it on a Wing with my wife-------wish I was on a !!!!!!

Lew L
    Last edited by Lew L; 09-19-2018 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Speeling
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default CoPilot?

I am planning trip to Maggie Valley and got the Copilot app for my iPhone. It lets you see what is around pretty easy and plan stops for gas and food. Just getting used to it. It has a motorcycle mode that plans nice back roads for a trip too. Might want to check it out I think there is a free version to look it over.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Route 129 ( I think ) is also called " the tail of the dragon" at Deals Gap. If you like turning your Spyder it's 129 turns in 11 miles . It's out of the Asheville area. BUT---- you had better LIKE turning. Also best done during the week and it's well patrolled on the weekends. If you go there be sure to check out the tree of shame.

Lew L
    This information is not quite correct. The Tail of the Dragon is on Route 129. But it is 318 curves in 11 miles. It is nice to say that you did it, but not as good as many roads in the area.
    Also, if you are taking the BRP to the end (in Cherokee), then this would be out of the way. It would be better to take other roads south from Cherokee. One that comes to mine would be 441 south, to Franklin and then 28 south. That is a beautiful road, and you will pass some nice waterfalls. There are many more, but it all depends on how much time you have.
    If you insist on doing the Dragon, I highly insist that you do the Cherohala Skyway. They go together like peanut butter and jelly.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Cool

This information is not quite correct. The Tail of the Dragon is on Route 129. But it is 318 curves in 11 miles. It is nice to say that you did it, but not as good as many roads in the area.
    Also, if you are taking the BRP to the end (in Cherokee), then this would be out of the way. It would be better to take other roads south from Cherokee. One that comes to mine would be 441 south, to Franklin and then 28 south. That is a beautiful road, and you will pass some nice waterfalls. There are many more, but it all depends on how much time you have.
    If you insist on doing the Dragon, I highly insist that you do the Cherohala Skyway. They go together like peanut butter and jelly.

My mistake on the# of turns--- guess I still had 129 on my mind.

We were in the area for 4 days and enjoyed lots of great roads ( the ones you mentioned included) and experienced an exceptional lightning storm .

Lew L
    Last edited by Lew L; 09-19-2018 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Speeling
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post

Lew L
    Thanks, Lew. I was able to ride 'Tail of the Dragon" last fall while trailering my Spyder to FL. Stopped in Maggie Valley overnight; rode locally a piece of the Blue Ridge and up into the Smokies. Next morning, I rode over to Deal's Gap, did the Dragon and came back through Cherokee (passed up the Cherohala for lack of time) before loading up and heading on to FL. The beauty of that area is what is telling me I should just park the trailer and simply ryde the Spyder all the way down this year. Cheers.
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevencovert View Post
    I am planning trip to Maggie Valley and got the Copilot app for my iPhone. It lets you see what is around pretty easy and plan stops for gas and food. Just getting used to it. It has a motorcycle mode that plans nice back roads for a trip too. Might want to check it out I think there is a free version to look it over.
    Thanks for the suggestion; I'll look into it. Cheers.
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Appreciate the suggestions on interesting roads from Cherokee south; I'll have a look at 441 and 28. I'm very interested to learn about nice, scenic routes between Asheville and the GA/FL border. Kind of thinking of heading generally in the direction of Augusta, Valdosta, but am free to wander and very open to any and all suggestions where I can enjoy seeing the land and the people. I have all too often rushed past these sights and adventures in past while hurrying to get somewhere. Trying to learn to slow down and enjoy more while I'm still able. Thanks for your input. Cheers.
    [SIGPIC]