Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder Owner

I just purchased a 2012 RT Limited, and am looking forward to riding it for a bit before the cold Iowa/South Dakota winter sets in. I did have a problem with the Check Engine light coming on and the motor dying at intersections when I was stopped or almost to a stop. I took it back to the dealer, and he said that they found a leaking intake. I have read about O2 sensors and vacuum hoses, and I hope he found the right issue. Everything else on it worked like dream, although I haven't yet tried the GPS.

I took the Spyder training class, which was a lot of fun. Those were 2018 models, and shifted at a low RPM. Mine always seemed to lag on the test rides, until I discovered on this forum that I need to shift at a higher RPM.

Thanks for all of the helpful advice, and I'm looking forward to reading more.

Jim20180712_150931.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome

Welcome from Mechanicsburg, PA! Enjoy... Enjoy!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome, welcome 👍

Welcome to both the spyder world and this site. Congrats on the new ryde... there have been some issues with the intake boots drying out and cracking so very possibly it is the problem. Still have them check the vaccum hoses and replace them with the silicone ones and not the oem ones. Enjoy your new ryde...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Nice looking ride. Now it's time to start making it your "own". Lots of great vendors here. Winter is a great time to do some "Tricking-out".
    Ride in comfort,
    John

Spyder Garage

and on your new Spyder. The 2012 is a 998cc twin cylinder. They like to be kept in the 5000 - 5500 rpm range--regardless of gear. The ones you rode in the class were the 1330cc triples. They have a lower operating range (3000 - 3500) rpm.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder Owner

Welcome to group. My 2013 RT likes the higher revs and higher octanes of fuel. I actually get better fuel mileage keeping it in or near the 4000-5000 rpm range. it isn't much and I do not ryde for mpg so I really don't care. It just happened.

Spyder Garage

Default heyyy also a limited !

last week picked up our ---- 2011 limited ---- ohhh went back one year in models , but the same engine size I am familiar with but so far am happy with the purchase ! IMG_20180916_114318.jpg

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NEWBIE -YEA

…. & …. ……….. YA GONNA LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE IT ...Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder events

Dumb question - what's the best site to find out about Spyder events? It would be cool to go to one sometime.

Just to let you know, in 2010, I bought a 2007 Yamaha Majesty 400 maxiscooter. That was my first bike. I took the riding class, but I didn't want to clutch, shift, downshift, and all of that stuff. Looked at some automatic bikes, because I wanted a bigger bike, but was afraid to go too big because of weight, balance, etc. I'm not a young guy any more, and I certainly don't have muscle strength

I loved the bike, but since two of my best friends bought Harleys, I really wanted to go bigger. I saw the Spyders, but couldn't afford a new one. I told the dealer to watch for a good used one, and he took this one in on trade a month or two later. I traded in my Majesty and bought the Spyder.

I'll post more pictures once I get it back from the dealer. Here are a couple of my scooter. I got a great trade-in value and I paid cash for the Spyder. Now to pay back savings...

2012-05-01_16-19-29_881.jpg2012-05-01_16-20-57_925.jpg

Jim

Spyder Garage

Jim (RoscoeJim), Welcome and congrats on your new ryde!
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Roscojim View Post
    I just purchased a 2012 RT Limited, and am looking forward to riding it for a bit before the cold Iowa/South Dakota winter sets in. I did have a problem with the Check Engine light coming on and the motor dying at intersections when I was stopped or almost to a stop. I took it back to the dealer, and he said that they found a leaking intake. I have read about O2 sensors and vacuum hoses, and I hope he found the right issue. Everything else on it worked like dream, although I haven't yet tried the GPS.

I took the Spyder training class, which was a lot of fun. Those were 2018 models, and shifted at a low RPM. Mine always seemed to lag on the test rides, until I discovered on this forum that I need to shift at a higher RPM.

Thanks for all of the helpful advice, and I'm looking forward to reading more.

Jim20180712_150931.jpg

As as a new owner myself...Congrats!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your spyder purchase and to the spyder web. Dale