Thread: Air Bag

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Air Bag

I have a 2015 RT does not have the air compressor. My air bag does lose a little air. It seems to hold around 30 to 36 pounds but I put 60 pounds in it it looses about 5 pounds over night. Has anyone ever used any type of sealant in the air bag or is this normal?
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Yes, someone earlier posted that they pulled their airbag and greenslimed it. I'm assuming they then gently added a little pressure and rolled the unmounted bag around all axis to allow the sealant to fill any leaks. It's in one of the many threads most in the RT sub forums.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Search for Doc Humphries threads. You will find info there.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Yes, someone earlier posted that they pulled their airbag and greenslimed it. I'm assuming they then gently added a little pressure and rolled the unmounted bag around all axis to allow the sealant to fill any leaks. It's in one of the many threads most in the RT sub forums.
    Thanks for the information. I will do some checking. I thought maybe a tire sealant would work but I did not know if it would go the the leak.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Some folks have done the squirt bottle of water with a drop of dawn or two, then spray the fittings to check for leaks.
    Though to fill the leak if it is the bag with sealant, you'll likely have to unmount the bag and swish it around.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

It is possible that you may have a tiny hole in air bag, but i bet you it is the 90 degree fitting on top of your air bag. Goodyear makes the air bag and it has thick wall construction. Also check your valve stem, (shrader valve). Good luck. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    It is possible that you may have a tiny hole in air bag, but i bet you it is the 90 degree fitting on top of your air bag. Goodyear makes the air bag and it has thick wall construction. Also check your valve stem, (shrader valve). Good luck. Bruce
    It was that 90 degree fitting on mine.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Default Air bag

I had a slow leak in my (no compressor) air bag. I added about 2oz (or slightly less) of AmerSeal (sold by Lamonster) tire sealant.
    It appears to be holding pressure.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by millerrdjr View Post
    I had a slow leak in my (no compressor) air bag. I added about 2oz (or slightly less) of AmerSeal (sold by Lamonster) tire sealant.
    It appears to be holding pressure.
    I have some of that sealant and thought about trying it. I am going to check the 90 degree fitting first.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    Thanks for the information. I will do some checking. I thought maybe a tire sealant would work but I did not know if it would go the the leak.
    For what it's worth Gerald, I've done this 'add slime to stop air bag leaks' thing on my RT, a couple of other Spyders, and on a whole lot of larger 'air bag suspension' vehicles with minor air bag leaks; and for all of the 'little leaks' (ie, those that aren't visible as obvious rips or tears in the bag) I have found that if you add the slime when there's no air in the bag & then add close to max air pressure quickly, the slime will be forced into the leak/hole by air pressure.... even if the leak is up the top & covered by the piston!! But I reckon you'll hafta use shop air or equivalent at bead re-seating pressure with no valve in the stem to get it to work like that; normal, slow, tire inflating pressure doesn't get enough air in there quick enough to force the slime out the leak/hole, even with the tiny air bag....

And I haven't had any issues with the bends or valves in the Spyders inflation/deflation system either - just take the valve out of the Schraeder fitting under the seat, add 20-40 or so mls of slime (it's a small air bag) via the fitting, connect the air hose & give it a momentary 100 psi blast (it IS a small, a VERY small air bag remember!!) & then refit the valve, pressurise the bag to 80-90 psi & preferably leave it sitting at that pressure for a couple of hours if possible - obviously not practical if you are on the road/heading somewhere, but ryding on with the air bag at normal pressure seems to work OK too...

Go on, give it a try, what have you got to lose??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!