Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Front Tires

Spyder Garage

Default New Front Tires

I need new front tires for my 2013 RTL. Open for suggestions. I have over 20K on the original Kendas.

Thanks,
    Rick
    USAF MSgt, Retired
    2018 F3 Intense Red
    Squared Away Lasar alignment, TricLED Headlights, Foglights,Safety Bundle with Turn Module, BajaRon Sway Bar,Squared Away Mirror Wedges, Stebel Air Horn, Dash Turn Indicators, TricLED USA Flag
    2018 F3L , Intense Red

Spyder Garage

We have installed a lot of sets of Yokohamas for lots of happy customers. Simply a great tire for the Spyder.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Any car tire will be an upgrade. I have Yokohamas that James Thorne in Houston mounted. It is an amazing difference. A Spyder is so much more than what it can be at stock components.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Federals work well too

Spyder Garage

Vredestein is the top rated tire. Great write ups on their performance. Check "Tire Rack". Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default vredestein's

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Vredestein is the top rated tire. Great write ups on their performance. Check "Tire Rack". Tom
    Tom I know Netzley couldn't get them for you ( had to buy 50 ) ….. So I guess you did get them …..from who ?? what size ?? …. what cost ???? ….who put them on ???? ………… this info will assist others who are looking …..Thanks ..Mike

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Did vredstein on my '13 rts during the summer

Spyder Garage

On the sidewall of the tires, where are those Vredestein made? Google shows Apollo Vredestein is based out of India.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Federal Formozas on our F3L, stock size.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Vredesteins

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    On the sidewall of the tires, where are those Vredestein made? Google shows Apollo Vredestein is based out of India.
    …. I'm sure some of our members wives were MADE IN INDIA ….. what do you recommend they do …….. The Vredestein has the highest ratings of any tires that will fit the Spyder..... Mike...………PS... I went to the ACTUAL Vredestein tire co. web site …. They were " acquired " by " Apollo Tyre Ltd. " in 2009 …. they do NOT make tires in India ….Apollo Tyre Ltd. is HEADQUARTERED in India ….. they list " Enschede " & Frankfurt Germany as places where they have plants ..also now in Hungary …. The company is OVER 100 years old and created the FIRST steel belted radial tire ( all season tread ) in 1972 ..... They have a lot of other " Firsts " like 2007 they designed the first " all-season tire " with " run-flat technology " the Quatrac 3 ..... For ACCURATE info go to their website and read it yourself, personally I think they are a VERY top tier tire company ….. jmho …. Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 09-19-2018 at 07:48 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    …. I'm sure some of our members wives were MADE IN INDIA ….. what do you recommend they do …….. The Vredestein has the highest ratings of any tires that will fit the Spyder..... Mike
    Mike, you might want to reconsider these comments.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default re-consider

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Mike, you might want to reconsider these comments.
    OK I have just done this. ….. ……But don't see any reason to change it …… Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 09-18-2018 at 10:23 PM.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I have Federal Formoza in the dtock on my bike and with 37,000 miles on them they still look and handle great. They have a better wet traction rating than the Yokohama. They are asymmetrical so you can rotate them without dismounting the tire.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I put Kumho Solus KH16's on my 2014 RT-S. I think your front wheels are a different size than on the 2014's and later.

IMO, my new tires made more of an improvement than installing BajaRon's sway bar.

Spyder Garage

Tom I know Netzley couldn't get them for you ( had to buy 50 ) ….. So I guess you did get them …..from who ?? what size ?? …. what cost ???? ….who put them on ???? ………… this info will assist others who are looking …..Thanks ..Mike
    Mike I bought all three tires from "Tire Rack". Had them in 2 days. The rear was $109, fronts were $80 I believe. Shipped free, no tax. Hoping Netzely's can get them on tomorrow, or Friday. Front 175/55/15, rear, 205/50/15. Vulcan Tire had them for less. But they couldn't get the rear tire. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Default VREDESTEIN TIRES

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Mike I bought all three tires from "Tire Rack". Had them in 2 days. The rear was $109, fronts were $80 I believe. Shipped free, no tax. Hoping Netzely's can get them on tomorrow, or Friday. Front 175/55/15, rear, 205/50/15. Vulcan Tire had them for less. But they couldn't get the rear tire. Tom
    Thanks - keep us posted on how you like them …...Mike

Spyder Garage

Lots of banter in this thread about tire 'ratings' These all come from tire sales web sites that 'rate' tires based on owner/purchaser polls. They are NOT tested in specific applications for these so called ratings and very few of the owners responding to theses polls have any direct experience with the tire vs a specific competitor. They also lump all sizes and applications together in the same ratings. To the point, the web site ratings other than failures, are about worthless for comparisons.

The only readily available uniform testing ratings available for tires are the The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Uniform Tire Quality Grade Standards.

The Yokos normally balance with very little weight due to high manufacturing standards and carry a V speed and temperature rating.

Back to back comparisons of them against Kenda, Federal, Continental and Kuhmo ON THE SPYDER show a marked improvement is vibration reduction, noise and responsive handling. The rear tires shows significant improvement in traction, both wet and dry. Since we have to stand behind them, we only stock top tier, name brand tires.

We have installed others brought to us by customers at their request. Some, like Aracnid have later been replaced by Yokos because of problems.
    Last edited by jcthorne; 09-19-2018 at 08:23 AM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Still getting the last miles from the Kendas around town...

We have run two sets of the Kumho Solus KH16's and have had good roll and handling. Just seems to be a little "tighter" feel to the fronts and less weight to balance.

But our OEM Kendas also got over 30,000 miles (wifes F3T still running them at 37K). Probably time to order though...KumhoFrontTires.jpgKumhoFrontTires.jpg
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Specs show Vredesdian made in Netherlands. Yokos in Thailand. Does this make a difference?
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Specs show Vredesdian made in Netherlands. Yokos in Thailand. Does this make a difference?
    countries don't matter, it is standards of the company that does.

Spyder Garage

The Yokos we have in stock show Made In USA on the side wall.

We avoid tires from off brand companies made in third world countries. Will not have chinese tires on anything I own.

Your life literally depends on the quality of tires you ride on.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default TOP TIER TIRES

Only to some folks. Personally I believe in professional tire testers and people who drive on tires at the limits of adhesion...… Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Only to some folks. Personally I believe in professional tire testers and people who drive on tires at the limits of adhesion...… Mike
    It should make zero difference where the tires are actually made.

There is no such thing as a professional tire tester. Tire testing is an occupation, not a profession.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    It should make zero difference where the tires are actually made.

Should and does are very different things. I have seen first hand the difference in construction and build quality. Low cost production centers do not turn out the same quality tire as plants in first world countries. Then there is the cost engineered difference. Lower tier manufactures have to compete on price, not performance and design and build tires accordingly, to that price point. Witness Kenda which is actually one of the better Chinese brands.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Hmmm

OK I have just done this. ….. ……But don't see any reason to change it …… Mike
    Maybe you should tread lightly ( no pun intended ), let’s try to stick to positive input on the thread at hand and not get political or personal!! It makes zero sense to get off topic...