Spyder Garage

Thumbs up 2018 RTL and the Hyper Flash Thingy.

I just purchased an 18 RTL Anniversary, installed LED turns signals and was expecting the hyperflash, tried Lamont's and Pops both with engine off and on no joy. Being it has new electronics I take it something has changed, the sequence works perfectly on my wife's 2017 F3T, I'm not against using load resisters but I would rather not go splicing into the wires unless that is the only cure.

Any help would be appreciated, also I'm not stuck on them having to flash normal but I prefer that it did just don't want to compromise the wiring of a brand new machine!

thanks in advance and enjoy the day.

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h100250 View Post
    I just purchased an 18 RTL Anniversary, installed LED turns signals and was expecting the hyperflash, tried Lamont's and Pops both with engine off and on no joy. Being it has new electronics I take it something has changed, the sequence works perfectly on my wife's 2017 F3T, I'm not against using load resisters but I would rather not go splicing into the wires unless that is the only cure.

Any help would be appreciated, also I'm not stuck on them having to flash normal but I prefer that it did just don't want to compromise the wiring of a brand new machine!

thanks in advance and enjoy the day.
    On my Spyder I had the engine running then held the Hazard switch down for about 30-40 secs
    the cluster flashed with the symbols showing for a split second
    Released the Hazard swith turned the engine off
    Restarted the Spyder no more Hyperflash
    Give this a go if you have not tried this method
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have LEDs on the mirrors and in the grooves on the saddlebags. Both TricLED lights. I believe the bag lights have capacitors in the wiring and the bike's system doesn't sense them. After installing the mirror lights I remember no change to the blinking. No splicing o wires, just plug n play.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    I have LEDs on the mirrors and in the grooves on the saddlebags. Both TricLED lights. I believe the bag lights have capacitors in the wiring and the bike's system doesn't sense them. After installing the mirror lights I remember no change to the blinking. No splicing o wires, just plug n play.
    I would really rather not touch the base wiring at all, one more thing for the dealer to point a finger, as it is now if I can't get the blinky to work correctly I'm going to leave them be with no resistors. No not overly fond of the fast blink but can live with it, and from what I've been told it;s more noticeable and or annoying to drivers bottom line they see it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post
    On my Spyder I had the engine running then held the Hazard switch down for about 30-40 secs
    the cluster flashed with the symbols showing for a split second
    Released the Hazard swith turned the engine off
    Restarted the Spyder no more Hyperflash
    Give this a go if you have not tried this method
    NO go on the sequence you mention thanks anyway, I'm going to leave it be for now.
    Last edited by h100250; 09-19-2018 at 06:26 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h100250 View Post
    I would really rather not touch the base wiring at all, one more thing for the dealer to point a finger, as it is now if I can't get the blinky to work correctly I'm going to leave them be with no resistors. No not overly fond of the fast blink but can live with it, and from what I've been told it;s more noticeable and or annoying to drivers bottom line they see it.
    Since you are having hyper flashing you have connected extra lights to the base wiring. You can't have extra turn signal lights any other way. My mirror LEDs plug right into the plug (OEM connector) that comes out for the mirrors. The rear lights are plugged into the OEM connectors but have capacitors to separate the extra lights from the base ones.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Since you are having hyper flashing you have connected extra lights to the base wiring. You can't have extra turn signal lights any other way. My mirror LEDs plug right into the plug (OEM connector) that comes out for the mirrors. The rear lights are plugged into the OEM connectors but have capacitors to separate the extra lights from the base ones.
    My apologies I should of been a little descriptive in what I did: I replaced the rear incandescent bulbs to LED's, I've not added any additional lighting at this point.

enjoy the day.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, that is different. You would need a load device to compensate or the LED bulbs. Then you do need resistors to compensate for the voltage difference. https://www.carid.com/articles/what-...to-my-car.html
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red