Spyder Garage

Default New Member....Hello!

Hello Everyone. i been checking here for about a month or two and had to join. There's alot of good info here and the forums are very active. Thank you to who ever put together the do's and don't post. That helped me greatly to figure out my RPM's and gears to be in. I was definitely going to low on the RPM's. There was tons of other good info too!

I purchased at the very end of May, a used 2014 ST Limited with 1250 miles on it with all the nice goodies it comes with plus it had a handbrake. It was in mint condition and is the silver and black colors. I hadn't driven anything other then cars since the early 90's when I rode a quad off rode. I'm still learning to ride this and improving. I need to get some good pictures to post here as I see you ask everyone to do that.

This machine sat at a used cycle dealer who sells many bikes and spyders, I'm curious why it would sit so long? I know the LT touring models sell the most but anyone know are the ST Limited not to popular? I'm a bit concerned if I'll have trouble reselling or trading in for a decent price if I decide on buying a different Spyder or Ryker. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you for letting me join and look forward to posting and seeing people post and talk about these cool machines!

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome, welcome 👍

Welcome to the spyder world and this awesome site you have a great spyder as to your questions....BRP came out with the three cylinder engine in 2014 on the RT model and has since discontinued the twin two cylinder models...GS , RS, RSS and the ST so most are looking for the triples hence yours sitting around. Sad love the twin and when you master it you will too but your trade in will be feeble at best with the new Ryker under 10 grand...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NEWBIE -YEA

& ………………. Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Loved my ST

I also had an ST - I really liked the seating position halfway between crotch rocket RS and upright touring RT model. Don't let the 998cc engine fool you, it is a rocket, and many pics of 50K to 100K miles posted here on that. That handbrake cost the previous owner $1500! Yes the new $10K Ryker came out, but yours has space to put stuff! Especially if you have the saddle bags for it. Read through the ST and RS sections (they share lots of common things). Be sure to check the torque on the front sprocket at 115ft/lbs, run the VIN at BRP for outstanding recalls or tech bulletins, etc. Learn how to work on it yourself to save tons of money, many how to's and videos here. I also have the SpyderCodes app ($15 on Apple, still free on Android) if any codes do pop up. It tells you what the code means and for most of them things to look at and try - very helpful for $15. Speaking of codes - learn how to pull your codes - instructions also on the app.

My Gear Box Positioning Sensor (GBPS) went out - you will get stuck in a gear and have to shut off the engine for a minute until the computer resets; then start and it will autoshift (if the SE5 semi-auto). Keep an eye on oil level, even a little low will start shifting problems (same oil is in transmission). Brake fluid sensor is OCD - even a couple teaspoons low will light up the warning. The front sprocket thing i mentioned is a common problem, the bolt was not torqued to well at factory and works loose. I have a friend on a 2008GS that lost his sprocket and the bolt snapped. There was a tech bulletin about it, the shops are supposed to torque it and draw an "X" on the bolt. If any minor electrical issues happen, or you see a "DPS" error, just go get a fresh battery. The DPS is the power steering, uses a lot of power. A weak battery causes a lot of things to throw codes. I got mine at Batteries Plus - still strong at three years.

Coming from a dealer I would assume all the fluids are OK so you should be set for fun for a while! I would visit all the sponsors on the main page - many good "Farkles" to get! I loaded up on LCD lighting, a bump skid with LEDS, extended brake pedal, etc. Look at the pics of the bikes in the picture area to get ideas too.

Steve

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for info

Thanks for the replies and info. Please keep the info coming!

That makes sense that the 998 caused people to pass on this Spyder and go for the 1330 models. The dealer said the 998 is more "torque'y" then the 1330's. This one goes way fast enough for me. I'm in this to enjoy the ride not hit a zillion mph's In a world where someone is always bashing something, no one has said anything bad about this engine and all I hear is how great they are!

I didn't know there was an app for the error codes, I'll definitely look into getting that. Thanks for all the maintenance issues to look for. I also was told how much the handbrake cost to get, 1500 is crazy, why so expensive? I use that and not the pedal brake, the position of it seems very awkward to me. My foot just doesn't like that position to move to it.

Spyder Garage

& Enjoy your New Ryde
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

and on your new ryde.

RE: Handbrake--accessories have always been high priced. If the handbrake is ISCI--they have always been that way. Many with right foot issues had them added on for safety.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome,

and congrats. There are still times I miss the motor I had in the STS. Did like the seating position.
    Very happy with the RT but just at times …..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your spyder and to the spyder web. Dale