Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2018 BRP Connect on new Spyders

Guys,
    I just purchased a new 2018 F3 Limited, and was told I had to use my cell phone to have a GPS, etc on it! What is the total cost using BRP Connect since I know there is a charge for the map service, and others I guess. If I were to hook up my I-phone, it will be drawing data all the time and would run up my cell phone bill, right or wrong? Some who has it, please fill me in on all the cost of going that way! I might decide just to buy me a GPS and install it and leave my phone out of the equation! I had two RT Limited before this and they came with a GPS system! Thanks in advance for your reply!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since I am ignorant to the newer Spyders infotainment systems.

Can android auto be used on the Spyders?

Because then you could use google maps .

Spyder Garage

Default I was disappointed with BRP Connect

The maps cost about $90 which is way too much but I paid for them and tried to use BRP Connect.
    Well, the screen on which the map is displayed is tiny and it's really hard for me to read the map on it. The BRP Connect has issues - sometimes it won't connect to the phone, sometimes it will.
    I ended up purchasing an x grip for my phone, mounted on the center part of the handlebar, and I use Google Maps on the phone itself. Of course, I had to get a long cable to hook up the phone to the Frunk because there is no power hookup on the dash :-)

Looking back, I should have bought the 2017 instead of the 2018 and saved myself a ton of money...Just my opinion, of course, I'm sure it works well for some people...

SPYDERGAL

Spyder Garage

Default $90 rebate

BRP/Can Am is offering $90 VISA Card for people who buy Genius Maps. So the app is free. Check their website, I know a flyer came in my 2018 manual.

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne

Spyder Garage

I have an 18 and near as I can tell(been tryin different ways)the only thing that will connect by bluetooth is a phone with the BRP connect app.Have seen posts on this site that genius maps will work on bike ONLY with I phone!?Has anyone with an Android been able to get correct function from this system?Hoping to save aggravation if not.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred View Post
    BRP/Can Am is offering $90 VISA Card for people who buy Genius Maps. So the app is free. Check their website, I know a flyer came in my 2018 manual.
    they only do the refund for the RT because on the LTD the had the real gps on it. so for the F3 don't hold you're breath.
    and I think you will like more a real gps.
    Spyder RT LTD 2018 SE6 ASPHALT GREY METALLIC - DARK EDITION( Wife)
    Spyder F3T 2016 LTD Black Special Édition
    French Spyder Forum
    SpyderTeam Rive-Sud MTL

Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/spyderteam/
    Twitter
    https://twitter.com/SpyderTeam_ca

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I currently use an old iPhone connected to the dash system with Genius Maps, FOBO and Rever. It's mounted to just under the windshield with a long USB cable from LaMonster. being on the dash I can manipulate it if needed. I pair my headset to my working iPhone that is mounted to the center of the handlebars with power from the USB that's in the switch area. I can enjoy SiriusXM, Phone music, Garmin, & Waze. The old phone is mounted to above the dash so I can manipulate it if needed.

Working with the Genius Maps takes time and I've gotten to learn how it works and how to create routes along with muting some or all of the alerts as they are buggy and interferes too much. The Maps is downloaded to the phone so it can work with or without cell service. The only data usage would be the traffic input which isn't much. The music is what is already on the phone. Basically, there isn't much date usage when using BRP Connect.
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 09-16-2018 at 11:28 PM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    I currently use an old iPhone connected to the dash system with Genius Maps, FOBO and Rever. It's mounted to just under the windshield with a long USB cable from LaMonster. being on the dash I can manipulate it if needed. I pair my headset to my working iPhone that is mounted to the center of the handlebars with power from the USB that's in the switch area. I can enjoy SiriusXM, Phone music, Garmin, & Waze. The old phone is mounted to above the dash so I can manipulate it if needed.

Working with the Genius Maps takes time and I've gotten to learn how it works and how to create routes along with muting some or all of the alerts as they are buggy and interferes too much. The Maps is downloaded to the phone so it can work with or without cell service. The only data usage would be the traffic input which isn't much. The music is what is already on the phone. Basically, there isn't much date usage when using BRP Connect.

I am thinking the old Iphone does not have cell service?
    I am also thinking the headset is paired to the working Iphone?
    The old iphone is paired to the spyder?
    JD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by south GA Farm Boy View Post
    Guys,
    I just purchased a new 2018 F3 Limited, and was told I had to use my cell phone to have a GPS, etc on it! What is the total cost using BRP Connect since I know there is a charge for the map service, and others I guess. If I were to hook up my I-phone, it will be drawing data all the time and would run up my cell phone bill, right or wrong? Some who has it, please fill me in on all the cost of going that way! I might decide just to buy me a GPS and install it and leave my phone out of the equation! I had two RT Limited before this and they came with a GPS system! Thanks in advance for your reply!
    On a F3L the connections to your phone are in the glovebox behind the windshield (Pizza Oven). It is far too hot in there for your phone. My phone would go into high temp mode even on days that are not very hot. I put a phone holder on my handlebars. Plugged a longer cable in an ran it too my phone.

The genius maps app, to make it work with your Spyder. You have to buy the map. It is good for life and you can even switch phones but must keep the same Apple id. Depending on the type phone you have. You also need to buy the auto interface. So the total cost is about $90. You do not receive a rebate for an F3L. Rebates are for RTs only. It works ok but with my android phone but I have to mute the audio everytime before using the map app with the Spyder dash. If not the audio controls will lockup. When you buy the map and you will buy the north america one. You will download the area you live in to the phone under wifi and any areas you will travel to later. No data use for the map. If you buy the traffic module. There will be data use for it. Since my phone is on my handlebars anyway. I am thinking of just using it directly for gps. Just have not got around to setting it up that way yet.

What does work very well is the phone interface with your dash. The phone needs to paired with the dash and your headset paired to the dash as well. If a call comes in. Call display comes up. You can choose to answer or ignore the call from the handlebar controls. Phone call audio goes through your headset no matter if you are in speaker mode or not. Does not need to be plugged into the usb for this feature to work.

BT audio for playing mp3s from your phone also works very well. The audio can be played through the speakers or the headset. Your choice. Skip or replay songs from handlebar controls. Does not need to be plugged into the usb for this feature to work.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Since I am ignorant to the newer Spyders infotainment systems.

Can android auto be used on the Spyders?

Because then you could use google maps .
    No. Android auto or the apple auto are not compatible.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred View Post
    No rebate for a F3L. My dealer put in a complaint and response sorry.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by woods View Post
    I have an 18 and near as I can tell(been tryin different ways)the only thing that will connect by bluetooth is a phone with the BRP connect app.Have seen posts on this site that genius maps will work on bike ONLY with I phone!?Has anyone with an Android been able to get correct function from this system?Hoping to save aggravation if not.
    Well those posts are wrong. I have a android phone and have used genius maps and it works. There is one bug I have is that if I do not mute the genius maps app before connecting. The first time any audio comes from the app. The bikes audio goes to full volume and the audio controls are locked.

Android works great for phone functions and as mp3 player.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

billybovine, So how do you unlock it???

Joe
    Lamonster Bright Ryder,
    Lamonster Bright Tail Lighter,
    Lamonster H4 LED Headlights,
    Lamonster LED Fog Lights,
    Lamonster Fog Light Ring Combo,
    Rox Riser
    Lamonster Driver Back Rest,
    Lamonster Frame Mount Drink Holder.
    Lamonster 15" Freedom Shield Wind Shield
    ******* USA flag
    Freecom 2 head sets
    Mirror Wedgies by Squared Away
    Motorcycle Dave's Tachform phone cradle
    Spyderpops Turnsignal LEDs
    Spyder Sisters Shade
    Spyderpops LidLocs
    Spyderpops front fender LEDs by Show Chrome
    Motorcycle Dave's Gel seat insert
    2018 F3L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jlc41 View Post
    billybovine, So how do you unlock it???

Joe
    If you mean the audio controls. Unplug the usb cable from the phone. The audio control will then go back to normal

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Johndeeredoo View Post
    I am thinking the old Iphone does not have cell service?
    I am also thinking the headset is paired to the working Iphone?
    The old iphone is paired to the spyder?
    JD
    Well, ya, the “working” phone means a phone with cell service. The old phone is just that, an old phone without cell service. And, yes, the headset is paired to the working phone that has cell service. I can hit the headset button when a phone call comes in and use Siri to make calls, but I don’t make too many while riding. I stop to make calls.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I have the 2018. I use google maps and talks to me thru the stereo. No issues here.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Floridian2017 View Post
    I have the 2018. I use google maps and talks to me thru the stereo. No issues here.
    No issues until you find yourself in an area with no cell service.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

billybovine you supply great info as usual!You answered a ? i didn't ask yet and that was about bluetooth connect only for music play.I would think any music that is in phone should play even if loaded from i tunes off computer?

Spyder Garage

billybovine , thanks for the reply. But how do you hear to GPS??

Joe
    Lamonster Bright Ryder,
    Rox Riser
    ******* USA flag
    Freecom 2 head sets
    Spyder Sisters Shade
    Spyderpops LidLocs
    2018 F3L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    No issues until you find yourself in an area with no cell service.
    True only only if you do not prepare first. Google maps has an offline function. A large map or maps can be downloaded while using wifi in advance.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by woods View Post
    billybovine you supply great info as usual!You answered a ? i didn't ask yet and that was about bluetooth connect only for music play.I would think any music that is in phone should play even if loaded from i tunes off computer?
    I would think so. Just have not tried it myself. So I am not sure.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jlc41 View Post
    billybovine , thanks for the reply. But how do you hear to GPS??

Joe
    That's the problem. You don't. BRP needs to be working at fixing this bug.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

billybovine , 10-4
    Lamonster Bright Ryder,
    Rox Riser
    ******* USA flag
    Freecom 2 head sets
    Spyder Sisters Shade
    Spyderpops LidLocs
    2018 F3L , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Any music on an iPhone will be in the music app. Whether the music comes from iTunes Store of from laptop. There is only one app to play music. Connecting the headset to the dash and opening the music app on the dash will enable you to hear the music. When the Maps app gives directions the music will stop then resume. The same thing will happen with Rever. The iPhone has to be a 6 or better.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Default Just to clarify....

In reference to an F3T Limited.....

I can toss my iPod in the glove box attached via usb and operate it via the joystick?

And I can pair my phone to the bike AND my Sena and operate the phone through the joystick as well?

Could someone address that? Or better yet if you're using your iPhone this way, could you elaborate on how you did it, and how well you like it?

To be honest I seldom listen to music but I like to be available by phone if needed. Still having the option for some tunes on occasion will be nice.

Finally, what phone mounts are you using? I've seen what looks like a RAM mounted unit at the center of the handlebars. I like that one...with spring loaded jaws maybe?