Spyder Garage

Default battery tenders... and connections

I have looked for a thread that would help in this idea of battery maintenance , it came up with a lot of different threads , related to but not really about the topic of " owner making the connection own their own " for a battery tender /maintainer , to their own machine ! so I took a few photo`s of our newer to us r-t spyder ( was a bit unnerving ) wasn`t sure if I did it correctly , but it worked out over night ... ------- battery tenders --- type of battery tenders --- connecting / connection tenders maintainers ---- ( sure words for the next owner who might need a bit of help ) IMG_20180916_102236.jpg this is the finished position of the ---- c-tec maintainer I already had this part , the charging /maintainer , I had to purchase the pig tail connector from the cycle shop and or automotive repair shop , or even amazon it was around 10.00 u.s.d . I had these pig tails on the last 2 cycles I owned and they are now on the 2 new cycles I owned , ( but the spyder I just picked up had the older style connector can`t say for certain if this was the actual type but it looks close , the pig tail looked like it was quite old , and it did not have the 3 l-e-d light that c-tec offers , so I took this one off , ( that and I did not like the way the old one was grounded and routed , the last folks who owned it , or someone else ? attached the negative ring terminal too the lower seat bolt, ( which has a lot of paint coatings , not really the best place for a ground , need metal to metal ) so I began the task ! IMG_20180916_102216.jpg here is a photo of the lower seat rod + the motorcycle grounding post next to it ( too the right of the seat rod ( BEFORE YOU MESS WITH THE GROUNDING BOLT READ LOWER COMMENTS ) ... so what I had to do was take the right side arm rest /lower section that covers the battery , so I could gain access too the negative post ( more of why , connected here --- is with "do not mess with the grounding post ") .... so I took the battery cover off / slide the pig tail from the c-tec through the opening next to the positive post of the jump starting point ( which is on the left side of the cycle , when sitting on it )there is room enough to pass it through here , and bring the positive back out too the + jump post ( refer to the first photo ) I better take another photo ! but what it will look like is a better /less likely to get pinched or cut route for your tender cableIMG_20180916_110423.jpg if you can see the pig tail ,and I guess a lot of these now have the fuse body on the positive cable , if you can see it the route is a good fit for the fuse link box , and the other cables to fit with out damage ... ( SOOOO about that grounding point the can-am folks have put there ----- IMG_20180916_102236.jpg please look LOOK look at the bolt , and if yours gets loose this might be a fix for some of our fellow riders who are in dire need , ( being me youngers can`t wait lets get-er done ---- I broke loose the grounding "bolt " ( ohhhhhh noooo I don`t not so quick ) but I did it is a freakiing through bolt with a nylon nut on the back side which too add pain too the " oh hell what did I just do " man I do not want too call the repair sop and say " uhhhh can you fix my screw up ? so I walked away a bit , looked at the dang new problem I created , can get a finger under the frame work and feel that little bugger spin free as a bird ( NOW I GOT A loose ground connection , what a day ! ( so here is a somewhat unusual fix --- if you do not have a metric box wrench that is bent in a " upside down 90 degree position " that is also small enough to get into that very small hole where I can get only 1 finger into ) you will need the correct either metric socket and wrench , and or metric wrench , and a pretty good flat screw blade screw driver ---- standard screw driver ( what you will need to do " if this happen to someone you know " wink wink ) you will wedge the flat blade of the screw driver under the very last part of the grounding screw lug ,or washer what ever is at the bottom against the frame ( going to need a strong grip here ) as you turn to tighten the bolt again twist the screw driver to where the screw driver is actually causing the nylon nut to grab onto the frame under side 9 you know where you can`t get but one dang finger in ... as you twist it up ( screw driver ) turn the wrench the direction too tighten ( clock wise tight ) counter clock wise loose ... it worked for me , I was almost to the panic point but like I said walk away and think about the problem ... or just read this ( after you get it tighten --- I mean your friend gets it tightened ) they will be like , man that was too easy , and will have almost fond memories , ALMOST well any way hope this part about the battery maintainer helps ( foot note : I was worried that having the negative post on battery , and positive put on the jump point was going to be a problem , but after 10 hours of charge it is full green 9 on the main unit and the pig tail is happy green light also .. ( the pig tail has 3 lights green battery is great , yellow take notice , red plug me in and maintain that battery ) but use which ever you like just a thread on how to position and route the pigtail ( have a great ride where ever you are !

Spyder Garage

I didn't see what year your machine is. I just plug my Battery Tender into the outlet in my rear trunk of the 2011 RT.
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited