Thread: First 1000mi

Spyder Garage

Default First 1000mi

18 RT limited.Picked it up on Aug.30 and turned 1300mi yesterday.The ride-is great!I'm 170lbs,air at 45,it's a coupe de ville on the road!Handling-Great!No prob's going down the road.No pulling or darting or excessive effort to steer.Cornering-I feel it sticks the corners really well!Been on 2 wheels for 50yrs and this thing corners very fast if you want to.I'm a a snowmobiler tho so it feels very natural to me to move my body around in corners.Haven't met the nanny yet and I can't imagine how hard I'll have to hit em to do it but I'm guessing with experience I will!Power-Plenty!Every time I look at the speedo I'm speeding.Gotta watch that!Infotainment system-Mostly a huge disappointment.FM reception is the worst of any radio I own,vehicle or cheap battery job.Thought the bluetooth would be great,connect my i-pod,but no,you can only connect a phone with the connect app.Yes you can connect via the aux jack but you cannot control anything but volume and you have to open frunk and pause device when you stop for food, or what ever,or it keeps running.And open and hit play when you go.Navigation-don't know yet.General lighting-Turn sig's and break lights are good and visible although I don't get the mix of LED and regular bulbs??Headlights-High beams are adequate,barely.Low beams,as factory set,are scary bad!I live in the country and travel 20mi thru deer alley from nearest town and any speed over 35 with low's on feels like way over driving them.Can and will adjust them but what is with the way the top is chopped off?Every bump makes them look like they are bouncing!Been told by riding friends that lights are not visible from front for more than several car lengths in daylight.With all the amazing lights that are out there I have seen no other bikes with these style lights,lucky them.What is that god awful clunk that you can feel when you switch to high beam?!In sum,I still like it.Did I mention it's broke?Stopped manually downshifting at 1000mi so no more reverse.Call shop tomorrow.I still like it!Things happen!I know this post is reeeally long but tried to cover all the bases!Ride safe everyone!

Spyder Garage

Great write up on your 1000 mile adventure. To tell the truth I was almost ready to sign on the dotted line for a new RT last Thursday, but just couldn't pull the pin based on what they were going to give me for my current BMW. I find your assessment very informative and worthwhile. It gives me much food for thought. I still like the idea of making a switch to three wheels from two and so does my wife, but losing almost 10 grand on a 6 month old motorcycle just isn't in my future. Someone would certainly make some money off my BMW, but it wouldn't be me if I took that kind of loss. So for now I will enjoy my 4th BMW K1600 and keep an eye on the Can Am Spyder market to see where it goes this year. Perhaps next year the dealer will be more forgiving on a trade-in value. Please keep posting on how you are fairing with your Spyder as you certainly seem quite honest about it. I am quite surprised about the electronics on your Spyder and how inadequate the headlamps seem to be. The radio on the K1600 absolutely sucks, but than again I am one of those that never listens to it while I am riding. I like staying tuned into what's going on around me while moving not listening to extemporaneous bull hockey. The headlamp issue would definitely concern me though. I only test rode a Spyder during the daytime so it never dawned on me to check the headlamp output. Kind of ironic too that I was going to demo ride a different Spyder at the dealership, but I discovered that it would not upshift due to a fault with the shift control button.

Rick H.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks .....

Always good to see reviews and hear the opinions of the new ryders. Looks like you will do fine once you get the little stuff out of the way. You will find all the info you need here and get it all set up to your liking. Enjoy the ryde...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Just back from another 150mi jaunt.Thanks for the reply's.Still aggravated about the radio system.When you buy a car do you expect to be forced to buy something else to make it work?The vehicle should stand on it's own!It's like having to get a BP credit card to open the gas cap!No wonder the salesman didn't seem to know much about the system!Anyway... The storage-Great!Can put more than you think in it!Only issue is that side loading saddlebags are a bit fussy to load.I appreciate the gasket but you need to be sure not to have anything laying on the inner edge.Also learned not to over fill fuel or you will smell it for 100mi.!lol!I wonder if the headlights qualify as DRL's if they are on but nobody can see them??Tried using fog lights today for that purpose but no joy.Not visible past 50 or so feet.Be safe,watch out for the turkeys on the road and behind the wheels!

Spyder Garage

Your headlights do not have high and low beams, just one filament. When you select low beam a mechanical shutter comes down over part of the bulb and the bouncing/flickering is the shutter vibrating/bouncing up and down with road irregularities.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Woods, I bought a '13 RTL and had the same feelings about the head and fog lights, UNTIL I upgraded with TricLED's Head and Foglight kit. MAJOR upgrade, so much so I decided not to add the aftermarket Denali D2 or DR1 driving lights I had been considering with the original lights.

Worth every penny! I've run with Foglights on all the time since and have a VERY bright view down the road.
    Where in Wisconsin are you. I'll gladly ride over and show you the difference after the rains pass.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by woods View Post
    18 RT limited.Picked it up on Aug.30 and turned 1300mi yesterday.The ride-is great!I'm 170lbs,air at 45,e!
    Hi. I haven’t looked at the Owners Manual yet for the 18RT and I was wondering where you set the air to 45? I was curious how the Spyder knows if you want a firm or soft ride since they eliminated the button that was used on previous models to adjust the rear shock air bag.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

RTFM, PG 48-49.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Schroeder (air) valve under seat on right side.It doesn't take much air to change it.DGoebel thanks for the info.These lights fit in the stock fixtures?I am 20mi west of Tomahawk or 30 northwest of Medford or 100 northeast of Chippewa Falls.Nice ride from there on 178 by river to 64!A shutter on the lights,that explains the clunk,must weigh 12 pounds!lol! Thanks all!

Spyder Garage

Good write up. I’ve just turned over 1400 only 2018 RTL. Gotta ride more! Planning a ride around this weekend. Maybe Amish country or my cousins winery. Hope the shifting bug gets worked out for ya.

Spyder Garage

Got the tricled's will put em in when I get it back from shifter repair!

Spyder Garage

I ryde with my lights on bright daytimes. Doesn't cost any more money.

Spyder Garage

Page 80 ,drive with high beams on when ever possible .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Just had my paddle shifter replaced, 2018 F3L. BRP knows there is a problem with them.
    Joe
    Lamonster Bright Ryder,
    Lamonster Bright Tail Lighter,
    Lamonster H4 LED Headlights,
    Lamonster LED Fog Lights,
    Lamonster Fog Light Ring Combo,
    Rox Riser
    Lamonster Driver Back Rest,
    Lamonster Frame Mount Drink Holder.
    Lamonster 15" Freedom Shield Wind Shield
    ******* USA flag
    Freecom 2 head sets
    Mirror Wedgies by Squared Away
    Motorcycle Dave's Tachform phone cradle
    Spyderpops Turnsignal LEDs
    Spyder Sisters Shade
    Spyderpops LidLocs
    Spyderpops front fender LEDs by Show Chrome
    Motorcycle Dave's Gel seat insert
    2018 F3L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by woods View Post
    18 RT limited.Picked it up on Aug.30 and turned 1300mi yesterday.The ride-is great!I'm 170lbs,air at 45,it's a coupe de ville on the road!Handling-Great!No prob's going down the road.No pulling or darting or excessive effort to steer.Cornering-I feel it sticks the corners really well!Been on 2 wheels for 50yrs and this thing corners very fast if you want to.I'm a a snowmobiler tho so it feels very natural to me to move my body around in corners.Haven't met the nanny yet and I can't imagine how hard I'll have to hit em to do it but I'm guessing with experience I will!Power-Plenty!Every time I look at the speedo I'm speeding.Gotta watch that!Infotainment system-Mostly a huge disappointment.FM reception is the worst of any radio I own,vehicle or cheap battery job.Thought the bluetooth would be great,connect my i-pod,but no,you can only connect a phone with the connect app.Yes you can connect via the aux jack but you cannot control anything but volume and you have to open frunk and pause device when you stop for food, or what ever,or it keeps running.And open and hit play when you go.Navigation-don't know yet.General lighting-Turn sig's and break lights are good and visible although I don't get the mix of LED and regular bulbs??Headlights-High beams are adequate,barely.Low beams,as factory set,are scary bad!I live in the country and travel 20mi thru deer alley from nearest town and any speed over 35 with low's on feels like way over driving them.Can and will adjust them but what is with the way the top is chopped off?Every bump makes them look like they are bouncing!Been told by riding friends that lights are not visible from front for more than several car lengths in daylight.With all the amazing lights that are out there I have seen no other bikes with these style lights,lucky them.What is that god awful clunk that you can feel when you switch to high beam?!In sum,I still like it.Did I mention it's broke?Stopped manually downshifting at 1000mi so no more reverse.Call shop tomorrow.I still like it!Things happen!I know this post is reeeally long but tried to cover all the bases!Ride safe everyone!
    Some people have taken the antenna off and cleaned off all of the Loctite they put on from the factory, clean the block that it screws into and put it back together! they say that helps some with the reception. Good luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Posts 12 and 13 right on about using high beams in the day time. More visibility and less "bouncing."

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I had a cop tell me he was going to give me a ticket for having my brights on . Told him to try ,and see how fast it gets thrown out of court.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

2 weeks waiting for shifter parts,so far.Will keep in mind using high's for DRL's. Just sayin that when going to low at night the lack of light has me grabbin brake!Asked dealer to check adjustment while in shop.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Hi. I haven’t looked at the Owners Manual yet for the 18RT and I was wondering where you set the air to 45? I was curious how the Spyder knows if you want a firm or soft ride since they eliminated the button that was used on previous models to adjust the rear shock air bag.
    I'm confused also. The 2018 RT Limited rear air suspension is automatic. I see nowhere in the manual that it is adjustable. Am I missing something?

Rick
    2018 Spyder RT Limited
    Asphalt Gray
    Can Am Passenger Armrests
    Can Am Comfort Seat
    Spyder Accessories Floating Footpegs
    Utopia Driver Backrest
    Bajaron Sway Bar
    Sena 20s Bluetooth
    Lidlocks Helmet Holders
    F4 Tall and Wide Tinted Windshield
    Fobo Tire Monitor
    Lamonster Spyderdock Cell Phone Holder
    Sheepskin Seat Cover
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    Magic Mirror
    Can Am Trailer Hitch
    Missing Belt Guard

Wish List - LED Headlights and Fog lights

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Ambient Air Temperature

Maybe OP is talking about the 'Ambient Air Temperature'. Just a guess.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't use the FM much unless I'm just going to get milk around the corner. It's great until I loose signal and the speakers are very loud. I enjoy the music on the smartphone via the dash and BRP Connect. The OEM fog lights are great at lighting up the road at night. I put LED headlight bulbs in and find they are very bright. I also added Denali spot lights to the A arms inside each front wheel. They are extremely noticeable to other drivers. The suspension is automatic and I don't touch it. There is no pressure indication unless you add air with a gauge.

Currently I use an older phone with BRP Connect paired to the dash and plugged in and I enjoy Sygic GPS, or Genius Maps, Rever, Accuweather and FOBO. I pair my headset to my working phone with SiriusXM, Waze and Garmin if I need it. I enjoy my 2018 RT-L because I've learned how to make it work.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Took me about 1,000 miles to get accustomed to my 2017 RTS. Acclimated is more the term. Comfortable ride with thee backrest. I'm at the age where night vision is not at the best so I have no argument with the lights. Got it in January and put 15,00 miles on her in 10 months

Spyder Garage

"Wood" , I feel your pain about the BRP disconnect. Had the switch replaced recently and I am so disappointed with the whole experience I have not even tried to use it again,yet?! If "flamewinger" has it figured out I'd say he's likely to be the only one in the country that has done so. BRP doesn't have any training for the dealerships so I can't blame them so I'll struggle on like the rest of you. I had Lamonster put ALL LED's on my 2018 F3L and I love it!! Except for the side/fenders where I should have gone with TricLED as they are much brighter.

Safe travels and thanks for the good read....

Spyder Garage

This post requires you to click the Thanks button to read this content. This post requires you to click the Likes button to read this content.