Thread: Tire sealant

Spyder Garage

Default Tire sealant

Just had a problem with a tire sealant supplied by one of the sponsors. Purchased and put in all the tires on my Spyder, about three months ago. Before going to Spyderquest, I did a check on all the moving parts on the Spyder and found that the right side tire was low. Put air into the tire and checked it the next day. Went from 18 PSI down to 13 PSI. Filled it again and found the pressure went down to 17 PSI. Went to Spyderquest with low pressure. Returning home and checked it again, pressure was down to 12 PSI. Took it to where I had tires mounted, and he was not able to find leak. Took tire to a regular tire shop. They had it for a day and a half. Finally called, they informed me of the gunk inside the tire. They mentioned that the gunk was filling all the small cracks and that made it very hard to find the leak. They even mentioned that the material was starting to get hard. They said that the way the tire was, with the sealant in it, they would not be able to find the leak or even fix it once they found it. End of story, I ended up purchasing two new tires, as they said could not fix. Just letting all Spyderlovers know my problems.
    2011 RT-S SE5 Viper Red
    2014 RT-S SE6 Cognac
    Bajaron sway bar w/ aluminum heims
    Custom Design HM Brake light
    Custom Design Red front fender lights with turn signals
    Lidlox
    Corbin arm rests
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer.....

Never been fond of that kind of stuff. As a tech for many years I did hate to deal with tires that ran around with the stuff especially those ATV's. I would only use or recommend a fix-a-flat when needed to get you home then clean it out and fix the leak. I carry a plug kit which eliminates the need. The stuff will dry out when up in the walls and the liquid no longer mixes.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I use Ride-On in all my PTW tires, and have never had a flat or out-of-balance condition on any of them in ~50,000 miles or so.
    When I remove the tires for replacement, which I have done, oh, a dozen times more or less with the Ride-On installed, I found the goo inside to be still quite, well, gooey. Not separated, and really only able to tell it's used as it had turned from orange to black-ish. Same texture as new just black.

What sort of tire sealant turns hard when installed?
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Name the sealant so we can avoid it. I never use that stuff except for emergencies. Tire shops hate that goo on their machines.
    Last edited by asp125; 09-17-2018 at 09:11 AM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i have the tire slop from lamont in my , if i were to check a leak & couldn't find it then i would remove tire,
    clean it out, check valve pin making sure it wasn't clogged,if didn't see a nail would remount & air check. whether you
    have tire sealent or not can't always find a leak.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have used Ride on sealant since birth of my 2008, It definetly works and the tire shop had no issues with it as still kinda gelled. Just my 2 cents worth.