Spyder Garage

Default Belt replacement on 2015 F3s

Hi all first major problem. Lost the front sprocket and destroyed the belt. I have all replacement parts, just not sure how to get the belt routed from front to back any help will be appreciated

cliff

Spyder Garage

Default Get a copy of the service manual

Highly suggest you go to this web site ( http://brpmanuals.com/ ) and get the service manual. It's a quick download and worth the $24.50 cost.

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer.....

Sorry to hear of your misfortune...You will have to remove the rear wheel to gain access the sprockets. You can bend the belt over the front sprocket if alrady mounted otherwise push it through and then mount the sprocket and loop the rear sprocket. Then bolt on the wheel adjusting the belt for tension and tracking. Keep it on the lower side of the tension spec...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Would that not be a warranty item?????
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    Would that not be a warranty item?????
    Its a 2015 so unless he bought an extended warranty, no.

BRP has been covering the sprocket failures under warranty and BEST but only a few have gotten consideration after warranty ended.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post

BRP has been covering the sprocket failures under warranty and BEST but only a few have gotten consideration after warranty ended.
    No coverage by BRP. Gotta it figured out was wondering if there is a torque value for the front sprocket bolt and the axle nut

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post

Another reason to trade for the Ryker?
    I would definitely get the online manual and it will answer all you questions. If the sprocket is loose and free to come off it shouldn't be to bad but you need to get the proper locktite from the dealer or somewhere?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Thanks did get the manual and got the belt installed. Went for test ride would not shift out of 1st gear and reved to about 8000 rpm before I could get it shut down. Tried again and same thing happened, so back into the garage. Any thoughts or answers would be helpful, as I go back to the manual for answers .

thanks in adavancec
    cliff

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cvjj1991 View Post
    Thanks did get the manual and got the belt installed. Went for test ride would not shift out of 1st gear and reved to about 8000 rpm before I could get it shut down. Tried again and same thing happened, so back into the garage. Any thoughts or answers would be helpful, as I go back to the manual for answers .

thanks in adavancec
    cliff
    So this is a semi-auto?
    You may have knocked a sensor out of whack as just changing the front sprocket and belt shouldn't cause such issues as you're having. Makes no sense it would rev to 8,000 rpms.. is it doing that on it's own? How's your oil level? Low oil on those SE models can cause shifting issues as well as the Gear Positioning Sensor.
    On the rear there are speed sensors that could have caused some issues, but none of these things should cause revving like you're describing.

Did you use the Loctite 648 procedure when installing the new sprocket? That's what they're recommending now. I just pulled my sprocket and did it before any problems were to arise.

You basically clean it all real well and use Loctite Primer T 7471(Acetone). Then apply the Loctite 648 to both surfaces and assemble within 5 minutes. Torque to 96 ft/lbs and then let sit for 24 hours to cure.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!