Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default WHY A RYKER (and what i thought of it after riding it)

Ok, let me start off by saying that I 'd like to think I know a thing or two about riding and selling Spyders. To date, I have sold 783 new/used from my dealership and have put thousands and thousands of miles on them. All of them, GS's, ST's, F3's, etc... yadda yadda yadda. So, let me say this.... I am thrilled to death about the new Ryker!
    Why? Well, like it or not, the Spyder business has been on the decline across the country for the last few years, and it mimics the whole motorcycle industry trend. New riders aren't interested and we are aging out. That, is, a, fact!
    So, what should BRP do? Just keep shining the same apple? Add colors, options, and variations on the same ol' same in an effort to sell to the same ol' you? Pretty sure we all know the answer. That is exactly how a product line goes extinct, which is exactly what could happen if the revenue doesn't exceed the expense.
    Enter the Ryker.
    NOTE: This bike wasn't built for you. I repeat, IT WASN'T BUILT TO REPLACE YOUR RT, F3, etc.. (tho maybe the RS/GS). It is for a whole new crowd. The barriers to new entrants are threefold. Price, Skill and Interest.
    Start with price. At $8499 it is affordable to two groups who frequently visit and leave without purchase. Youngsters new to the workforce, and fixed income retirees. Their current possibilities only included the cheap used manual transmission RS/GS or, at best a high mileage RT/ST/F3. Those aren't easy to finance, and they often aren't right for them. Here they can finance a brand new ride, or better yet, lease one for as little as $140 a month with a 3 year commitment. That is a winner.
    Skill level. Here's the way I see it. The new generation is so electronically attached to their devices that they lack many of the mechanical skills necessary to ride a bike. Heck, many of them are struggling to drive a car! Well, this thing is stupidly easy to ride. Fully automatic, with only forward, reverse, and a parking brake. BRP is putting a huge effort in placing Rykers at training centers around the country to make it really, really easy to learn, ride and purchase. That is exactly what we need to grow the sport.
    Interest. Well, start by marketing it thru digital media to the target market. (that's their plan). 2nd, give it an ultra hipster, funky cool, off the wall look with customization at the forefront of design. Done. 3rd. make it versatile. The rally edition can go off road (fire roads, gravel roads) for gods sake, and the infinitely adjustable foot pegs, brake lever and handlebars can fit nearly everyone. 4th make it an alternative to a bike that is appealing. I can't tell you how many times a husband/boyfriend has come into our shop looking for a way to get his wife/girlfriend off the back of his bike and onto something else. He steers her to either a little metric cruiser, (gasp) sportster, or little crotch rocket and the end result is a miserable experience for her due to the shifting/clutching/lifting chore that is that bike. The one stigma that is attached to our current line up is that it is perceived as an "old persons" bike (sorry, but it is true). This thing looks like it is straight out of TRON, or Tony Starks' lab. Not old person looking! NOT A SPYDER, lol! Market it to the newbees.
    Ok, hope i didn't upset anyone with the age comments. It is what is is..
    So, what's it like to ride?
    Let me first say that i am or at least was partial to the F3 model. I like sitting in it rather than on it. That said, my next three wheeler will be a Ryker Rally. I love sitting waaaay inside it. I love adjusting the pegs and brake wherever I want them. I love setting the bars and then resetting them to change the feel at a traffic light. I am a dirt tracker, so I love drifting it! I love the ability to go on a dirt road or driveway with no fear of ruining the belt. I love the fact that we have this motor in our sleds and the thing has PLENTY of room under the hood for the turbo that is inevitable (woo hoo). I love 300 lbs less and the fact that I could not get it on two wheels even after chucking it into a corner in a vain attempt to bicycle it. I am shocked how well the CVT worked. I am thrilled that it doesn't have power steering so the feeling thru the bars is positive and yet not difficult. It is the right Spyder for me. Simple, capable and fun. I want a bigger, quick detach rear trunk, a want to try the adjustable windscreen, and I'd like the possibility of cruise control. That's it. Oh, and the Army green body kit!
    Last edited by Triumphcycleman; 09-15-2018 at 11:42 AM.

Spyder Garage

Great insight. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bruce, as a former BMW dealer myself, I could not agree more with your analysis. For a under $10,000 Spyder as it seemed that was being clamored for, the Ryker is a lot of machine, way more than a stripped down POS...........

This is one of, if not the smartest move by any Mfg in the Moto Sports Industry.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Ryker analysis

Tim - thank you , thank you , thank you your analysis of the Ryker is one of the best short synopsis of any vehicle I have read about ….. I'm VERY interested ……….. annnnnnnnnnnnnnd on the TURBO, after Monster Fuel Injection ( or Jase in Australia ) gets ahold of this …..watch out ………….jmho……. Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 09-15-2018 at 04:22 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks...

Great review ... still don't like it but your points are good ones and the future for it looks a little brighter from your perspective..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Good insight. Makes a lot of good points. Definitely for a different market--which is needed.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the insightful comments.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    Great insight. Bruce
    Thanks but who is Bruce? signed Tim

Spyder Garage

As already said thanks for the write-up Bru.......sorry, Tim (couldn't resist that!!)

Interesting what you say about not being able to pick up the inside wheel however hard you tried. The biggest issue with the F3 is the way all the weight transfers to the outside wheel when cornering, even with an upgraded anti-roll bar. Sounds like the Ryker has less of a tendancy for this with the lower centre of gravity and reduced weight. It certainly looks like it turns-in to the corners more readily on the videos I've seen so far.

I also thought the same about the 900 Turbo, BRP must have designed it with that engine in mind. Would be great to see that next year.

My wife is very interested in one and we'll be trying one out as soon as they are in the UK.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

Default Why a Ryker?

Really think one may suit me. I'm in my 70's and gave up riding a few years ago mostly because my balance isn't what it once was. Just not willing to put $20,000+ in a trike, after all it's a toy. If all I could afford is a mostly worn out Spyder not really interested. I rarely drive over seventy so the base model should suit me. Also have a knee that's iffy at times so being able to adjust the pegs is a real plus for me. Looks like I'm about to talk myself into one. Joined the forum today to learn all I can before pulling the trigger.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NEWBIE -YEA

Quote Originally Posted by gg194 View Post
    Really think one may suit me. I'm in my 70's and gave up riding a few years ago mostly because my balance isn't what it once was. Just not willing to put $20,000+ in a trike, after all it's a toy. If all I could afford is a mostly worn out Spyder not really interested. I rarely drive over seventy so the base model should suit me. Also have a knee that's iffy at times so being able to adjust the pegs is a real plus for me. Looks like I'm about to talk myself into one. Joined the forum today to learn all I can before pulling the trigger.
    …… ………………… Same issue for me ( the balance thing ) ….. Now I wouldn't go back to two wheels even if I could ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Great thoughts- My dealer said the same thing last year- Not selling- Ordering less and less units- This year his mind is changing and a Lot of it has to be due to the Ryker . I had a GS, RT, and rode my F3SM6 Today and while its going to be a Great Used vehicle at a Great price for someone, after a Test ride (I'm pushing BRP to send a Demo) I'm 99% positive I will trade (Or Sell) F3 for a Ryker Rally . Turning 70 soon and it will be my little street Go Cart I can zoom around the Back roads on as Part of a vehicle. Every aspect of this has me so excited- No Belt- No Sprockets- No DPS to fail- Easy change back tire- Easy Battery and fluid access-I suspect an Easy Plug Change-Brake lever ANGLE adjustable-Plenty of power and NO shifting- I suspect the Windshield will be fine with the addition of a X-creen Sport which "Should" fit on top. The difference in the tires, Shocks, and functions make the Rally a no brainer for me.

I realize in 2 Years my F3 with 13,000 miles will Probably be worth More than a 2 year old Ryker BUT you only go around ONCE!
    Last edited by Sarge707; 09-15-2018 at 04:54 PM.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Great analysis. Though somewhat scary that millenials with short attention spans and simple skillsets will be on the road amongst us. At least they won't be in 2000lb killing cages.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboymorton View Post
    As already said thanks for the write-up Bru.......sorry, Tim (couldn't resist that!!)

Interesting what you say about not being able to pick up the inside wheel however hard you tried. The biggest issue with the F3 is the way all the weight transfers to the outside wheel when cornering, even with an upgraded anti-roll bar. Sounds like the Ryker has less of a tendancy for this with the lower centre of gravity and reduced weight. It certainly looks like it turns-in to the corners more readily on the videos I've seen so far.

I also thought the same about the 900 Turbo, BRP must have designed it with that engine in mind. Would be great to see that next year.

My wife is very interested in one and we'll be trying one out as soon as they are in the UK.
    As I was looking at them on the Spyder website: I get the impression that they don't come with an anti-swaybar. It's listed as an option.
    That sure could prevent you from picking up a wheel...

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the write up.... the more I look at it, I tend to agree with you that a Ryker Rally will be my next bike. For an extra $1000 you get upgraded tires, upgraded shocks, the different driving modes, the aluminum handguards ($75) and the maxmount ($300)

Rally with Top case, saddlebag mount, Shad Saddlebag, and windscreen - $11,738

Ryker with 900cc with Max Mount, Top Case, Saddlebag bracket, shad saddleback, Windscreen = $11038

I might be able to find a used or heavily discounted F3 for $12k-$14k range and I'd still like to test ride one of those but I am leaning towards the ryker.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Great write up!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Nice write-up and agree with much of the ideas behind the release of this new model. Probably a good move since they already have all of us hooked... need some different bait. BRP has been planning this for 5 years or more... they plan models way ahead according to their design center tour we took. They even had a super-secret room that most workers cannot go where they're working on the products and designs 10+ years out...

I'll demo one for fun.. but it's all F3 for me!

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Triumphcycleman View Post
    Thanks but who is Bruce? signed Tim
    Hahaha.... yeah, that got me thinking “How does Safecracker know that Triumphcycleman’s name is Bruce? “..... then the penny dropped. Great write up, Tim.....most informative

Pete (not Bruce or Tim)
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post

. Great write up, Tim.....most informative

Pete (not Bruce or Tim)

It is a great write up

But.. but... but... Pete.... don't you usually answer to Cyril?? Or was it Cecil?? I'm pretty sure it wasn't Godfrey?!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-16-2018 at 03:45 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

If the Ryker is focused on those marketing strategies, it may very well capture a portion of the market.

Agree, the Ryker is no replacement for an F3 series or RT series.

Beyond the Ryker, it seems if kids in general are not passionate about riding a bicycle, the idea of a motorcycle is a seed never planted. Around here, and even within my own relatives, I have witnessed moms being the everyday taxi, taking kids to school, picking them up and driving them everywhere, even to work. These kids do not want to get a drivers license or even a car. Haphazardly, they just expect things to work out, same as living at home until 30 with mom cooking and doing laundry.

Merely my opinion, hope Can Am does well with the Ryker, however around here I suspect it will be more a novelty toy vs machine to get folks riding.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Apologies for trying to re name you, Tim.

Still a great and directly on target write up.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    As I was looking at them on the Spyder website: I get the impression that they don't come with an anti-swaybar. It's listed as an option.
    That sure could prevent you from picking up a wheel...
    They All have the sway Bar But the Beefier anti-sway bar is optional like the ST kit. I have no need for one on my F3 and I doubt you would need one even less on this beast!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, Triumphcycleman, Tim, or Bruce - or whatever you're calling yourself lately . . . Great write-up. Thanks. The thought of it being ridden by kids who may not even know how to drive is frightening.

As for replacing any of the Spyder models, the analysis someone did comparing the fitted-out costs of a Ryker to a good used ST/F3/RT would give me pause. Especially with the lower new prices of the Spyder models and the effect that will have on the used prices.

Not having seen a Ryker in person, and not having ridden one, the things that I wonder about is the lack of power steering and the seat. The seat looks really stiff and uncomfortable. Any insights on that?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just don't call him late for Dinner!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not having seen a Ryker in person, and not having ridden one, the things that I wonder about is the lack of power steering and the seat. The seat looks really stiff and uncomfortable. Any insights on that?
    Patti, sounds like you might be a 'Glass Half Empty' kind of rider and that what you really want is a brand new F3 semi auto for under $10K........Just saying.

Considering the Hue and Cry for an under $10K Spyder, clearly Cam Am appears to have delivered.
    Last edited by old Timer; 09-16-2018 at 09:35 AM.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L