Spyder Garage

Default GPS Power 2017 F3 Limited

I just bought a 2017 F3 Limited and I ordered a Garmin Zumo GPS. I have no idea where to connect the power so I can use all of the GPS features, sound, etc. Where is the suggested place on the F3 to connect a GPS? Any help is really appreciated as I’m very new to this great ride. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Default Customer accessory circuits

On my 2016 F3L there are a 3 "customer accessory circuits" as noted in the owners manual page 37 for my unit. Under the passenger seat, behind lateral service cover, and behind front storage compartment. I used one of these to power my Garmin but I don't have a connection to the speakers. Someone will chime in with how to wire the Garmin in for sound - although you could optionally search this forum as it has already been discussed before.

The manual is full of a lot of good stuff - don't forget to read it.
    Last edited by al0vely; 09-14-2018 at 01:33 AM.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

The GPS connections for the harness is on the left side midway back. I installed my Zumo 660 using BRP harness there. It was plug and play connection.
    SpyDel
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Default GPS connections

The 12V power and audio connection to the radio are are marked on the following pic as GPS2. For connecting a Zumo GPS.

F3T gps.jpg

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default GPS wire in

Quote Originally Posted by Bballistick View Post
    I just bought a 2017 F3 Limited and I ordered a Garmin Zumo GPS. I have no idea where to connect the power so I can use all of the GPS features, sound, etc. Where is the suggested place on the F3 to connect a GPS? Any help is really appreciated as I’m very new to this great ride. Thanks!
    On my 2018 F3 Limited, you open the service panel up top on the left side, and you will see a white tag around a wire, and it states this wire is for customer's accessaries ! That is where I plan on hooking mine GPS up! Hope this helps!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The 12V power and audio connection to the radio are are marked on the following pic as GPS2. For connecting a Zumo GPS.

F3T gps.jpg
    Excellent. Thanks!

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

The GPS 12v is not the same as the "user" 12v connection. The GPS gets voltage with the key on bike not running and keeps 12v for about 10 seconds after the key is turned off. I will have to determine if the RDO part is actually a line in because I could not find it when hooking up audio. I will look again. It appears that to connect something to it may require a gender changer 1/8" jack for some audio devices. The wiring diagrams are ..... not that great in the service manual.

On the f3t the GPS 12v is under the rear left side panel, not the upper service panel. Torx required there. Once you get to it, it would be a good idea to extend wires under the covers so that you will have access to the GPS circuit under the service cover. Lamonster has the location shown in the video

>CLICK ME<
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by south GA Farm Boy View Post
    On my 2018 F3 Limited, you open the service panel up top on the left side, and you will see a white tag around a wire, and it states this wire is for customer's accessaries ! That is where I plan on hooking mine GPS up! Hope this helps!
    I’ve seen that. I was wondering if that would connect the gps up to the speakers or just the power?

Spyder Garage

I’ve seen that. I was wondering if that would connect the gps up to the speakers or just the power?
    The customer accessory circuits are powered with the engine running. You can certainly power your gps from there. If you wish.

The gps power connector is lower down and farther back on the chassis. It is power on with the key on. Which I believe would be preferable for a gps.

The OP asked about his 2017 model. The gps connectors. 12V power from the radio. Also a gps input for audio to the radio in the same location.

On the 2018 models. The gps connector. 12V power comes from a fuse shared by the cluster and dps. I do not see any allowance for gps audio input to the radio.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

The customer accessory circuits are powered with the engine running. You can certainly power your gps from there. If you wish.

The gps power connector is lower down and farther back on the chassis. It is power on with the key on. Which I believe would be preferable for a gps.

The OP asked about his 2017 model. The gps connectors. 12V power from the radio. Also a gps input for audio to the radio in the same location.

On the 2018 models. The gps connector. 12V power comes from a fuse shared by the cluster and dps. I do not see any allowance for gps audio input to the radio.

Thanks for for all of the info. I ended up wiring it to the connector under the left lateral service cover. I looked for a connection where the gps2 is noted on your diagram but all I saw was a mini plug. So what I’ve got now is a functioning gps, but no sound coming through the radio which is fine for me as I pay more attention to the gps visually anyways. Again, thanks for all the imput.

Spyder Garage

Default Managed to find the GPS audio in - details

I managed to find the GPS audio in behind the rear lateral cover. I got the GPS input to work with my Nüvi 56.

Details on modifiying a Nüvi for audio out and how to make it work with the OEM audio in an be found here: >CLICK ME<

2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

On 2014 and earlier models. The gps input into the radio was only designed for gps. It would override any other audio source when audio was output from the gps. It would cut back to the original source when there was quiet spots in the music. For some reason although the connections where stereo. Only the left channel input went out over both left and right speakers. So the gps made a very lousy mp3 player. On 2015 and later models, I think, they changed that so that you had a gps source screen on the display. So you could use the gps as a mp3 player with good sound that did not cut out and was in stereo.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    I managed to find the GPS audio in behind the rear lateral cover. I got the GPS input to work with my Nüvi 56.

Details on modifiying a Nüvi for audio out and how to make it work with the OEM audio in an be found here: >CLICK ME<

Great site btw. I liked your mods.

Spyder Garage

On 2014 and earlier models. The gps input into the radio was only designed for gps. It would override any other audio source when audio was output from the gps. It would cut back to the original source when there was quiet spots in the music. For some reason although the connections where stereo. Only the left channel input went out over both left and right speakers. So the gps made a very lousy mp3 player. On 2015 and later models, I think, they changed that so that you had a gps source screen on the display. So you could use the gps as a mp3 player with good sound that did not cut out and was in stereo.
    Correct. Anything I post is specific to the 2016 F3-T. I have no access to other models.

The NAV input selection is so that Zumos equipped with Sirius/xm or gps models with a built in player would work. It does indeed work great if your fone can read text messages, tho. No interruptions unless you get a message!

nav.jpg

Spyder Garage

Red face SO? Has anyone found the Auxilary Power?

I'm not looking for the "Customer Accessory Outlet. I found those. They require the engine to be running! I want power as soon as you turn the key. I have GPS & CB that I want on, immediately, because waiting 2 minutes for the "Self-Test" to complete, then being able to set tunes & route is TFC. I looked under the left side panel, one plug. On the 2016, there were 3 power connections & aux sound input. Not on the '17...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Matahead View Post
    They require the engine to be running! I want power as soon as you turn the key. because waiting 2 minutes for the "Self-Test" to complete, then being able to set tunes & route is TFC.
    Are you aware that as soon as you turn on the key, you can hit the mode button and your Spyder will start. No need to wait for the computer to boot up like on the older Spyders. Try it, you'll like it.

BTW, this is an old post. Just FYI.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    Are you aware that as soon as you turn on the key, you can hit the mode button and your Spyder will start. No need to wait for the computer to boot up like on the older Spyders. Try it, you'll like it.

BTW, this is an old post. Just FYI.
    Info varies buy year, & model. Maybe on the friend's '17 it will start immediately. Our '16 won't. Still doesn't help find power feeds or audio lines in...

Spyder Garage

I am not sure why you cannot find the 12V GPS power and audio input. The The diagram posted above is from the service manual for a 2016 F3 T & L. I assume your 2016 is an F3 T or L. Since this is a F3 forum. If it is an RT. Of course you cannot find it. It is on the other side. Look at the item labeled GPS2. It is power on with the key. Not power on with engine start.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I am not sure why you cannot find the 12V GPS power and audio input. The The diagram posted above is from the service manual for a 2016 F3 T & L. I assume your 2016 is an F3 T or L. Since this is a F3 forum. If it is an RT. Of course you cannot find it. It is on the other side. Look at the item labeled GPS2. It is power on with the key. Not power on with engine start.
    On our 2016 everything is right where it was described, on the left side right under the screws that attached the front & rear side panels. On friend's 2017 they are no where to be found, neither left or right side. We did find the "Customer Accessory outlets" that require the engine to be running. We removed eight body panels, leaving the saddlebags, frunk hood & radiator shrouds. we wound up tapping into a line behind the left driving light. But we couldn't connect audio..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Matahead View Post
    Info varies buy year, & model. Maybe on the friend's '17 it will start immediately. Our '16 won't. Still doesn't help find power feeds or audio lines in...
    My '16 starting sequence -> press brake -> key on -> press start -> press mode. Instant start & go before the welcome screen goes away.