Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Port Angeles WA
    Posts
    6

    Default GPS Power 2017 F3 Limited

    I just bought a 2017 F3 Limited and I ordered a Garmin Zumo GPS. I have no idea where to connect the power so I can use all of the GPS features, sound, etc. Where is the suggested place on the F3 to connect a GPS? Any help is really appreciated as I’m very new to this great ride. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Active Member al0vely's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    450

    Default Customer accessory circuits

    On my 2016 F3L there are a 3 "customer accessory circuits" as noted in the owners manual page 37 for my unit. Under the passenger seat, behind lateral service cover, and behind front storage compartment. I used one of these to power my Garmin but I don't have a connection to the speakers. Someone will chime in with how to wire the Garmin in for sound - although you could optionally search this forum as it has already been discussed before.

    The manual is full of a lot of good stuff - don't forget to read it.
    Last edited by al0vely; 09-14-2018 at 01:33 AM.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L SE6 delivered 7/16/2016
    Lamonster - third peg, key cover; BRP - driver and passenger backrest, half cover, vibration damper; Wolo Bad Boy horn; Wrap My Spyder decals; SpyderPops - foam grips, Brake/run/turn lights, mirror turn signal lights, bump skid; PB1 -Spyder F3 Performance Foot Pegs

    2014 RTS SE6 - Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018 for my daughter to share w/me.
    No more 2 wheels

  3. #3
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Farmington, Delaware
    Posts
    43

    Default

    The GPS connections for the harness is on the left side midway back. I installed my Zumo 660 using BRP harness there. It was plug and play connection.
    SpyDel
    2017 F3 Limited

  4. #4
    Very Active Member billybovine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mitchell, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,083

    Default GPS connections

    The 12V power and audio connection to the radio are are marked on the following pic as GPS2. For connecting a Zumo GPS.

    F3T gps.jpg

    2018 F3 LIMITED

  5. #5
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Nashville, GA
    Posts
    155

    Default GPS wire in

    Quote Originally Posted by Bballistick View Post
    I just bought a 2017 F3 Limited and I ordered a Garmin Zumo GPS. I have no idea where to connect the power so I can use all of the GPS features, sound, etc. Where is the suggested place on the F3 to connect a GPS? Any help is really appreciated as I’m very new to this great ride. Thanks!
    On my 2018 F3 Limited, you open the service panel up top on the left side, and you will see a white tag around a wire, and it states this wire is for customer's accessaries ! That is where I plan on hooking mine GPS up! Hope this helps!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Port Angeles WA
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The 12V power and audio connection to the radio are are marked on the following pic as GPS2. For connecting a Zumo GPS.

    F3T gps.jpg
    Excellent. Thanks!

  7. #7
    Active Member Rattlebars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Posts
    151

    Default

    The GPS 12v is not the same as the "user" 12v connection. The GPS gets voltage with the key on bike not running and keeps 12v for about 10 seconds after the key is turned off. I will have to determine if the RDO part is actually a line in because I could not find it when hooking up audio. I will look again. It appears that to connect something to it may require a gender changer 1/8" jack for some audio devices. The wiring diagrams are ..... not that great in the service manual.


    On the f3t the GPS 12v is under the rear left side panel, not the upper service panel. Torx required there. Once you get to it, it would be a good idea to extend wires under the covers so that you will have access to the GPS circuit under the service cover. Lamonster has the location shown in the video


    >CLICK ME<

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Port Angeles WA
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by south GA Farm Boy View Post
    On my 2018 F3 Limited, you open the service panel up top on the left side, and you will see a white tag around a wire, and it states this wire is for customer's accessaries ! That is where I plan on hooking mine GPS up! Hope this helps!
    I’ve seen that. I was wondering if that would connect the gps up to the speakers or just the power?

  9. #9
    Very Active Member billybovine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mitchell, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bballistick View Post
    I’ve seen that. I was wondering if that would connect the gps up to the speakers or just the power?
    The customer accessory circuits are powered with the engine running. You can certainly power your gps from there. If you wish.

    The gps power connector is lower down and farther back on the chassis. It is power on with the key on. Which I believe would be preferable for a gps.

    The OP asked about his 2017 model. The gps connectors. 12V power from the radio. Also a gps input for audio to the radio in the same location.

    On the 2018 models. The gps connector. 12V power comes from a fuse shared by the cluster and dps. I do not see any allowance for gps audio input to the radio.

    2018 F3 LIMITED

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Port Angeles WA
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The customer accessory circuits are powered with the engine running. You can certainly power your gps from there. If you wish.

    The gps power connector is lower down and farther back on the chassis. It is power on with the key on. Which I believe would be preferable for a gps.

    The OP asked about his 2017 model. The gps connectors. 12V power from the radio. Also a gps input for audio to the radio in the same location.

    On the 2018 models. The gps connector. 12V power comes from a fuse shared by the cluster and dps. I do not see any allowance for gps audio input to the radio.

    Thanks for for all of the info. I ended up wiring it to the connector under the left lateral service cover. I looked for a connection where the gps2 is noted on your diagram but all I saw was a mini plug. So what I’ve got now is a functioning gps, but no sound coming through the radio which is fine for me as I pay more attention to the gps visually anyways. Again, thanks for all the imput.

  11. #11
    Active Member Rattlebars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Posts
    151

    Default Managed to find the GPS audio in - details

    I managed to find the GPS audio in behind the rear lateral cover. I got the GPS input to work with my Nüvi 56.

    Details on modifiying a Nüvi for audio out and how to make it work with the OEM audio in an be found here: >CLICK ME<




  12. #12
    Very Active Member billybovine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mitchell, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,083

    Default

    On 2014 and earlier models. The gps input into the radio was only designed for gps. It would override any other audio source when audio was output from the gps. It would cut back to the original source when there was quiet spots in the music. For some reason although the connections where stereo. Only the left channel input went out over both left and right speakers. So the gps made a very lousy mp3 player. On 2015 and later models, I think, they changed that so that you had a gps source screen on the display. So you could use the gps as a mp3 player with good sound that did not cut out and was in stereo.

    2018 F3 LIMITED

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Port Angeles WA
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    I managed to find the GPS audio in behind the rear lateral cover. I got the GPS input to work with my Nüvi 56.

    Details on modifiying a Nüvi for audio out and how to make it work with the OEM audio in an be found here: >CLICK ME<

    Great site btw. I liked your mods.

  14. #14
    Active Member Rattlebars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    On 2014 and earlier models. The gps input into the radio was only designed for gps. It would override any other audio source when audio was output from the gps. It would cut back to the original source when there was quiet spots in the music. For some reason although the connections where stereo. Only the left channel input went out over both left and right speakers. So the gps made a very lousy mp3 player. On 2015 and later models, I think, they changed that so that you had a gps source screen on the display. So you could use the gps as a mp3 player with good sound that did not cut out and was in stereo.
    Correct. Anything I post is specific to the 2016 F3-T. I have no access to other models.

    The NAV input selection is so that Zumos equipped with Sirius/xm or gps models with a built in player would work. It does indeed work great if your fone can read text messages, tho. No interruptions unless you get a message!

    nav.jpg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •