Spyder Garage

Default I am looking for the best way to move my RT around

Hi everyone,
    I have a 2015 RT limited and this year we would like to store it in the back part of our garage instead of the husbands RC airplane trailer. I have seen pictures of people moving their spyders around on dollies (I believe). I am wondering if there is a specific kind I should get or what...any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!

Lisa

Spyder Garage
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GOZFST View Post

Thank you...I was just wondering if one would be better than another that's all.

Spyder Garage

From what I see in the links that have been providedthe curved platform dollies with 1,000 lb capacity would do the trick; you will need 2 pr to accommodate three wheels. In addition, you will need a lift to get the Spyder off the ground so you can get it onto and off of the dollies. For that lift you could buy this one, https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-l...ift-60536.html, or this one from Sears, https://www.sears.com/craftsman-prof...2&blockType=G2. I have no experience with either model, need to get one myself and tend to lean toward the Sears model based on comments from other SL members.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wheel dollies work well for pushing a trike into the corner of the garage.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 1250 lb. Capacity Vehicle Positioning Wheel Dollies shown, come with a jacking feature. That would eliminate having to buy a jack.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

I have a pair of these:

https://www.harborfreight.com/1250-l...lly-61917.html

I have used them to move my car within my garage as well as my popup camper. They are stable and easy to use and I had absolutely no trouble putting them around the tires of my car or my camper (4 ft. 9 1/2 in, 105 lb woman) and then just pushing the vehicle in which ever direction you choose. The wheel dolly's will stay pumped up and keep your vehicle off the concrete floor allowing you to move it whenever you choose to.
    2016 RTL , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

A lift is awesome to have around for maintenance....get one with wheels and kill 2 birds with one stone. Easy peasy.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    The 1250 lb. Capacity Vehicle Positioning Wheel Dollies shown, come with a jacking feature. That would eliminate having to buy a jack.
    Didn't even notice them. Good point!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Dolliies for Spyder

I use 3 of the Harbor Freight wooden furniture dollies.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...nk%2Cf&q=dolly
    18" x 12" size with a couple of pieces of 2x4 filling the gap to support the front tires.

Rolls easy on concrete.

Also have a Red MC lift similar the the Harbor freight lift.
    https://www.amazon.com/Torin-Big-Red...orcycle+liftMC

This system has served me well for the past 3 years.
    Last edited by Haze; 09-23-2018 at 11:58 PM.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Default Amazon

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    I use 3 of the Harbor Freight wooden furniture dollies.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...nk%2Cf&q=dolly
    18" x 12" size with a couple of pieces of 2x4 filling the gap to support the front tires.

Rolls easy on concrete.

Also have a Red MC lift similar the the Harbor freight lift.
    https://www.amazon.com/Torin-Big-Red...orcycle+liftMC

This system has served me well for the past 3 years.
    Good morning Haze.

I need to get a lift and was thinking of getting that Amazon one you have, just had couple questions for you.
    Does it slide under the Spyder w no problem? I’ve heard some lifts are a bit too high and have to be jacked up a bit before using the lift.
    ‘Does the Spyder feel secure when you move it around using the lift? (I hear some bend/don’t roll).
    ‘I was watching a review on lifts, they said the Harbor Freight was junk, and the other lift wouldn’t roll. So they were pushing a $500 Lift....got the feeling the company who makes the $500 did the video.
    Do you always use the lift & dolly method stated above or have you left your Spyder on lift without dollies.
    ‘Thank you.

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred View Post
    Good morning Haze.

I need to get a lift and was thinking of getting that Amazon one you have, just had couple questions for you.
    Does it slide under the Spyder w no problem? I’ve heard some lifts are a bit too high and have to be jacked up a bit before using the lift.
    I also hear that same thing when it comes to buying a lift for some 2 wheelers (Like my M109). But I have found that it is so easy to cut a small piece of 2x6 and place in front of each wheel. Once you pull up on the wood, magically, your bike or trike is now high enough to get the jack under it. A simple solution to a complex problem.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

LisaT
    Look at this thread about lifts. I have a J & S motorcycle dolly and a Spyder adapter. This is a very stable setup, you can even get on the Spyder while on the dolly. I also posted pictures. It is also easy to move around on the dolly.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...95#post1333695

2022 Spyder RT Limited Sea to Sky Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

We have the Harbor Freight wheel dollies with the jacking feature... they work very well. They lift each of the wheels up off the ground just enough and with one one each wheel it stays stable. We also have a Sears MC jack and while it will certainly lift the spyder all the way off the ground, I never would feel comfortable actually moving the spyder with it. Just too unstable for me.

Good morning Haze.

‘Does the Spyder feel secure when you move it around using the lift? (I hear some bend/don’t roll).
    ‘I was watching a review on lifts, they said the Harbor Freight was junk, and the other lift wouldn’t roll. So they were pushing a $500 Lift....got the feeling the company who makes the $500 did the video.
    Do you always use the lift & dolly method stated above or have you left your Spyder on lift without dollies.
    ‘Thank you.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default Lift and Dollies

Good morning Haze.

‘Thank you.

I have a 2013 Spyder STS with Elka shocks and springs. Bought the jack 5 yrs ago. The Big Red Jack slides under the bike frame with no clearance issues. Albeit, I run the jack platform all the way down before I push the jack under the bike. I position the jack as far back as possible to stay in contact with the frame. My only issue is making sure I don't go too far under the bike as the Spyder side bodywork can contact the jack frame when raising or lowering. I'm very careful and do my final positioning by laying in the floor to sight in and make final adjustment. My Honda Shadow caused my problems with the jack than my Spyder. The Spyder is moderately stable at height but my nature is use jack stands if i am lifting at any height where I could get under the bike. I would not get on top of the bike while on any jack.
    I have moved the bike, turned, but not pulled or pushed the bike while on the jack. Hence the use of the Harbor Freight furniture Dollies.
    Note: The jack lifts nice and slow. It comes down fast if you don't modulate the release pedal. I'm installing a big screw to use as a stop for the release pedal.
    Cheers, David C.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack