Spyder Garage

Default Transmission Problems maiden voyage 2018 RT LTD

Was on my maiden voyage 2018 RT LTD , cruising along in 6th gear then all of a sudden sounds like the transmission exploded. Banging and clanking, marbles in a blender, burnt clutch smell. Pulled over immediately. Let it cool, won’t go into reverse, goes into first after a few tries, but bangs and clanks like the gears are butting heads. Only 40 miles on it. Taking it back to dealer but that’s another 3 1/2 hr drive one way. Anyone have any ideas what happened? Would like an idea of what may be going on when I talk to dealer on Tuesday. Oil level is fine, no fault codes.

Spyder Garage

Yeah, something very serious.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a replacement bike is in order. I wouldn't even mess with trying to get it fixed. Let your dealer and BRP sort it out as you ride away on your new replacement bike.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Keep us posted. What you describe does not sound good. Heck of a first post.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes...!!!

Sorry to hear. From the discription of the sounds I'm surprised it goes in a n't gear. but then the burnt clutch smell could explain a lot and the gears could be fine. Will be interesting to find out but not fun for a first ryde...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default brother , or sister !

Quote Originally Posted by ;1390312
    Was on my maiden voyage 2018 RT LTD , cruising along in 6th gear then all of a sudden sounds like the transmission exploded. Banging and clanking, marbles in a blender, burnt clutch smell. Pulled over immediately. Let it cool, won’t go into reverse, goes into first after a few tries, but bangs and clanks like the gears are butting heads. Only 40 miles on it. Taking it back to dealer but that’s another 3 1/2 hr drive one way. Anyone have any ideas what happened? Would like an idea of what may be going on when I talk to dealer on Tuesday. Oil level is fine, no fault codes.
    get your bike history in order for b-r-p if this clutch came apart this fast , they will want to know your break in history , did you do all the sequence ride instructions ? ( any one who bought a new cycle please chime in ) what is the " break -in " ride suppose to be , and how many miles until someone can let-er rip down the road ? ( I had been thinking the break in period was like 1000 miles under 50 m-p-h ? with starting and stopping , to go through the gears ? ) ------- Saxmanvtx wow sorry for your interrupted ride , but tow that baby back too the dealer , and start from the beginning ! keep the forum up too date please this is an interesting thread ... ( as akspyderman says )

Spyder Garage

Ideally, your dealer of choice has an excellent service department with quality technicians. From past topics about early / low mileage failures, it seems the dealer is a huge factor in the outcome and customer satisfaction. There are far more topics regarding the Spyder being repaired and the customer getting some additional warranty time added on. Unless it is extremely bad, with irreparable damage the likelihood of them replacing the entire Spyder is very low.

The way you described it, if the gearbox has failed, BRP will make the decision on how they will proceed. Expect, if the damage is bad for the bike to be down for several weeks or more, so pressure your dealer for a loaner to ride while yours is repaired.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Sounds like a replacement bike is in order. I wouldn't even mess with trying to get it fixed. Let your dealer and BRP sort it out as you ride away on your new replacement bike.....
    I doubt that but a new transmission is possibly what's needed.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Very sorry to hear this. Have patience, BRP can take a LONG time to resolve large warranty claims....months. But they usually do the right thing in the end. You really should see if your dealer will swap it out for another new one and then fix it on their own time since its so new. Good luck and keep us posted.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Getting a new replacement

I spoke to the GM at our dealership. They are going to give me a new unit and let BRP fix this one. We have purchased several things from them, including another Spyder RT just a couple weeks ago. So they are taking care of us.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like your dealer is a keeper.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Saxmanvtx View Post
    I spoke to the GM at our dealership. They are going to give me a new unit and let BRP fix this one. We have purchased several things from them, including another Spyder RT just a couple weeks ago. So they are taking care of us.
    That has to be a record for the fastest resolution to a problem I have ever seen. That is fantastic they are taking care of you.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

A dealer doing the right thing in a very timely manner is a dealer whose name worth mentioning.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default Dealer taking care of us

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    A dealer doing the right thing in a very timely manner is a dealer whose name worth mentioning.

Its Mancuso Gulf Fwy in Houston. We have purchased from them before and just traded my wife’s 2012 RT LTD on a 2018 a couple weeks ago.. I’m relieved they are replacing it.

Spyder Garage

sounds like you have a good dealership!! Good Luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default Picked up replacement today. Learned something interesting on the other.

We made the trip to exchange the broken RTL for the new one today. Mancuso was ready for us when we got there. They immediately took the damaged one to the back with a fork lift and had the replacement ready to go. As we were getting ready to leave, the service manager comes over to us and shows us a photo he took on his phone. The transmission cover had a crack and a huge hunk knocked out of it. So I guess my description to them that it sounded like the transmission exploded was accurate. He said he would let me know what came apart once they learned. They have never had an issue like this before. Crazy. Glad they replaced it.

Spyder Garage

Default BRP Forensics

Dealer called today to make sure there were no issues with replacement bike. Told me that BRP is going to pick up the broken Spyder and return to factory to try and determine what went wrong. Over 100,000 sold and never had one self destruct like this one. I hope they let us know if they are able to determine what went wrong.
    2018 RTL Champagne Metallic Dark Edition - His
    2018 RTL Oxford Blue Metallic Chrome Edition - Hers

Spyder Garage

Dealer called today to make sure there were no issues with replacement bike. Told me that BRP is going to pick up the broken Spyder and return to factory to try and determine what went wrong. Over 100,000 sold and never had one self destruct like this one. I hope they let us know if they are able to determine what went wrong.
    Glad to hear of the follow up. The way the whole situation was handled seems to be a first. A good sign.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

With odds like that you need to go play the Lottery. LOL

Spyder Garage

Default How is the new one ?

That is great news. How is the new replacement running for you? Much better I hope.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by al0vely View Post
    That is great news. How is the new replacement running for you? Much better I hope.
    Yes, much better. Took it on a hundred mile cruise and it didn’t self destruct!
    Last edited by Saxmanvtx; 09-16-2018 at 10:26 PM. Reason: typo
    2018 RTL Champagne Metallic Dark Edition - His
    2018 RTL Oxford Blue Metallic Chrome Edition - Hers