Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Okay, Who'd pay to get rid of the 'Read Card' Message?

Well, being the anal retentive electrical engineer that I am, I'm offended by BRP's insistence that we wait a few seconds and then promise that, like good little children, we've read the dang safety card, OVER AND OVER.

On those nights when I'm having a hard time getting to bed, like tonight, I start to think about ways to better the world. Tonight, I had an epiphany. It is inherently simple to design a small circuit on a tiny board that will short across one or the other of the mode switches, say N seconds after you turn the key switch on... thereby eliminating the BRP safety card nag. The device could be designed so that it would only 'push' the switch if the key's been off for 5 minutes, so no unnecessary pushes if the system isn't gonna show the nag anyway.

SO, since my time is valuable, I have to figure out what it's worth to you all? If I could provide a turnkey board, with connectors, that simply plugs in between two existing connectors, what would the Spyder community be willing to pay for this luxury? $25? $50? $100? I don't know, but it's sure something I'm gonna think about in my little spare time over the weekend... maybe get NMN in on it, for his marketing talent?

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent, but I am serious about designing and building this, at least for myself... I'll be looking at the schematics tomorrow and maybe we'll have a solution shortly!
    Last edited by QuadManiac; 06-06-2009 at 03:10 AM.
    '08 SE5 #123 - Red - F1 Slider - BRP Comfort Seat - Spyder City 3" Riser

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

You mean you don't read the safetu card each time you start the spyder??? and you don't have senior moments??? and you are irratated that you have to push one of the two mode switches?

Just a thought... you might want to consider that the mode circuit also give you the abilitiy to clear, set and adjust many cluster functions. So the PCB you suggest just might disable those functions as well.

Invalid Emails
    Pensacola Florida & Baja Alabama (Robertsdale)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by QuadManiac View Post
    Well, being the anal retentive electrical engineer that I am, I'm offended by BRP's insistence that we wait a few seconds and then promise that, like good little children, we've read the dang safety card, OVER AND OVER.
    You must know that there some of us that have never even pulled the card out EXCEPT to make fun of it to a Lawyer friend! I have never read it!

Nearly every time I ride I have to open the trunk so I just turn the key on at that time and touch the "button" as I climb on board! I will just use your profit margin to put in a tank or two of fuel. You have to remember, if you take over four seconds to hit 60mph you are wasting time anyway!

Spyder Garage

I would pay you to put the nanny on a switch.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I would pay you to put the nanny on a switch.
    but with the "all-time off" position
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

I don't ever read the safety card or even the scrolling message on the screen. When I turn the key and it starts to scroll that is when I hit the Mode button on the left handlebar and I'm good to start up. No real problem. I guess I would not pay money just for a 2-3 second wait to start my spyder. The other nice thing about this and it was mentioned a long time back. It is kind of an antitheft device. Non spyder folks will have a heck of a time trying to figure out how to get the spyder started.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    I don't ever read the safety card or even the scrolling message on the screen. When I turn the key and it starts to scroll that is when I hit the Mode button on the left handlebar and I'm good to start up. No real problem. I guess I would not pay money just for a 2-3 second wait to start my spyder. The other nice thing about this and it was mentioned a long time back. It is kind of an antitheft device. Non spyder folks will have a heck of a time trying to figure out how to get the spyder started.
    You mean I've been reading that card all this time for nothing?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post
    +1
    +2

Spyder Garage

THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Uh... What card? When I installed my GPS over the dash, I removed that piece. ( As the bolts go down through the dash)

But add me to the list for a nanny. Supposedly, if you stop and start within a few seconds... minutes... the notice doesn't appear. I've tried to fill my gas tank quickly, spilling it all over the, as it overflows, and still haven't " beat the clock"

So instead of keeping miles ridden, I'm keeping track of how many times I'm supposed to read this message !
    SE5 Moon (delivered Aug'08), Cal-Sci windshield, Zumo 550, tank bag, backrest & luggage rack, kurykan Iso grips, and SwingWing pegs, NM's 4" risers, Russell Day Long Seat, Buschtec hitch, Alumna MCT trailer

Spyder Garage

+1 Doesn't bother me in the least...and I worked my last 30 years as an engineer.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

I agree...try to have someone start up your spyder..it will take them a while..every little bit helps when they cant start it right away. Oh and my card is long gome

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by czdaryle View Post
    I agree...try to have someone start up your spyder..it will take them a while..every little bit helps when they cant start it right away. Oh and my card is long gome
    It starts without the card in place??

Spyder Garage

On those nights when I'm having a hard time getting to bed, like tonight, I start to think about ways to better the world. Tonight, I had an epiphany. It is inherently simple to design a small circuit on a tiny board that will short across one or the other of the mode switches, say N seconds after you turn the key switch on... thereby eliminating the BRP safety card nag. The device could be designed so that it would only 'push' the switch if the key's been off for 5 minutes, so no unnecessary pushes if the system isn't gonna show the nag anyway.

SO, since my time is valuable, I have to figure out what it's worth to you all? If I could provide a turnkey board, with connectors, that simply plugs in between two existing connectors, what would the Spyder community be willing to pay for this luxury? $25? $50? $100? I don't know, but it's sure something I'm gonna think about in my little spare time over the weekend... maybe get NMN in on it, for his marketing talent?

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent, but I am serious about designing and building this, at least for myself... I'll be looking at the schematics tomorrow and maybe we'll have a solution shortly!
    One word : Xanax

Put me on the list for the anti-nanny switch !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    You mean I've been reading that card all this time for nothing?

Caution:When you argue with an idiot,You have to lower your standards and then you get beat by their experience

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I dont find the need to push the mode button a nuisance at all. I would however like to be able to change the message that scrolls telling you to read the card and acknowledgs by pushing the mode button. If you could keep it from saying that, it would act even more as an anti theft device, cuz the thief would have no idea how to start it then.
    I can think of some good messages to scroll there...LOL

Spyder Garage

One of the better switches on my wifes Honda van...VSS on/off.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by czdaryle View Post

my brother wanted to try out my . I handed him the key and told him to go ahead. It was fun watching him spend 5-10 minutes trying to start the . He kept asking where the safrty card was and then when he found it he actually read it and pushed it back in. When it didn't start he pulled it back out and pushed it back in several times before I could hold a straight face anymore...
    Bill
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Gulf Coast Spyder Ryders -- look for us in the Ryder Group/Club shortcut on the homepage.

New Ryders always welcome!!!

Spyder Garage

They could change the message to read, "Good Morning, Mr. Phelps."
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

My best guess about the scrolling, card, etc., is BRP is covering liability issues. If something happens to you and it could have been prevented by following the instructions on the card they are covered. I use the card many times to cover the instrument cluster from the desert sun here in the Southwest. I have already lost one cluster from reflective sun rays off the after-market windshield. Now I also use a pillow case type covering over the whole windshiled. No more reflections.
    I agree with the push-to-clear button being another factor to deter anyone starting the Spyder. It can't be started without the programmed key, but what if you lost the key and someone found it in the parking lot? Anything to deter gets my vote. I have found the Spyder to be a very advanced-in-safety machine and have not modified a thing on it, nor do I want to. I know, to each his/her own, but that's my "his own".
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Well, I didn't say my late night epiphanies make any sense... except to me... late at night.

I wish the 'nanny-off switch' would be as easy as the 'nag-off switch', but not so. Sounds like the anti-theft and 'fun factor' is worth more than getting rid of the nag anyway.

Back to the drawing board! Maybe some sleep would help.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    They could change the message to read, "Good Morning, Mr. Phelps."
    -Scotty
    And ends "This Spyder will self destruct in five seconds"?
    Last edited by QuadManiac; 06-06-2009 at 12:59 PM.

Spyder Garage

And ends "This Spyder will self destruct in five seconds"?
    That ought to deter theft, alright!
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Theft deterrant? So I guess reading English is a unique ability bestowed upon Spyder owners only?

Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would pay someone to have the message and long delay removed from my Odyssey Navigation screen at startup. It prevents use of the backup camera, meaning it allows you to backup without the camera, a safety flaw in my opinon.
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!