Spyder Garage

Default Possible starter problems

My 2011 Rt tries to start and then just starts clicking. However I can wait a couple hours and it may start right up. There’s no messages and the battery shows a full charge on the charger. Anyone else experience this?

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer.....

How old is the battery...?? you could have a faulty ground or battery connections. The battery could just be done....you could have only a surface charge that can give you one good crank going back to clicking. A good load test would clear some things up as well as a jumper battery. But if the battery does check out then start looking into the starter. There were some where the magnets came unglued in the starter...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks Brother.
    bought this from a very nice widow lady. Her husband had not done much do to his illness. It’s most likely the original miles but I can definitely see the battery going over the time in storage.
    probably good to replace and know what I got. This is my first spyder and I can’t get enough. Thanks again and God Bless

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mgenter View Post
    My 2011 Rt tries to start and then just starts clicking. However I can wait a couple hours and it may start right up. There’s no messages and the battery shows a full charge on the charger. Anyone else experience this?

It sounds like a dead cell within the battery. If you can, remove it and take it to an auto parts store or battery shop and have them do a load test. That is the only sure way to know if the battery is good or not. Batteries can show 12v (or so), but have a dead short within and not have the amperage to start a vehicle.

A quick home brew way to test this (again, if you can) is to put a voltmeter onto the battery and read the voltage while someone hits the starter button. If the voltage drops from 12v (it should be about 13.4v) to below 10v, your battery is done.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Thanks my friend, that’s exactly what I’m going to do.
    God Bless