Spyder Garage

Default Service cover blew off new F3 Limited while pulling it on an open trailer

Has anyone had a problem with the service covers blowing off while transporting their F3 Spyder on an open trailer! While bringing my new 2018 Spyder F-3 limited home today from the dealer after purchasing it, the left service cover was missing when I got home! Had traveled over 110 miles home, so no way to go back and find it! Do you have to tie them down or just take both of them off if you are transporting them on an open trailer? IT is brand new, so the dealer is ordering me one, but it has to come from Canada. It may have been left unlatch by the Tech while he was preparing it for me to pick up! I have had two RT Limited's before this new F3 and never lost anything, so any suggestions will be appreciated!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by south GA Farm Boy View Post
    Has anyone had a problem with the service covers blowing off while transporting their F3 Spyder on an open trailer! While bringing my new 2018 Spyder F-3 limited home today from the dealer after purchasing it, the left service cover was missing when I got home! Had traveled over 110 miles home, so no way to go back and find it! Do you have to tie them down or just take both of them off if you are transporting them on an open trailer? IT is brand new, so the dealer is ordering me one, but it has to come from Canada. It may have been left unlatch by the Tech while he was preparing it for me to pick up! I have had two RT Limited's before this new F3 and never lost anything, so any suggestions will be appreciated!
    Techs are notorious for failure to put covers back on properly. The last time I brought it in--they were good--previous half a dozen times--FAIL.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

What are you calling the left Service cover?
    The small triangle cover on top, or the one on the side that goes from the fog lights to just under the seat?
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I’m betting the tech didn’t secure it properly. The screw down system works.
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Things should not be flying off the bike. Something was not installed correctly.

Spyder Garage

The side cover has 4 screws and 3 push pins plus another point of contact under the frunk. It would be gross negligence it that blew off.
    Last edited by AY4B; 09-08-2018 at 09:16 AM.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Side cover blew off my new F3 Limited while transporting it on trailer

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    What are you calling the left Service cover?
    The small triangle cover on top, or the one on the side that goes from the fog lights to just under the seat?
    I was talking about the small triangular cover on top on the left side. Thanks

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Depending on how it was towed (behind what vehicle) the air stream is much modified from the normal wind action. As an example: I towed my Prairie 650 for thousands of miles on an open trailer, but when I loaned it to a friend for hunting, he towed it for less than 20 miles and the air cleaner cover blew off. I suspect that it was because he towed behind his pick up with a smaller shorter trailer where I towed it behind my Avalanche. One should note that it is wise to secure everything before heading to the highway.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

It likely wasn’t installed properly. It isn’t the easiest thing to get lined up properly, you’ve got to be sure it is laying flat or it will come off.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I was talking about the small triangular cover on top on the left side. Thanks
    OK , I can see how that can blow off much more easily, If you do not twist the knob a quarter turn there is little to keep it from blowing away, or like Ann said if the front 2 tabs are not under the front lip of the body.
    Last edited by AY4B; 09-09-2018 at 11:22 AM.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Service cover on 2018 F3 LTD

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    It likely wasn’t installed properly. It isn’t the easiest thing to get lined up properly, you’ve got to be sure it is laying flat or it will come off.
    SpyderAnn01, Where can I order one from, Can Am doesn't show any place to order it from, and Cheap Motorcycle parts doesn't show this part? The Dealer is suppose to be getting me one since it is brand new and i was on my way home with it, I don't think the Tech put it back on properly! Waiting on a Dealer, I may never get it, so I will buy one if I can find where to order it from!
    Thanks,

Spyder Garage

SpyderAnn01, Where can I order one from, Can Am doesn't show any place to order it from, and Cheap Motorcycle parts doesn't show this part? The Dealer is suppose to be getting me one since it is brand new and i was on my way home with it, I don't think the Tech put it back on properly! Waiting on a Dealer, I may never get it, so I will buy one if I can find where to order it from!
    Thanks,
    it is part number 1600a in the attached diagram, you specify color

https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp...e95b8a/console

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Default F3 service cover

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    it is part number 1600a in the attached diagram, you specify color

https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp...e95b8a/console
    ofdave,
    Thank you very much for sharing where I can purchase one! I went and looked at the site you provided. It is a little pricey at $174.99. I will give the dealer a few days to get me one, and if he doesn't i will order one myself. His tech had to leave it loose while he was checking it out for me to pick up (brand new), and I didn't check behind him since I was used to RT's! Thanks again for your help!!!!

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

One needs to order the latch for an additional $2.00

to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey