Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Natchez Trace Ride

Got back today from 2,250 mile ride from MI to Natchez, MS. Left last Sunday at 43 degrees and warmed up to 93 degrees in Natchez. Trace is a nice 400 mile flat, straight 50 mph ride with lots of history. Not nearly as challenging or scenic as the Blue Ridge Parkway, but still fun. Saw lots of small wildlife, but no deer; too hot. Eight states and three big rivers; Mississippi, Tennessee and Ohio. Stayed off the interstates the whole way and saw lots of small town America. I will be seeing "reduce speed ahead" signs in my sleep for weeks.

Spyder performed great. Rode with a Harley Road King and Harley Low Rider and they expected to run away from "that three wheeled no leaner". They were shocked at the cornering and acceleration of the big trike with the little sewing machine engine. When the rain came on Thursday, they learned the real advantage of three wheels with big contact patch. They are Harley guys and will not be buying a Spyder, but they gave up their trash talk when the Spyder performance earned their respect.

Based on observations during the ride, Spyder ran at 3 bars for about 60% of the time, 4 bars about 30% of the time, 5 bars about 9.9% of the time and 6 bars 0.1% of the time. Downtown Memphis, 93 degrees, stop and go traffic and three times it showed six bars for about a minute each time. No relay issues, no fuses, no bulbs burned out, no trunk leaks, no gas smells, no steering issues, and used about 6 ounces of oil. Only tool used was 6 mm allen wrench as Harley mirror came loose and they have no tool kit.

3,000 miles in first 365 days and 2,250 in the last six. Need to rest for a day or two to let muscles recover.

Before next long trip, three changes; 1) highway pegs, 2) BBs, bar snake or other vibration device, 3) throttle lock/cruise control.

To use some song references, the Spyder was "Born to Run", but not for "Walking in Memphis".

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPjunkie View Post
    Got back today from 2,250 mile ride from MI to Natchez, MS. Left last Sunday at 43 degrees and warmed up to 93 degrees in Natchez. Trace is a nice 400 mile flat, straight 50 mph ride with lots of history. Not nearly as challenging or scenic as the Blue Ridge Parkway, but still fun. Saw lots of small wildlife, but no deer; too hot. Eight states and three big rivers; Mississippi, Tennessee and Ohio. Stayed off the interstates the whole way and saw lots of small town America. I will be seeing "reduce speed ahead" signs in my sleep for weeks.

Spyder performed great. Rode with a Harley Road King and Harley Low Rider and they expected to run away from "that three wheeled no leaner". They were shocked at the cornering and acceleration of the big trike with the little sewing machine engine. When the rain came on Thursday, they learned the real advantage of three wheels with big contact patch. They are Harley guys and will not be buying a Spyder, but they gave up their trash talk when the Spyder performance earned their respect.

Based on observations during the ride, Spyder ran at 3 bars for about 60% of the time, 4 bars about 30% of the time, 5 bars about 9.9% of the time and 6 bars 0.1% of the time. Downtown Memphis, 93 degrees, stop and go traffic and three times it showed six bars for about a minute each time. No relay issues, no fuses, no bulbs burned out, no trunk leaks, no gas smells, no steering issues, and used about 6 ounces of oil. Only tool used was 6 mm allen wrench as Harley mirror came loose and they have no tool kit.

3,000 miles in first 365 days and 2,250 in the last six. Need to rest for a day or two to let muscles recover.

Before next long trip, three changes; 1) highway pegs, 2) BBs, bar snake or other vibration device, 3) throttle lock/cruise control.

To use some song references, the Spyder was "Born to Run", but not for "Walking in Memphis".
    Nice write up, glad you had a great time. It sounds like the spyder performed admirably. I hope we have just as good of an experience with our spyders on the way out to LA.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear your trip was a big success, and went without incident. Being well prepared usually seems to scare off the gremlins. I fully agree about the secure feeling you have while riding a Spyder in the rain. It is a delight for all-weather touring. Treat yourself to some linament, and enjoy the memories.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Smile

Roger

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Performance

Glad to hear the "Trace" was an enjoyable ride. It's been about 12yrs since I drove it, on 4 wheels, and was wondering how it would be on the Spyder. Thanks, I appreciate your input.