Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default No Head Lights or Fog Lits?

2014 RTL, I have no headlights on, I can hear the shutters working on the hi/low beams, however the lights themselves are not on. Turning the Fog light switch on or off does not seem seem to make a difference. All the running, turn, back-up, brake, aftermarket and dash lights are working. Checked all the fuses using an ohm meter and they checked out fine. Thoughts and suggestions much appreciated.

Kent
    Ride Safe All
    2014 RT Limited (Charlotte) in Cognac, Kuryakyn Grips,Tri-Axis Handle Bars, Rivco Armrests, a "finless" BT Dongle, TricLed Fender, Saddlebag, 3rd & 4th brake Lights, Custom Dynamics "Magic Strobes Brake Flasher", BajaRon Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters, Lighted Bumpskid, Rivco Highway Pegs, Rivco Cup Holders and Baker Built Air Wings. 215/60R-15 General Altimax Rt rear tire. 155/60R15 Kumho Solus front tires.

Spyder Garage

I just looked at the wiring diagram. Headlights and fog lights are 2 different systems and should not have problem at the same time. If the fogs are wired to factory. But I could be missing something. But the most important are the headlights. The problem would have to be relay R2 in the right fuse box. Loose or bad.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Fogs and Headlights are wired from the factory, however, all lights have been changed to TricLed LED's. Wired that all 4 will go out at the same time. I typically ride every day to work and with it getting dark, only noticed they were out today. They worked last week.
    Ride Safe All
    2014 RT Limited (Charlotte) in Cognac, Kuryakyn Grips,Tri-Axis Handle Bars, Rivco Armrests, a "finless" BT Dongle, TricLed Fender, Saddlebag, 3rd & 4th brake Lights, Custom Dynamics "Magic Strobes Brake Flasher", BajaRon Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters, Lighted Bumpskid, Rivco Highway Pegs, Rivco Cup Holders and Baker Built Air Wings. 215/60R-15 General Altimax Rt rear tire. 155/60R15 Kumho Solus front tires.

Spyder Garage

Then relay R2 it is. Because the shutters work. They are are on the same fuse as the headlights. So fuse is good.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

What is a good way to check the relay?
    Ride Safe All

Spyder Garage

Switch R1 with R2. If the lights come on and you can't switch between high and low beam any more. The relay is bad. If a dealer is not nearby. Take the relay with you to an auto parts store. They should be able to match one up.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I'll give it shot today. Thank you billy.

Kent
    Ride Safe All

Spyder Garage

Switching the Relays didn't fix the problem. However I noticed that I no longer hear the "relay" behind the dash that keeps the lights on for 15-20 seconds, I no longer hear that? Connected maybe?????

Kent
    Ride Safe All

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by remark2013 View Post
    Switching the Relays didn't fix the problem. However I noticed that I no longer hear the "relay" behind the dash that keeps the lights on for 15-20 seconds, I no longer hear that? Connected maybe?????

Kent
    The shutters still work?

I will look at the wiring diagram again.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Back to the basics in sequence.

Power for the headlights is from fuse J5 20 amp and J4 30 amp. Are they good?

Power to the headlamps is controlled by the ECM through both relay R1 and R2. Both are grounded when the engine starts and disconnected from ground 20 seconds after the engine starts. Can hear or feel the click from these relays when they go on or off?

The fog lights should be powered through the Load shedding relay. It's controlled by the dash. If it does not go on the air suspension should not work. So does it?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Both J5 and J4 are good, tested with an meter after removing them from fuse block. I will have to wait to see if relays are seeing power this evening after I get home from work. As to the suspension, I will check on that as well.

Kent

Oh and the shutters are still working.
    Ride Safe All

Spyder Garage

So I checked to see if the Relays were getting power. The way I checked was putting my hands on the relays then powering up the bike, after it started, I turned off the bike while still touching the relays, didn't feel like they were getting power. Also the air compressor is not operating!
    Any ideas what to check next?

Kent
    Ride Safe All

Spyder Garage

Just a reminder that the compressor only works with the engine running. So will assume that you knew that and the compressor is not working.

Try the horn. It should work even with the key off. If it does not work. Then a fuse has gone. F5 20 amp in the right fuse box. It is common for it to go if the air compressor has seized up.

If the horn works. Then the load shedding relay is the suspect. R3 in the right fuse box.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wired that all 4 will go out at the same time.
    How did you do that? Since they are completely segregated from each other I think maybe you cross connected something you shouldn't have.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Not saying this is the problem, but have you swapped in a known good bulb? TricLed seems to have many posts about bulb failures.

Spyder Garage

Idaho, I meant weird not wired. Stupid me.
    PMK, I normally would suspect a bulb, but having all 4 lights out at once make me think there is something else going on, however I could be wrong.

billy, horn still works and I have swapped relay R3 with R2, same results, no lights.

I will not have time to check things this evening as we have our Spyder Riders of America, Road Runners group Board meeting this evening, but I am off work tomorrow so....................keep sending ideas.

Kent
    Ride Safe All

Spyder Garage

Idaho, I meant weird not wired. Stupid me.
    PMK, I normally would suspect a bulb, but having all 4 lights out at once make me think there is something else going on, however I could be wrong.

billy, horn still works and I have swapped relay R3 with R2, same results, no lights.

I will not have time to check things this evening as we have our Spyder Riders of America, Road Runners group Board meeting this evening, but I am off work tomorrow so....................keep sending ideas.

Kent
    Did the LED lights work after you put them in, or have they been dark ever since? If they haven't ever worked then most likely you have all the plugs reversed. The plug to the power adapter can be plugged in in either direction, the right way and the wrong way. Wrong way won't work. Don't ask me how I know!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Idaho, all the lights have been working for over 3 years, then al of a sudden I lost headlights and Fog lights at the same time.
    Ride Safe All

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

I will admit have not looked at the wiring diagram yet to see if all the lights have a common ground. Perhaps a ground wire has become disconnected thus killing all the bulbs. I would also try installing one of the old bulbs in the socket or testing for power with a test light.

Worked in electronics my whole life, it is very possible all bulbs burned out at the same time. I would never assume this with standard halogen bulbs, but with led's and the electronics involved, it is in the realm of possibility.
    2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Idaho, all the lights have been working for over 3 years, then al of a sudden I lost headlights and Fog lights at the same time.
    I thought since you mentioned TricLEDs you just recently changed to them.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Check for voltage and Ground at lights

Quit guessing and get to the plug on one of the headlights or fog lights and check for voltage and ground...ONLY then will you know which way to go...larryd

Spyder Garage

Well guess what......................It's fixed.
    On a whim and with PMK's suggestion I tried a known good factory bulb for both the headlights and Fog lights.................Lights came on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I would have bet big $$$$$$$$$ that it wasn't the bulbs! Live and learn I guess. A huge thank you to Billy for taking the time and trying to help trouble shoot my issue. Also to the rest of the posters with ideas about what is wrong, thank you. Have a great weekend and ride safe you all.

Kent.
    Ride Safe All

Spyder Garage

Well guess what......................It's fixed.
    On a whim and with PMK's suggestion I tried a known good factory bulb for both the headlights and Fog lights.................Lights came on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I would have bet big $$$$$$$$$ that it wasn't the bulbs! Live and learn I guess. A huge thank you to Billy for taking the time and trying to help trouble shoot my issue. Also to the rest of the posters with ideas about what is wrong, thank you. Have a great weekend and ride safe you all.

Kent.
    Good to read it is functioning with new bulbs, but why did 4 lights all fail together?

As you stated weird they all failed at the same time.
    Last edited by PMK; 09-08-2018 at 06:35 AM.

Spyder Garage

Good to know it's fixed. I made the assumption as well. How could 4 bulbs go at about the same time.

That just reinforces my thoughts that going to aftermarket leds for high intensity lights like headlight and fog lights are just not worth the effort and expense. Standard halogens will last about 40,000 miles and you can buy a replacement pair for $25.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I would still do a check of the power and ground circuits. Could be a dirty or intermittent connection that caused all the bulbs to fail at or about the same time. A faulty ground had me replacing the left headlight on my Triumph twice before I started looking deeper
    2015 RT , Black