Thread: fm radio

Spyder Garage

Default fm radio

Hello all!New to Spyder and this forum but sure looks like a lot of great info here!Hope some day to be able to contribute!My Question is,is the antennae on my 18 RT functional or decorative?I have to say that tho the sound is fine the reception of FM stations is a total fail!Compared to the truck or other bike or 20yr old $20 radio from wallyworld the RT gets about maybe,2% of stations.That is,all others 20+ stations,the BRP audio system 2!Just wondering if mine is broke or do others have same issue?Thanks,Len.

Spyder Garage

A common complaint.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I get pretty decent reception from the FM radio but listen to it only locally. The stereo reception isn't that hot but I listen generally to just news and I don't know if the problem is the radio or stations because reception varies amongst stations. I refer the MP3 player on my Zumo on which I've downloaded a bunch of music. I use a headset, not speakers.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default 2018 RT Limited 10 year anniversary

very poor design my 2011 2014 and now 2018 (worst) radio is garbage

Spyder Garage

Have heard some say that BRP LOVES to use thread lock on everything. Perhaps they used it on the antenna so it won't fall off..... or function.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Take the antennae off, and throw it away. Clean out the old Thread Lock and install $10 stubbie. No Thread Lock! You will have better reception and if you

lose it or break it it will cost another $10 not $70 like the original. I have two new originals in the box if anyone is interested.

Uncle Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Thanks all,thanks uncle Jack!I just happen to have a spare antennae!Also,there appears to be no way to tune the radio other than auto presets.Sooo,I get to look at the screen for a couple minutes instead of the road every 50 miles because poor reception makes me look for another channel and I can't just bump the stick!!??That's an accident waiting to happen IMHO.Otherwise the first 300 have been great!Came off a v-rod but I'm liking the spyder!Great ride,tracks well,corners very well,no complaints there!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by woods View Post
    Thanks all,thanks uncle Jack!I just happen to have a spare antennae!Also,there appears to be no way to tune the radio other than auto presets.Sooo,I get to look at the screen for a couple minutes instead of the road every 50 miles because poor reception makes me look for another channel and I can't just bump the stick!!??That's an accident waiting to happen IMHO.Otherwise the first 300 have been great!Came off a v-rod but I'm liking the spyder!Great ride,tracks well,corners very well,no complaints there!
    Long press to the right on the joystick scans up the scale to the next receivable station. Long press left scans down.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Thank you Billy!

Spyder Garage

Another radio question.After I use the unit to say,reset trip meter,how do you go back to the screen that shows rpm and fm station?I get there eventually but always seems more by accident and I can't repeat it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by woods View Post
    Another radio question.After I use the unit to say,reset trip meter,how do you go back to the screen that shows rpm and fm station?I get there eventually but always seems more by accident and I can't repeat it.
    Follow the diagram on the right. In the center is the home symbol. That means a short press center joystick will bring you home or more accurately out of this screen. Then you are back to the menu screen. Short press left will bring you to home, rpm and station.

Trip screen.jpg

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Thanks again!!