Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Just Traded Up to a 2018 RT Ltd

Hi everyone,

My wife and I just traded in our 2012 RT Ltd on a new 2018 RT Ltd. We thoroughly enjoyed our 2012 model, but the many changes and improvements in the new models gave us the itch to up-trade.

At this point we've put about 250 miles on the new RT and the experience has been very satisfying ... and a lot of fun. The 1330 engine and SE6's six gears are, to me, a big improvement over the 998 engine and five speeds in our 2012 model. The 1330 engine is very smooth, quiet, and powerful, and the six-speed transmission with closer gear ratios between shifts is a big improvement as well. Also, I like the way the 1330 engine develops strong power at lower RPMs, allowing much earlier up-shifts than were possible with our 2012 RT.

Also, the steering effort on the new RT is a big improvement over our 2012 model. I am having to re-train my "muscle memory" to avoid over-steering the new RT because the steering effort is so much improved.

So far the "nanny" is telling me we are averaging 47 mpg, which surprised me. I will continue to measure the fuel economy over a longer time frame and mileage, but the 1330 engine is definitely a gas miser compared to our previous 998.

So far my only quibbles are that when using BRP Connect with the Genius Map app, the operator loses the tachometer function on the electronic display. I find myself frequently squeezing the BRP Connect lever on the left hand grip to temporarily hide the GPS screen so the RPM indicator reappears, then squeezing the BRP Connect lever again when I want to bring the GPS screen back.

My only other quibble is that the transmission seems to "slam" into reverse quite loudly. Our 2012 RT did somewhat the same thing, but the "clank" of the new SE6 transmission when shifting into reverse seems louder than I remember on the previous RT. Do other SE6 owners experience the same thing?

All in all, we are thoroughly enjoying our new RT! We're looking forward to many fun miles ahead.
    Last edited by Blake33; 09-13-2018 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
    2018 RT Ltd , Oxford Blue/Chrome