Spyder Garage

Default Repack Front Wheel Bearings...

... if I need to. 2010 RT SM5 32,000 mi. High pitched whine at 35+ mph, sounds like left front. Goes away when at slower speeds. Steady and raises in pitch along with rise in speed. Guessing wheel bearings may be the culprit. I searched and found recommendations to clean the pads and rotor with brake cleaner or water and simple green which I will do- and I checked my RT tech manual to look at the wheel schematic but I don't know what I'm looking at really. I searched YouTube and didn't find anything about Spyders and repacking bearings... but I can now repack the bearings on a 2012 Toyota Camry or a 2000 Dodge truck I'm not a mechanic but I like to learn and do my own work. Any place that has some help for me here?
    Thanks
    Jim

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy66 View Post
    ... if I need to. 2010 RT SM5 32,000 mi. High pitched whine at 35+ mph, sounds like left front. Goes away when at slower speeds. Steady and raises in pitch along with rise in speed. Guessing wheel bearings may be the culprit. I searched and found recommendations to clean the pads and rotor with brake cleaner or water and simple green which I will do- and I checked my RT tech manual to look at the wheel schematic but I don't know what I'm looking at really. I searched YouTube and didn't find anything about Spyders and repacking bearings... but I can now repack the bearings on a 2012 Toyota Camry or a 2000 Dodge truck I'm not a mechanic but I like to learn and do my own work. Any place that has some help for me here?
    Thanks
    Jim
    you might want to check the drive belt to make sure its not running off sided a little. Not that it could be the problem. But I'd check anyway just to make sure. We have a 2011 RT that I thought the bearings were going bad. But the belt was coming apart and the teeth were missing. It was way out of line at 43000 miles and made the same noise you are describing.
    Last edited by Two cats; 09-04-2018 at 01:52 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default No packing needed...

if it is the bearings you just need to replace them. They are sealed bearings and you just need to press them out and new ones in....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Two good suggestions about that whine...

...and I will sure check it out.
    Thanks - Jim

LaMonster Belt Dampener

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    if it is the bearings you just need to replace them. They are sealed bearings and you just need to press them out and new ones in....

Yeah, they are sealed bearings and are only replaceable and not serviceable. There are one each on the front and three in total on the rear. One on each side of the wheel and one on the drive belt carrier. IIRC, you're around the mileage for the recommendations for a rear wheel bearing replacement job. The rear wheel is set up identical to that of many modern motorcycles, so if you're interested in doing the job yourself, you can Youtube it looking at motorcycles repair videos.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

The wheel bearings on a 2012 Toyota Camery are sealed How do you repack them?
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Spyder Garage

Default I was ony kidding...

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Winger View Post
    The wheel bearings on a 2012 Toyota Camery are sealed How do you repack them?
    ..when I said that I knew how to repack those bearings - I had watched a couple of youtube videos just to see how it was done and said I know how to repack them tongue-in-cheek. Just shows I really don't know much about this kind of stuff.

LaMonster Belt Dampener

Spyder Garage

If you have a dry bearing you probly should replace it as said by many of the guy's. That beig said I have seen one of my friends sit down and remove the seal off from a sealed bearing power wash and repack and reinstall the seals and use the bearing for at least a couple more years! He would take out all the bearings in his suspension of his snowmobile every year and do this, thought he was nuts!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    If you have a dry bearing you probly should replace it as said by many of the guy's. That beig said I have seen one of my friends sit down and remove the seal off from a sealed bearing power wash and repack and reinstall the seals and use the bearing for at least a couple more years! He would take out all the bearings in his suspension of his snowmobile every year and do this, thought he was nuts!
    Ironically, in some cases, repacking sealed ball bearings to 100% is a means not only lubricate but keep out the elements. Our Ventana Tandem mountain bike uses sealed ball bearings in all the suspension pivots and cranks. I think it is 18 bearings total. I have had them all out, cleaned and regreased many times. Well worth the effort.