Spyder Garage

Default Running Rough Back Fire Gearing Down

Good Morning:

I have a 2012 Spyder RT SM5 which I purchased new and now has 43.000 miles.

Had problems with it running rough some time back, took it to dealer who said they found some water in fuel system and added something to gas. After that, I had new plugs and wires, from Baja Ron installed, new fuel filter, air filter installed.

Also, I did a evap canister bypass some time back due to gas fumes in my garage.

Ran better for a while, now worse than ever. Runs great a 70, but low speeds it is missing and as stated, backfires using gears to slow down, particularly at low speeds. Had MAP sensor hoses replaced by a BRP tech at Spyderfest about three years ago, it was throwing error codes.

Wondering if the hoses could be bad again? I did not ask, but assumed he replaced them with better quality hoses.
    Anyone have any idea what size tube to use to replace these?

Have about a 700 mile trip soon, and the dealers are backed up at least three weeks, as usual.

Thanks!
    2012 RTS M5 , Baja Ron Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd do two things:
    Give it a healthy dose (two OZ per gallon) of Berryman's B12 Chemtool in the gas.
    If that doesn't make a significant improvement after 50 miles or so, then I'd be checking to be sure that none of the vacuum/vent hoses have come loose.

SeaFoam is NOT an acceptable substitute for a GOOD fuel system cleaner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    I'd do two things:
    Give it a healthy dose (two OZ per gallon) of Berryman's B12 Chemtool in the gas.
    If that doesn't make a significant improvement after 50 miles or so, then I'd be checking to be sure that none of the vacuum/vent hoses have come loose.

SeaFoam is NOT an acceptable substitute for a GOOD fuel system cleaner.

Thanks. Just checked the MAP sensor hoses. They are fine, no cracks, seated well. Will check the other side on the vapor canister side. Other than that, no idea about any other vacuum hoses..
    2012 RTS M5 , Baja Ron Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder2012 View Post
    Good Morning:

I have a 2012 Spyder RT SM5 which I purchased new and now has 43.000 miles.

Had problems with it running rough some time back, took it to dealer who said they found some water in fuel system and added something to gas. After that, I had new plugs and wires, from Baja Ron installed, new fuel filter, air filter installed.

Also, I did a evap canister bypass some time back due to gas fumes in my garage.

Ran better for a while, now worse than ever. Runs great a 70, but low speeds it is missing and as stated, backfires using gears to slow down, particularly at low speeds. Had MAP sensor hoses replaced by a BRP tech at Spyderfest about three years ago, it was throwing error codes.

Wondering if the hoses could be bad again? I did not ask, but assumed he replaced them with better quality hoses.
    Anyone have any idea what size tube to use to replace these?

Have about a 700 mile trip soon, and the dealers are backed up at least three weeks, as usual.

Thanks!

mine bike doing same thing one bottle fuel stabilizer the red one you be gd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mastergee View Post
    mine bike doing same thing one bottle fuel stabilizer the red one you be gd
    BAD advice. Really bad.
    Your typical bottle of fuel cleaner/stabilizer is intended to treat about TWENTY FIVE gallons of fuel, not 5.
    Putting in 5 times the recommended amount is almost guaranteed to make it run bad.......even if it was not before.