Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Rattling side mirror

Hello all:

I have a 2018 F3 Limited. And love it. The left side mirror rattles quite a bit at speeds > 65 mph. Specially so on acceleration when the bike vibrates more. I have my first service at 5000 kms coming this week. I was wondering whether this is something I should ask the dealer to look at. I know how these guys are paid so unless they can make a warranty claim they will most likely say they looked at it and found nothing special. I have found threads from other riders with the same problem and there is a DIY solution. Just wondering whether I should take the time to do it myself or see whether dealer can fix it. Comments / feedback?

Thanks

JBIM
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

Fix it yourself. Replacing parts won't fix it. Do the tape or hot glue method. I did the hot glue stick.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

The DIY solution is not difficult, JBIM......remove the mirror cover, undo the screw holding the mirror assembly in place and implement one of the many solutions.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default you said it

it is under warranty , have them take the mirror off and check the mounting clips , I can bet they bent one of them when assembling the cycle , before it went on the show room floor , it is easy enough to fix , but let the guys at the shop do it ! correctly this time ...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jbim View Post
    Hello all:

I have a 2018 F3 Limited. And love it. The left side mirror rattles quite a bit at speeds > 65 mph. Specially so on acceleration when the bike vibrates more. I have my first service at 5000 kms coming this week. I was wondering whether this is something I should ask the dealer to look at. I know how these guys are paid so unless they can make a warranty claim they will most likely say they looked at it and found nothing special. I have found threads from other riders with the same problem and there is a DIY solution. Just wondering whether I should take the time to do it myself or see whether dealer can fix it. Comments / feedback?

Thanks

JBIM
    Joe Meyer, CptJAM, is in the process of producing a solution. But I don't know when it will be available. He's not home long enough to turn it out.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just wondering whether I should take the time to do it myself or see whether dealer can fix it. Comments / feedback?
    It is practically brand new. And is still under Warranty.
    I don't understand why you would not INSIST that the dealer fix it ??

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Try this post. My F3 is dead silent even on the most bumpy of roads!

>CLICK ME<
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Default Mirror vibe fix

Hello all:

Thanks

JBIM
    I have a 2017 F-3 LTD with 16,000 on it. The mirrors vibrated badly when the bike was new and now they don’t. I fixed the problem with a wedge cut from an old black rubber garden hose. Cut a one inch piece, then use an X-acto knife or a scissor to slice a longitudinal strip just a little bigger than the gap between the mirror and the frame. Press it in using the tip of a screwdriver. The rubber is elastic enough to stay put, the compression steadies the mirror completely, and the wedge is removable and invisible. You can buy a foot of black hose for next to nothing at many hardware stores.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    it is under warranty , have them take the mirror off and check the mounting clips , I can bet they bent one of them when assembling the cycle , before it went on the show room floor , it is easy enough to fix , but let the guys at the shop do it ! correctly this time ...
    Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    I would INSITST that the dealer fix it. Also, have the dealership open up a case with BRP. Use the Warranty.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Fix

Drive the defect back to the factory. Insist the dealer replace the entire assembly. It is a design defect. Once all that is done, PM me. I’m looking for another beta tester. If you can remove the mirror cover, and the dash cover, you can install my fix. I have two happy campers, could use another. I’m hoping to get some more in Oklahoma this week. My plastic company can make plenty; we just have to get costs down. Wish I had a waterjet cutter! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Drive the defect back to the factory. Insist the dealer replace the entire assembly. It is a design defect. Once all that is done, PM me. I’m looking for another beta tester. If you can remove the mirror cover, and the dash cover, you can install my fix. I have two happy campers, could use another. I’m hoping to get some more in Oklahoma this week. My plastic company can make plenty; we just have to get costs down. Wish I had a waterjet cutter! Joe
    I did the mirror mod with a dab of hot glue but my left mirror still vibrates. It's the base mount that has play in it. Right mirror not much better.

Spyder Garage

Do you have a kit to fix loose mirrors on F3L?

Spyder Garage

Default Mirror

I believe I do. Pm me your address, and I’ll send you one to test. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Spyder Garage

Default source of F3L mirror rattles

I'm coming to the point where I now believe there are TWO faults or TWO sources that cause rattling mirrors on our F3L's. I was one of those who first tried the 'quick fix' solution with the double-sided tape. I had issues with both of my mirrors rattling. The tape helped, and both steadied as well as quieted my mirrors. The left one is still solid after several thousand kms of riding; however, the right one (which at first did seem more solid) is now beginning to vibrate again, though it doesn't really rattle. The 'tape fix' has done away with the annoying noise, and is still in place on the right mirror, but there does seem to be a 'looseness' at the base of the right side mirror shell where it attaches to the bike. Need to look into it more. Bottom line: I now believe there are two areas of concern - one where the plastic pins hold the mirror to the shell (they can cause rattle as well as vibrate); two - loose attachment where mirror shell meets body (which, on my Spyder seems to cause more vibration than noise). If I'm right that there are two distinct sources for problems, this may explain why the simple 'tape/glue fix' doesn't always work well for some of us. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by bushrat; 10-07-2018 at 07:57 AM.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    I'm coming to the point where I now believe there are TWO faults or TWO sources that cause rattling mirrors on our F3L's. I was one of those who first tried the 'quick fix' solution with the double-sided tape. I had issues with both of my mirrors rattling. The tape helped, and both steadied as well as quieted my mirrors. The left one is still solid after several thousand kms of riding; however, the right one (which at first did seem more solid) is now beginning to vibrate again, though it doesn't really rattle. The 'tape fix' has done away with the annoying noise, and is still in place on the right mirror, but there does seem to be a 'looseness' at the base of the right side mirror shell where it attaches to the bike. Need to look into it more. Bottom line: I now believe there are two areas of concern - one where the plastic pins hold the mirror to the shell (they can cause rattle as well as vibrate); two - loose attachment where mirror shell meets body (which, on my Spyder seems to cause more vibration than noise). If I'm right that there are two distinct sources for problems, this may explain why the simple 'tape/glue fix' doesn't always work well for some of us. Just my 2 cents.
    Your right. The spring loaded pins-clips at the base rattle for me. I did the mirror pins by dabbing the hot glue method but didn't help much.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i used silicone for mine

Spyder Garage

Default mirror loose

Guys, my left mirror on my new 2018 F3 Limited rattled and vibrated. I found a quick fix to my problem, and it could be all that is wrong with yours! I eased the mirror cover off, and was about to take the screw out of the end of the mirror, when i discovered the end screw wasn't completely tight. I just moved the mirror in the slot until it was up to the end of the slot, and tighten screw, problem solved, no more vibration or rattling! That may be all you need, check and see! Hope this is helpful to some of you!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by south GA Farm Boy View Post
    Guys, my left mirror on my new 2018 F3 Limited rattled and vibrated. I found a quick fix to my problem, and it could be all that is wrong with yours! I eased the mirror cover off, and was about to take the screw out of the end of the mirror, when i discovered the end screw wasn't completely tight. I just moved the mirror in the slot until it was up to the end of the slot, and tighten screw, problem solved, no more vibration or rattling! That may be all you need, check and see! Hope this is helpful to some of you!
    Joe Meyer from squared away has a Wedgie mirror fix. It tightens up the whole mirror housing.

Spyder Garage

I just did the double sided tape method today on my 2018 F3 L. Took about 20 minutes and the mirrors are now rock steady.

Spyder Garage

Double sided stick tape. Easy fix! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    Joe Meyer from squared away has a Wedgie mirror fix. It tightens up the whole mirror housing.
    I also did the "Squared Away, Joe" fix with the Wedgie......did both my wife's 2016 F3-T and my 2017 F3-L. Both are solid now and we are are very pleased with the easy and inexpensive fix ($20). Took me about 15 minutes per bike and I was done.

O. J.
    Ridin' "Lucille", the MusicMaker
    a 2017 F3 Limited (Pure Magnesium Metallic)
    Wife, Jan, riding "Ruby Jane"
    a 2016 F3-T (Intense Red Pearl)
    2017 F3-Limited , Magnesium (light grey)

Spyder Garage

Default Wedgie

We tried all the fixes mentioned above. Many worked at first. We ride to all the events we attend. Each time, a few hundred miles into the trip, they stopped working. It drove her crazy!
    We decided to get serious about fixing this problem. We tried bolts, we tried magnets, we tried rubber hose, and then settled on a wedge would fix it. We tried drilling a hole to insert a screw to hold the wedge in. Ann was not thrilled with that idea. So, we kept that idea, and played with a bunch of shapes and sizes. Once we had a solution, we put some on friends bikes. They were thrilled it worked so well! I thought we were done. Our friend MurphyBrown got a set, then rode 1300 miles. At each stop, she said they were great! In Texas, she named them Wedgies on Facebook. Cruzer Joe wanted a set, so we fixed him up. He loved it! We sold out in a morning! Apparently, it is more common than not. So, we got home Tuesday, and Wednesday I got more HDPE, and will make enough for the dozens of orders we have! If you have an F3T or F3Limited, and you want solid mirrors, send a pm, email or give us a call. We can Square you Away with a set of Wedgies!
    Joe Meyer

Spyder Garage

We can Square you Away with a set of Wedgies!
    I found a permanent fix too, Joe. A set of Lamont’s Billy Cub bars and some Puig bar mirrors....... may be a little more expensive than your solution though

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Question Why not use your warranty ?

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post

I agree, I had to insist three times that the dealer fix it and fix it right! They got it right for about 3K miles and now it is starting to get loose again. It will be going back until they get it right!