Spyder Garage

Default Has anyone ever replaced the fuel pump DIY?

I'm getting sick and tired of the annoying fuel pump noise. It comes and goes, sometimes suttle and sometimes very loud and embarrasing. Dealer won't warranty it; says it will not cause any problem. Well, it's a problem when it gets on my nerves. Just wondered if anyone ever replaced it themselves? How difficult is it, and how much was the part?
    Thanks for any help or suggestions on this.
    Mark in GA

2014 Cognac Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
    2014 Cognac RT-622 Trailer - SOLD
    2014 RT Limited , Stock Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default never done it.

I have never done it but it would take about 3 or 4 hours by my guess. Pricey item $479.99 USD. Item 42 below.

fuel sys 2.jpg

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I agree. Ours sometimes sounds like a turbine engine and other times is not noticed. Overall, the exhaust does overpower the whine.

A while back I researched swapping it out. No plans to install an oem pump, probably go with a remote mounted setup. Not sure what brand is in there as oem but suspect it's a Walbro. Pressures seem pretty basic, same as a car. Downside of going aftermarket is I still need to remove the oem pump, or bypass it while leaving it in the tank. This will allow an unrestricted fuel flow into the new pumps inlet.

FWIW, if you do go inside the tank with an aftermarket product, most likely a Walbro will fit and is far less money, however you should replace the top gasket and expect to retain the oem low level sensor.

Spyder Garage

Several years ago my dealer replaced mine under warranty. No more noise. They had told me BRP wouldn't do anything. It was working just noisy. I complained and found another dealer that said he had replaced several because of noise under warranty. I went back to my dealer and told them that and if they wouldn't do it I was going to drive to the other dealer. They relented and replaced it no charge.

Stan
    Happy owner of 2014 White RTS - SE6

Spyder Garage

My Spyder was one of the early '14s that has a noisy fuel pump that I hear only at idle; at any other speed engine noise greatly overshadows fuel pump noise. For the $479 price of the fuel pump module, no discount noted at Cheap Cycle Parts, plus the cost of time/labor, and since I wear ear plugs the pump can whine away. Much ado about nothing. JMO.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Possible replacement

I know when I used to follow the Can-am ATV forums several members over there found replacement pumps that would fit their ATV's in place of the factory pumps for a fraction of the costs...(how was that for a run on sentence???)

I sure if someone took the time to search this out a replacement could be found...

BTW, My 2014 RTS fuel pump sounds like a jet engine most of the time and when it quits I'll fix it...I'll put that on my next "to do list" right after my second air compressor replacement...

larryd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Good info

Here is the link to the aftermarket fuel pump for the spyders. https://www.highflowfuel.com/i-23898...709000370.html
    It fits all spyders 2008 to present.

Now... As far as replacing it... I attempted it and I am very mechanically able. I will not try it again unless my pump fails. You will need to remove the tank completely and that is not an easy task. I tried to remove the sending unit/pump assembly with the tank still in the trike, but it will not fit past the frame. Re-installing it back into the tank is a HUGE headache! I struggled for probably 2 hours trying to get the O-ring to seat properly. Then you have to figure out how to hold the assembly into the tank while you replace the snap ring. After I got mine put back together, I added a little Marvel Mystery Oil to my fuel for one tank full and my pump has been quiet ever since. MUCH easier than trying to replace the pump!!!
    Last edited by Joel The Biker; 08-30-2018 at 09:27 AM.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    Here is the link to the aftermarket fuel pump for the spyders. https://www.highflowfuel.com/i-23898...709000370.html
    It fits all spyders 2008 to present.

Now... As far as replacing it... I attempted it and I am very mechanically able. I will not try it again unless my pump fails. You will need to remove the tank completely and that is not an easy task. I tried to remove the sending unit/pump assembly with the tank still in the trike, but it will not fit past the frame. Re-installing it back into the tank is a HUGE headache! I struggled for probably 2 hours trying to get the O-ring to seat properly. Then you have to figure out how to hold the assembly into the tank while you replace the snap ring. After I got mine put back together, I added a little Marvel Mystery Oil to my fuel for one tank full and my pump has been quiet ever since. MUCH easier than trying to replace the pump!!!
    I have Marvel Mystery Oil in stock...I will try your fix...THANK YOU for the link to a replacement pump...