Thread: 14 RT issues

Spyder Garage

Default 14 RT issues

Looking at a 14 RT with trailer and all low miles under 8k miles, wonder if there's anything to be wary of on those ? seller has health issues so he's selling it and I just sold my 12RT. anybody else had issues with that first year of the 1330? tired of the heat issues with my 12 not to mention the poor gas mileage...
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Only issue I had was the DESS issue and other than that has been trouble free for me on my 14 RT.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AbNormy View Post
    Looking at a 14 RT with trailer and all low miles under 8k miles, wonder if there's anything to be wary of on those ? seller has health issues so he's selling it and I just sold my 12RT. anybody else had issues with that first year of the 1330? tired of the heat issues with my 12 not to mention the poor gas mileage...
    No issues with mine. Go for it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 2014 issues

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Only issue I had was the DESS issue and other than that has been trouble free for me on my 14 RT.
    ..... there were only a couple of other re-occurring issue but they were widespread ....The DESS thing can be PRO_actively addressed ..... take the FRUNK off ... right above the battery on the left ( as you face the Spyder ) is a small black plastic box ( cig pack size but thinner ) un-bolt it, cut all the wire ties for the cables .... un-plug them ..... the two mounting holes on the module ...use them to make new holes in the plastic apron under the right headlight ..... put the module ...bottom side up under the headlite with 1/4-20 bolts x 1 1/2in. ( maybe less I can't remember ) before you re-bolt it plug the cables back in .... The module can be had for about $130.00 ( ie. cheapcycleparts ) or less from other suppliers..... If you get the ORANGS screen of DEATH .... you can easily un-plug the bolted one and plug in the new one and just leave it un-till it's convenient to fully attach .... ( like if it's dark and raining etc. ) to so this you don't even need tools ... a flashlite will help but not necessary ........hope this calms your concerns ...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I have 14 RTS SE6

I've had a multitude of problems with mine and the only saving grace was that a nearby dealer had a BRP spyder authorized tech in his employment. For months my spyder was in and out of the shop all for minor issues that for the most part have all been resolved. However, the final issue BRP refused to correct. I purchased the longest term extended warrantee on the market that I could find as an insurance policy for peace of mind. Not all 14 RTS models have had the issues like mine has had, but, with only 8k you may still have a ways to go to shake out all the bugs. If the bike does not come with a transferable extended warrantee you may wish to reconsider, unless the selling price is so good you just can't pass it up. I wish you good luck in whatever you choose to do, and by the way; you are on the right site to find the solutions to whatever problems may arise if you decide to make the purchase.

Spyder Garage

Default What was the 2012?

Which 2012 did you have ? I have the r-t. S- M 5. Only had 2things problemitic and I fixed those myself , gas milage ? I will not complain at all , rode around 200 miles last Saturday , a tank and about 1/4. Of gas used ..I was wondering if the s-e edition was not so good on gas ...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    Which 2012 did you have ? I have the r-t. S- M 5. Only had 2things problemitic and I fixed those myself , gas milage ? I will not complain at all , rode around 200 miles last Saturday , a tank and about 1/4. Of gas used ..I was wondering if the s-e edition was not so good on gas ...
    My GF has a 2012 RT SM-5 and I have a 2013 RT SE-5. We both filled up before heading out on a ride and filled up when we returned. I used just a little more gas than she did, but I also outweigh her.

Spyder Garage

32,000 miles and counting on my 2014 RT-S. No major issues.

You can get the service record from the dealer with a VIN. Check to make sure yours is good.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I, too, bought a used 2014 RTL with an RT622 trailer that had 8K miles. The problems I had with it were only items that had to do with inadequate dealer prepping and lousey OEM tires. Before I bought this bike I researched and knew what I wanted. I then purchased an extended BEST warranty to ease my mind. I paid just about 1/2 the cost of what the total new price was for the bike and trailer. I don't think there are any inherent problems one might associate with a "new" engine and transmission. No major corrections needed for newer models. Go for it.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default mileage and heat

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    I average about 25mpg around town and tooling around with my weekend riding buddies probably about the same, maybe less since we're usually hauling...but 125 mile range in west texas is not something I felt comfortable with. and the everpresent heat really bugs me especially since it blows on my only 'real' foot since im an amputee left AK. Rumble on offered me more than any dealer had so Im letting them have it. Really disappointed with my resale value on my 12.
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

Except for a parking brake motor failure replaced under warranty no problems in 46K miles other than the OEM tires.

Edit. There was an issue with some ignition keys on early '14 RTs, don't remember what it was about, not the DESS problem. Anyway, With my set of keys there was a small plastic tag with a number that identified the keys. The dealer ran that number through their computer system to see if it was amongst the problem bunch and it was not. If the seller has that tag with the keys you could have a dealer check it.
    Last edited by JayBros; 08-30-2018 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Additional info.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

The only problem is that less then 1/2 the 2014 RT were fixed by replacing the module.
    In the majority of cases it took replacement of both the module AND the ignition switch!

Additionally, many of the REPORTED problems occurred right around the 9K mile point (if memory serves me). It also seems to be more likely on the early to middle of the run machines.

AJ
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ..... there were only a couple of other re-occurring issue but they were widespread ....The DESS thing can be PRO_actively addressed ..... take the FRUNK off ... right above the battery on the left ( as you face the Spyder ) is a small black plastic box ( cig pack size but thinner ) un-bolt it, cut all the wire ties for the cables .... un-plug them ..... the two mounting holes on the module ...use them to make new holes in the plastic apron under the right headlight ..... put the module ...bottom side up under the headlite with 1/4-20 bolts x 1 1/2in. ( maybe less I can't remember ) before you re-bolt it plug the cables back in .... The module can be had for about $130.00 ( ie. cheapcycleparts ) or less from other suppliers..... If you get the ORANGS screen of DEATH .... you can easily un-plug the bolted one and plug in the new one and just leave it un-till it's convenient to fully attach .... ( like if it's dark and raining etc. ) to so this you don't even need tools ... a flashlite will help but not necessary ........hope this calms your concerns ...... Mike

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Default I would go for it...

seems they have covered all the issues but as you can imagine they are few and all fixable if you should even have any. Looks like a great unit and well cared for. So as I said ....I would go for it....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default No issues

Hi, we had a 2012 RT Limited and traded it for our 2014 Rt Limited. We just achieved 50,000 miles of smiles on it going to Spyder Rendezvous.

No issues, love the bike, it's been a great bike. ZERO oil consumption/leaks (my 2012 did leak and use some oil). Great gas mileage.

Good luck on your choice.

By the way, my wife took the picture of the 50,000 odometer reading as she was the passenger as I leaned over so she could take the shot......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 08-29-2018 at 10:10 PM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Go for it!

Norm,
    our 14 RT was nearly perfect. Sold it with 123,000 miles on it. Great machine. No worries! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Another happy 2014 RT owner here. Some minor issues, but nothing of note. As far as I'm concerned, it's a massive upgrade.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Go For It...

Quote Originally Posted by AbNormy View Post

I personally don't own one but do a lot of routine maintenance and repairs on quite a few 1330 Spyders in my neck of the woods. The 2014 Spyder (and pretty much all Spyder variants) is a very solid platform... It's not that bad to work on and aside from the DESS issue (that's rather hit and miss) most of the people I know who ride them LOVE THEM. There's a plethora of YouTube support videos to help a Spyder newbie and veteran alike out to reduce the learning curve of learning all things Spyder.

As a general rule I haven't experienced much more than routine repairs and upgrades and the dreaded orange screen of death. I have seen some castrophic failures of powertrain components and such things as rear bearings disintegrating but those were very suspect of being the result of people who didn't know what they were doing and just jumping blindly into working on the bikes. The fuel mileage concern is something I've found more to be the direct result of the increased angle of your right wrist haha and load carried etc etc... Nobody I know with the 1330 has mentioned concern over fuel mileage. I do notice less need for down shifting with the 1330 and find servicing the engine is great too. I do find that the FARKLE's for the platform are rather expensive but there's plenty to choose from. At the end of the day though I can say with all confidence that the 2014 Spyder is a solid, well built, comfortable and reliable ride that you can't help but enjoy.
    Last edited by gmctech; 08-30-2018 at 09:23 AM.
    “The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”― George Carlin

Spyder Garage

Default Dealer prep??

Other than poor job on dealer prep------ My -14 Circuit Yellow RTS has been great. Not babied at all.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Norm,
    our 14 RT was nearly perfect. Sold it with 123,000 miles on it. Great machine. No worries! Joe
    Mine was a manual though not a semi auto

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default 14 RT ISSUE

Have over 39,000 miles on my 2014 RT-L. Only problem I had was my crank shaft senser went bad, part plus labor cost me about $150.

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My 2014 RT has been a "Perfect Lady" since the day I bought her. Bought her new.
    I really do ....
    Ride in comfort.