Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Power Steering / DPS

I have a 2014 RTS. over 20,000 miles. When I first bought the spyder the steering was ok , but not much to brag about. I raised the question on this site but got no responses. I asked BRP if it could be reprogrammed in the computer or updated. Answer - No. Now the power steering is so hard to turn that it is impossible to turn in some situations - parking lots and where things are tight.

I was in the shop today for a safety inspection to get my tag renewed here in NC. I ask then to check the steering and was told it was working as standard. Nothing wrong. I kept pushing for another answer and was finally told that BRP had so many units to burn out that they had dealers deprogram them so they would not have any power steering until the unit was moving. So instead of getting the units fixed or a newer/better unit, they just deprogrammed them. If that is true, shame on BRP.

Does anybody have any other information, suggestions, or opinions about this. I know newer Spyders have an easier power steering but still not when sitting still with the motor running. I was told a new unit installed would be in the $800 dollar range. I feel I had smoke blown up my skit or a lot of BS.

Information, comments, or suggestions please.
    Stan
    Happy owner of 2014 White RTS - SE6

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DPS ISSUE

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjuice View Post
    I have a 2014 RTS. over 20,000 miles. When I first bought the spyder the steering was ok , but not much to brag about. I raised the question on this site but got no responses. I asked BRP if it could be reprogrammed in the computer or updated. Answer - No. Now the power steering is so hard to turn that it is impossible to turn in some situations - parking lots and where things are tight.

I was in the shop today for a safety inspection to get my tag renewed here in NC. I ask then to check the steering and was told it was working as standard. Nothing wrong. I kept pushing for another answer and was finally told that BRP had so many units to burn out that they had dealers deprogram them so they would not have any power steering until the unit was moving. So instead of getting the units fixed or a newer/better unit, they just deprogrammed them. If that is true, shame on BRP.

Does anybody have any other information, suggestions, or opinions about this. I know newer Spyders have an easier power steering but still not when sitting still with the motor running. I was told a new unit installed would be in the $800 dollar range. I feel I had smoke blown up my skit or a lot of BS.

Information, comments, or suggestions please.
    Stan
    You've been told a lot of " HOOEY " ( ie. BS )........ NO Spyder ever made had easy steering when at rest .....the system isn't designed to give that type power ....you can't compare it to a reg. car or trk ...they are designed differently...... If you purchase that $800.00 part ...You won't notice any difference, However they will TELL you it's much better ....... a lot of Stealers su*k .............jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Air

The lower you run your air pressure on the front tire the harder it will steer off of stopped (low speed) voice of experience.

Spyder Garage

Default Re hard steering when stopped

Yes I concur with with these answers ride on be happy😁

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

The DPS is electically operated and only functions once rolling and with the engine running. They also only operate in slow conditions to assist in traffic and other tight manuvers. As mentioned the tire pressure and design has a lot to do with the heaviness in stopped positions. These units either work or they don't and you would know if it is not when your rying it...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    The DPS is electically operated and only functions once rolling and with the engine running. They also only operate in slow conditions to assist in traffic and other tight manuvers. As mentioned the tire pressure and design has a lot to do with the heaviness in stopped positions. These units either work or they don't and you would know if it is not when your rying it...

He told us this: Now the power steering is so hard to turn that it is impossible to turn in some situations - parking lots and where things are tight.

Which, to my reading of it, suggests that it don't work, using your description.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

i recently rode a 2019 F3 with steering issues and it had huge DPS input from idle...not even rolling(well maybe just)
    it is so light that i blame it for the hunting the bike does under way
    set toe in to 3.3mm and fronts down to 16psi and slightly better ride but steering is still light as
    my 2016 is nowhere near as light

russ
    pres ride
    2014 RT-S
    bike is WIP
    bike has endured elect spike (was jump started incorrectly)
    still a WIP but bike is now running and registered....swapped out 5 modules mostly sourced from Canadian wrecker