Spyder Garage

Default Power Steering / DPS

I have a 2014 RTS. over 20,000 miles. When I first bought the spyder the steering was ok , but not much to brag about. I raised the question on this site but got no responses. I asked BRP if it could be reprogrammed in the computer or updated. Answer - No. Now the power steering is so hard to turn that it is impossible to turn in some situations - parking lots and where things are tight.

I was in the shop today for a safety inspection to get my tag renewed here in NC. I ask then to check the steering and was told it was working as standard. Nothing wrong. I kept pushing for another answer and was finally told that BRP had so many units to burn out that they had dealers deprogram them so they would not have any power steering until the unit was moving. So instead of getting the units fixed or a newer/better unit, they just deprogrammed them. If that is true, shame on BRP.

Does anybody have any other information, suggestions, or opinions about this. I know newer Spyders have an easier power steering but still not when sitting still with the motor running. I was told a new unit installed would be in the $800 dollar range. I feel I had smoke blown up my skit or a lot of BS.

Information, comments, or suggestions please.
    Stan
    Happy owner of 2014 White RTS - SE6

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DPS ISSUE

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjuice View Post
    I have a 2014 RTS. over 20,000 miles. When I first bought the spyder the steering was ok , but not much to brag about. I raised the question on this site but got no responses. I asked BRP if it could be reprogrammed in the computer or updated. Answer - No. Now the power steering is so hard to turn that it is impossible to turn in some situations - parking lots and where things are tight.

I was in the shop today for a safety inspection to get my tag renewed here in NC. I ask then to check the steering and was told it was working as standard. Nothing wrong. I kept pushing for another answer and was finally told that BRP had so many units to burn out that they had dealers deprogram them so they would not have any power steering until the unit was moving. So instead of getting the units fixed or a newer/better unit, they just deprogrammed them. If that is true, shame on BRP.

Does anybody have any other information, suggestions, or opinions about this. I know newer Spyders have an easier power steering but still not when sitting still with the motor running. I was told a new unit installed would be in the $800 dollar range. I feel I had smoke blown up my skit or a lot of BS.

Information, comments, or suggestions please.
    Stan
    You've been told a lot of " HOOEY " ( ie. BS )........ NO Spyder ever made had easy steering when at rest .....the system isn't designed to give that type power ....you can't compare it to a reg. car or trk ...they are designed differently...... If you purchase that $800.00 part ...You won't notice any difference, However they will TELL you it's much better ....... a lot of Stealers su*k .............jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Air

The lower you run your air pressure on the front tire the harder it will steer off of stopped (low speed) voice of experience.

Spyder Garage

Default Re hard steering when stopped

Yes I concur with with these answers ride on be happy😁

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

The DPS is electically operated and only functions once rolling and with the engine running. They also only operate in slow conditions to assist in traffic and other tight manuvers. As mentioned the tire pressure and design has a lot to do with the heaviness in stopped positions. These units either work or they don't and you would know if it is not when your rying it...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    The DPS is electically operated and only functions once rolling and with the engine running. They also only operate in slow conditions to assist in traffic and other tight manuvers. As mentioned the tire pressure and design has a lot to do with the heaviness in stopped positions. These units either work or they don't and you would know if it is not when your rying it...

He told us this: Now the power steering is so hard to turn that it is impossible to turn in some situations - parking lots and where things are tight.

Which, to my reading of it, suggests that it don't work, using your description.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DPS ISSUE

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    He told us this: Now the power steering is so hard to turn that it is impossible to turn in some situations - parking lots and where things are tight.

Which, to my reading of it, suggests that it don't work, using your description.
    IMHO, the DPS unit either works or doesn't - period ..... It's not like warped rotors, they can a little warped or very warped...... However - WORDS do matter ...and we might NOT have enough of them from the OP ...... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-30-2018 at 03:47 AM.

Spyder Garage

Others that have had similar issues found that the electrical connections at the battery or high load wires were compromised, and also, even a degrading or low quality battery could hinder steering operation.

Possibly your steering unit has failed or has concerns, but I would clean those battery terminals as a first step. Also consider, can you hear a strain or squealing from the alternator when loading the steering? Try adding a slight amount of throttle to bring up the alternator output also. After that, as a test, inflate the front tires to say 24 psi and verify if the symptoms persist.

Remember though, as others mentioned, the steering is far easier if the vehicle can roll even slighly while turning.

Spyder Garage

PMK, how could the alternator produce a noise when loading the steering?
    Last edited by Freddy; 08-30-2018 at 03:31 AM.

Spyder Garage

PMK, how could the alternator produce a noise when loading the steering?
    A while back, Doc Humphreys I think it was, posted a video of a squealing noise that occurred while adding steering input while not rolling.

As I understand it, per what Kenny Butler explained, there is a slip coupling on the alternator. Under exteme loads it may slip or squeal.

My guess is, like on aircraft with non drive belt alternators or generators, if the alternator were to fail, not electrically fail, but rather mechanically fail, the coupling lessens or prevents damage to the alternator drive system. With a belt driven alternator, the belt fails. On gear driven alternators, the coupling is the failsafe.
    Last edited by PMK; 08-30-2018 at 05:25 AM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks PMK Wow - I'd like to see that video if someone can locate it. Failsafe coupling on a Spyder eh?

Spyder Garage

Thanks PMK Wow - I'd like to see that video if someone can locate it. Failsafe coupling on a Spyder eh?
    Correction, Robert Kelm posted the video, however Doc did comment of the same issue, even after warranty replacement of the steering unit. Replaced for noise I believe, not difficult steering.

The video is from July 17, 2017 on the Spyder technical FB group. You can hear the chirping as the bars are turned and vehicle is not rolling. KB explained more about it there.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A hook up to BUDS would tell you if the system is operating.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default DPS

There is a link in response in #14 that the late 17 and all 18's have a new DPS unit that does allow for steering at standstill and more help at low speeds. I wrote to BRP Care and ask if the new unit would fit and work on my 2014 RTS. Their response after two replies is go see your dealer. I've done that and no help. I ask BRP care to answer the question - does the new unit work with my 2014. They won't answer that and only say see your dealer.

Does anyone here know the answer?

Stan
    Happy owner of 2014 White RTS - SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjuice View Post
    There is a link in response in #14 that the late 17 and all 18's have a new DPS unit that does allow for steering at standstill and more help at low speeds. I wrote to BRP Care and ask if the new unit would fit and work on my 2014 RTS. Their response after two replies is go see your dealer. I've done that and no help. I ask BRP care to answer the question - does the new unit work with my 2014. They won't answer that and only say see your dealer.

Does anyone here know the answer?

Stan
    If someone has the schematic from both years may be able to answer it, my new 2018 is having issues since day one.
    Having it looked at tomorrow.
    Most likely its controlled by the ECM even more on the newer models.
    My code is new for 2017 and up, P1F05

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...code-P1F05-DPS
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Spyders of this time did not have alternators, they had a magneto, which is the same as an alternator except it runs directly from a gear and is part of the engine. If ya want to do a quick check to find out if the DPS is working, just lift the seat and there is a fuse box there and I believe there is a fuse there for the DPS pull it and see if it gets harder to steer. Also make sure you keep the joints lined. I have a 2008 GS that I have owned from new and it works as stated and all you have to do is get it rolling just a little and it gets much easier. You should be glad you werent around when these things were new all kinds of DPS problems... like just riding and suddenly it decides to make a hard right or left turn.
    .. those were adventures....lol

Spyder Garage

i recently rode a 2019 F3 with steering issues and it had huge DPS input from idle...not even rolling(well maybe just)
    it is so light that i blame it for the hunting the bike does under way
    set toe in to 3.3mm and fronts down to 16psi and slightly better ride but steering is still light as
    my 2016 is nowhere near as light

russ
    pres ride
    2014 RT-S
    bike is WIP
    bike has endured elect spike (was jump started incorrectly)
    still a WIP but bike is now running and registered....swapped out 5 modules mostly sourced from Canadian wrecker