Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member

Spyder Garage

Default New Member

Hi folks. After retiring in February I decided I wanted to ride my own scoot. I have been a passenger for over 30 years. I took the NJ Riders course for trikes and learned on a brand new Ca Am. Sooo therefore I looked for a Can Am I could afford. After searching we found a one owner 2014 Can Am Spyder STS SE5 with a few add ons. It has Can Am hard bags and heated grips and an Ultimate seat with back rests. Meticulously maintained. I am a happy camper! Looking forward to being on the road. I have no manual and only one key so I will be asking questions as they come up.

Spyder Garage

WELCOME!!

Spyder Garage

Welcome! You're going to have fun. Since you have no manual, go to this link and drill down in MY 2014 to the ST manual, download it and safe on your computer. http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/I...adster&type=og. Next, go to this link, bookmark it and read the Do's and Do Nots. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

There are plenty of follks who will help you easily become a Spyder fanatic. Good Luck!!!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Congrats and Welcome! +1 What they said too!
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What’s that saying, unless you’re the leader the view never changes. Get ready for some amazing views from the front!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default link for manual

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Welcome! You're going to have fun. Since you have no manual, go to this link and drill down in MY 2014 to the ST manual, download it and safe on your computer. http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/I...adster&type=og. Next, go to this link, bookmark it and read the Do's and Do Nots. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

There are plenty of follks who will help you easily become a Spyder fanatic. Good Luck!!!
    Thanks for the link for the manual!

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome to the bunch

Glad you found us
    Ride safe and enjoy
    Dsve

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWoman18 View Post
    Hi folks. After retiring in February I decided I wanted to ride my own scoot. I have been a passenger for over 30 years. I took the NJ Riders course for trikes and learned on a brand new Ca Am. Sooo therefore I looked for a Can Am I could afford. After searching we found a one owner 2014 Can Am Spyder STS SE5 with a few add ons. It has Can Am hard bags and heated grips and an Ultimate seat with back rests. Meticulously maintained. I am a happy camper! Looking forward to being on the road. I have no manual and only one key so I will be asking questions as they come up.

Spyder Garage

and on your new ryde.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Spydering!
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Default Gates?

‘Welcome aboard. Any chance you bought that from Rachael Gates? If so, nice machine!
    Good Luck, have fun.
    😎🕷

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NEWBIE -YEA

& ...............Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred View Post
    ‘Welcome aboard. Any chance you bought that from Rachael Gates? If so, nice machine!
    Good Luck, have fun.
    😎🕷
    No it was not from her. Got it from a dealership. This lady bought it from the dealer and then traded it in for another bike. Bought it in Hanover PA at Motosports. It had just been serviced too.

Spyder Garage

Welcome! Glad you found us!

There's a big Spyder rally going on next week in Lake George; any chance you'd be able to come up?
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    Welcome! Glad you found us!

There's a big Spyder rally going on next week in Lake George; any chance you'd be able to come up?
    Sorry I will not be attending that one.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Welcome!&lt;img src="images/smilies/pepper2.gif" border="0" alt="" title="yes!" smilieid="43" class="inlineimg"&gt; You're going to have fun. Since you have no manual, go to this link and drill down in MY 2014 to the ST manual, download it and safe on your computer. &lt;a href="http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/Index.aspx?lang=e&amp;amp;s1=88365b4a-27ca-40fd-b7a8-778fe643e33a&amp;amp;brands=roadster&amp;amp;type= og" target="_blank"&gt;http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/I...e=og&lt;/a&gt;. Next, go to this link, bookmark it and read the Do's and Do Nots. &lt;a href="http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners" target="_blank"&gt;http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners&lt;/a&gt;&lt;br&gt;<br>
    &lt;br&gt;<br>

Yes, welcome! The 2 points above cannot be stressed enough. Save yourself much trouble and embarrassment; read the Owners Manual 3 or 4 times and bookmark & study the "Do's and Don'ts" thread the same number of times. Your life with a Spyder will be much more enjoyable .
    Last edited by Docster; 08-29-2018 at 07:14 PM.
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome, welcome 👍

Welcome to the spyder world and this most informative site congrats on your new ryde and I might add a great choice. folks here will be more than happy to help you with all your questions.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Congrats and Welcome
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

Welcome to this wonderful group.
    Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Default Congrats!

Congrats on your new ride. I have the same style - less the ultimate seat. Enjoy your new ride!
    2014 ST SE5 LT , Black Current

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Docster View Post
    Yes, welcome! The 2 points above cannot be stressed enough. Save yourself much trouble and embarrassment; read the Owners Manual 3 or 4 times and bookmark & study the "Do's and Don'ts" thread the same number of times. Your life with a Spyder will be much more enjoyable .
    Love your avatar! I did not have a manual since it is a used bike (2014) I would like to know at what RPM I should be shifting? Rode it first time today on back roads. I was shifting around 3200 rpm. Trying to get the manual and my second key from the previous owner through the dealer that sold it to me.
    My first ride today was amazing!
    2014 Can Am Spyder STS SE5
    Ultimate seats with backrests
    Can Am hard saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Love your avatar! I did not have a manual since it is a used bike (2014) I would like to know at what RPM I should be shifting? Rode it first time today on back roads. I was shifting around 3200 rpm. Trying to get the manual and my second key from the previous owner through the dealer that sold it to me.
    The ST is a two cylinder. Your shift points and engine operation should be around 5500 rpm. The rotax likes HIGH revs. Your redline is around 9,500. Don't use all the gears unless you are riding at 60 mph or higher. I drove 50 miles of Hana Hwy on Maui HI all in first gear. Speed limits 25 or less.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your spyder and to the spyder web. Dale

Spyder Garage

What Docster and AKspyderman both just said.Keep the revs up and you will be fine. The first section of Spyder Do's and don't refers to the 998 V Twin engine.That is your engine. Once the 3 cylinder 1330 (2014) come out the V twin stuff gets thinner.
    Revs I shift between 5000 and 6000 and I usually run from 4000 to 5000. I don't get into 4th until around 60 mph and 5th gear at 70. I get around 29-31mph running this way.

They have given you a good reference to the owner's manual. Read it a lot. It will teach how to change your own oil and other things you can do your self. Even if you don't want to do yourself you might want to try it just once. There is also a good section on how to ride your Spyder.

of the new Spyder. Post early,post often and post pictures. We don't have near enough post/pictures about new riders rides and impressions as their experience changes.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default New Member

Hi
    Last edited by Putski; 09-01-2018 at 04:59 PM.