Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by CJ.RamMan View Post
    I didn't ask anything about pressure. I asked about size considering most manufacturers do not offer tires in the size 165/55r15. I see people talk about their Yokohama, Kumho, Federal, etc I am asking the SIZE of the tires. I have read enough about tire pressure I have my own opinion of what I wish to try when I do get a set of car tires for my Spyder.
    CJ,

The post was most certainly not directed at you ( or anyone in particular ) Just a bit of sarcasm ( I admit, it's the lowest form of humor). It was aimed at the recent tire threads related to pressure ( recently removed by site administration).

BTW:

I happily run a General Tire Altimax RT43 in the 215/60r15 for the rear tire. It works fine. It has twice the mileage of the original Kenda and still looks good. And there will be no mention of tire pressure.

Lew L
    Last edited by Lew L; 08-29-2018 at 11:05 AM.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If you posted this in response to my use of washers ........the Basic and the New style fenders are different. There is No excess fender bolt length ( 1/4 in. or otherwise ) to snip off, ( on any part of a Basic fender ) that would solve the problem ....... Mike
    I don't think I previously posted about your washers...... But, maybe I did. I don't have any experience with any fenders except the ones that I own so I don't know new style from old. When I pulled the front wheels off to have my 175/55R15 tires installed, the fender bolts looked menacing and extra long. If the wider tires were to rub, the first thing they would have hit was those bolt ends. So I just pulled them out, one by one, and snipped a quarter inch off with a bolt cutter. Maybe they wouldn't have rubbed but for sure they don't now.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Fender bolts

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I don't think I previously posted about your washers...... But, maybe I did. I don't have any experience with any fenders except the ones that I own so I don't know new style from old. When I pulled the front wheels off to have my 175/55R15 tires installed, the fender bolts looked menacing and extra long. If the wider tires were to rub, the first thing they would have hit was those bolt ends. So I just pulled them out, one by one, and snipped a quarter inch off with a bolt cutter. Maybe they wouldn't have rubbed but for sure they don't now.
    Well now that have more info about this ..... YOU have the NEW style fenders, and what you did with your bolts was what others have done to theirs ....... My post about My washers for informational purposes only - no hidden agenda - My post was just before your post so I thought you were referencing it ( even tho you didn't Quote it when you posted ) ....Sometimes there are Answers to things that weren't asked ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default New style fenders here ...

... I guess ?
    2015 RT-L , and looks like I'll be lopping a 1\4" off my fender bolts.
    Mike,
    What year did the fender style change for the RT-L ?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default YEAR FOR NEW STYLE FENDERS

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    ... I guess ?
    2015 RT-L , and looks like I'll be lopping a 1\4" off my fender bolts.
    Mike,
    What year did the fender style change for the RT-L ?
    Without checking a parts Fiche' I'm not sure .....But I believe it was 2013 when the New style fenders first appeared ( along with the new Frame ) ...But some models still have the old style fenders, the old style has NO protruding bolts ..... If there is a clearance issue with wide tires ... using washers between the fender bracket and the hub can fix that issue ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-29-2018 at 06:54 PM.

Spyder Garage

If you're really interested in the General Altimax RT43, Walmart sells them for about $80, and they don't get snippy about what vehicle you're mounting them on.

And I have about 24K on mine (on a 2014 RT-S), and the wear indicator is dropping hints about replacement.

The 215/60R15 size has the benefit of accurizing the speedometer with reality.

Spyder Garage

Thank you everyone for the great responses! I think RudyB probably put it best and I'm overthinking the whole thing, but better safe than sorry.

Spyder Garage

Default better late than never?

I realize I'm very late getting into this discussion but I figure it can never hurt to have more info. So; for what it's worth-----

After reading tire threads ad nauseum last fall, I decided to try a slightly different size on the rear in an effort to compensate for the built-in speedometer error that most all manufacturers of motor vehicles seem to have. I chose the Yokohama Avid Envigor in 205/65/15 for the rear based on circumference calculations and comparing speedometer readings to GPS readings. Once installed, I realized an almost 100% perfect correction where at 75mph indicated my GPS shows 74.5: the previous reading was around 71.5 on the GPS. It made no difference in the performance related to the nanny. I also chose that tire because of the UTQG rating that addresses softness/wear-ability of the rubber compounds.

UTQG =
    To help consumers evaluate their tires, the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) created the Uniform Tire Quality Grading System (UTQG). The UTQG rates tires are rated on their tread-wear, traction performance, and temperature resistance. The grade for each of these can be found on the sidewall of your tire (except for winter tires and certain light truck tires)

I will be replacing front tires soon and am taking a serious look at three I found at TiresEasy.com (https://www.tires-easy.com/tires/165-55-15). All three of these are in the exact OEM size. Having used the Achilles ATR-K on the rear of a sport-touring motorcycle for just shy of 8800 miles now, I am leaning heavily to using that on the front of the Spyder when the time comes.
    Last edited by cruisinTX; 11-01-2018 at 12:37 PM.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Active Member CarolinaSpyderRyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My federal Evo 595 front tires are 165 55 15. They are a definite upgrade.
    2014 RSS , Sunburst Yellow and Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaSpyderRyder View Post
    My federal Evo 595 front tires are 165 55 15. They are a definite upgrade.
    That's one of the three listed in the link I gave above and has a very low UTQG # of 260, meaning it is pretty soft compound providing very good traction.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Default front tires

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    That's one of the three listed in the link I gave above and has a very low UTQG # of 260, meaning it is pretty soft compound providing very good traction.
    I put yokohoma avid envigor's 175/60/15 on my f3l no rubbing and they wokg great. They do fill the wheelwell though.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billhouser View Post
    I put yokohoma avid envigor's 175/60/15 on my f3l no rubbing and they wokg great. They do fill the wheelwell though.

Spyder Garage

Tire sizes and effect on VSS

Quote Originally Posted by CJ.RamMan View Post
    Thank you for the reply. I searched the Vulcan tire site but cannot locate a 165/55r15. Does a slightly larger diameter affect the VSS system? I did not know how much "play" they build into the system. Didn't want the system to think I am constantly losing traction.
    I have run a 1/4" taller front tire with no problem. Likewise I have run almost a 1" taller rear tire to correct the speedometer error with no problem.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-28-2023 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Moved Post Title - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Davgill2002 View Post
    Tire sizes and effect on VSS
    I have run a 1/4" taller front tire with no problem. Likewise I have run almost a 1" taller rear tire to correct the speedometer error with no problem.
    I don’t know that CJ.RamMan is still on here, Davgill, that’s a 5 year old post.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    I don’t know that CJ.RamMan is still on here, Davgill, that’s a 5 year old post.

Pete
    Last seen in June 2021 so it's doubtful.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

and thread.

Check the original date on this thread.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    and thread.

Check the original date on this thread.

Deanna
    Nothing wrong with replying to old threads though, Deanna I was just concerned that DavGil might be wondering why CJRamMan wasn’t responding

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Vulcan Tire doesnt seem to list any Vredstein tires any more
    2024 RT SEa To Sky ( back ahome after screen issues fixed looking forward to the BajaRon event May 1-5 )

2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green ( guess what NO errors at all in 8 months of owning....)