Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue Lights

Spyder Garage

Default Blue Lights

I just installed blue"BIKEVIS" V2 bullets on the rear of my RT-S. Has anyone else installed a blue light/lights on the back of their Spyder and if you have, have the local LEO'S given you any grief??

Comments.....?

Thanks!
    Bill W

2019 F3 LTD

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

In California that will get your vehicle impounded and you get a ticket and walk home...

Quote Originally Posted by 40Xshooter View Post
    I just installed blue"BIKEVIS" V2 bullets on the rear of my RT-S. Has anyone else installed a blue light/lights on the back of their Spyder and if you have, have the local LEO'S given you any grief??

Comments.....?

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    In California that will get your vehicle impounded and you get a ticket and walk home...
    Thank God I don't live in California....
    Bill W

2019 F3 LTD

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BLUE LIGHTS

Thank God I don't live in California....
    It could also happen in Illinois .................Mike ...........I'm an X-leo and I'm pretty sure " Blue " lights on any vehicle are " Reserved " for Fed. , State, & local govt. " Official use " vehicles ....except for the rear ( per D.O.T. regs ) Red can be displayed there ...........
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-25-2018 at 11:31 PM.

Spyder Garage

Don't do that in Georgia or Florida !
    Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Spyder Garage

Default all of the above....

But let us know what you find out...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Blue lights on the bike will get you in trouble in many parts of the country. Red to the rear, amber or white to the front. No flashing.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

In SC the only colors allowed on the rear are Red and Amber. In front, only White and Amber. Why ask for trouble?
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Iowa, blue is a no-no as well walked in the sheriff office and asked, amber can be forward, red backward, the effect of other colors such as the "hover" lights are ok pointing down as long as the source is hidden.
    2016 RT Limited - Hicklin Powersport (Des Moines, IA)

BaJaRon Swaybar, Custom Painted (Sue Hopper), Dashmount, Dongle - BRP, FOBO Tire Monitoring System, Lidlox, Magic Mirror Mounts , Safety Light Package,
    Wide-Vu Mirrors, Hopnel Saddlebag Liners, Saddlebag Nets, F$ Tall Boy Windshield (without Vent)

Odds & Ends
    Ron Bandy Motorcycle Driving Course - ronbandy.com
    1000A Battery Pack, Air Pack, Black Dymond Detailer
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    It could also happen in Illinois .................Mike ...........I'm an X-leo and I'm pretty sure " Blue " lights on any vehicle are " Reserved " for Fed. , State, & local govt. " Official use " vehicles ....except for the rear ( per D.O.T. regs ) Red can be displayed there ...........
    I think it's legal now in IL to have blue to the REAR ONLY as long as they don't FLASH.

IMG_1180[2].jpg

(Finally figured out how to attach a pic)
    Bill W

2019 F3 LTD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think it's legal now in IL to have blue to the REAR ONLY as long as they don't FLASH.
    I think NOT.

Highly unlikely......even as screwed up as Illinois is.

The lighting standards are a part of the Federal Uniform Vehicle Code.

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for your opinions and feedback.
    The blue lights will STAY ON until I'm told to take them off. I'm 69 years old and I don't carry colors anymore. If I get stopped, I'll plead ignorance and maybe the officer will just write me a warning......

We'll see. They look good to me so they're staying.....

I'm such a rebel!
    Bill W

2019 F3 LTD

Spyder Garage

Sorry, but that's a myth. It is only a fix-it ticket in Commifornia.

California state law (CVC) only allows for a very narrow set of circumstances in which to impound a vehicle. Towing and storing is easier, but still difficult to achieve.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    Sorry, but that's a myth. It is only a fix-it ticket in Commifornia.
    BUT.....do they have the authority to prevent you from driving an "illgeal" vehicle ??

Anyone who insists on doing this should have a fuse or switch to disable it........just incase.

Spyder Garage

A friend had small blue lights on the back of his GW trike and got pulled over here in Arizona. He was a stubborn, crusty old S.O.B. (now deceased) and wanted to argue with the L.E.O. What was probably going to be a warning turned into a ticket
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Ok, so I'm Canadian, but the same rules apply up here.

BUT, I not only have Glo-riders that are blue on the front hubs, I also have a blue Larson scanner (knight rider light) on the front of my RT. I come down to the states often, a few times a year, and only once have I had even a questioning look. It was from a boarder officer who said something like " I haven't seen those before" when I asked if he was talking about the spyder, he said no... the glo riders. But that was the end of it.

My glo-riders were a special deal at the time. There is no remote, no color change, always on when the bike moves. The larson scanner is on a switch, but I do ride with it on a lot. HOWEVER, it is a scanner that I made, and the lights are not bright. They are visible in daylight, but barely. The switch also turns on blue running lights under the bike (not visible in daylight), and a lite-up from Sue Hopper (also blue) where the BRP emblem was in the frunk. Yes, I know I take my chances with it, but in 3 seasons, have had no issues in either country.

Ray

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

In Arkansas you will get your bike impounded and you could get a free ride to jail on a Felony charge.

NO BLUE LIGHTS.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

In Florida I was told to have them off before I pull out of the gas station onto the public street. just blue led strip a top of the engine.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BLUE LIGHTS

Thank you all for your opinions and feedback.
    The blue lights will STAY ON until I'm told to take them off. I'm 69 years old and I don't carry colors anymore. If I get stopped, I'll plead ignorance and maybe the officer will just write me a warning......

We'll see. They look good to me so they're staying.....

I'm such a rebel!
    You Sir are a BRAVE soul ......... annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd I hope you ONLY get a warning ...... However if the LEO decides to play hardball ( and the young cops today often do ) ..... Depending on the State and or Provence you could get arrested and seriously fined ..... Annnnnnnnnd if you think telling them " well someone on this website said it was OK or they didn't get arrested " ....... annnnnnnnnd the fact that almost everybody ( and their mothers ) have CELL phones today annnnnnnnd love to make complaints ...hysterically calls the police to report this , annnnnnnnnd the cops who are having coffee & donuts must go out and investigate this ....If they find you - I can assure you ( from experience as an LEO ) .....things will not go well for you ....... jmho ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No blue lights in Illinois. You will get pulled over at some point..

I am using the LED flag and been lucky up to this point.

But why would they pull me over for displaying the American Flag anyway

Spyder Garage

FWIW, here in Florida, a couple years ago, pulling onto the Florida Turnpike, riding two up, the wife and I, and pulling the RT622 trailer, headed out to go Christmas shopping we got pulled over for supposedly having blue flashing lights.

Turns out, the Highway Patrolman knew little about HID headlights. What he saw, in daylight was the edge band of light from the HID that is slightly blue. We were stopped a while as he insisted I turned on the flashing blue lights. I explained that these are from the manufacturer and not aftermarket. Also, I explained what he saw and he did not beleive me. Finally, he walked well infront of the Spyder, and looked. Next, he came back, said I needed to follow him so he could look for himself in the mirrors. Ultimately, nothing happened, but the FHP officer wanted to be right and write me up.

After that, I accidentally learned a better way to explain the HID blue edge. Open the frunk and let the light shine on the inside of the lid.

Spyder Garage

I have the led USA flag on the back of my Spyder, also. I was waiting for a friend to catch up with me and a deputy stopped to see if I needed any help. Told him I was waiting and he got ready to leave he said I like your led flag. Hopefully all police are as patriotic. Also, speaking of blue lites being illegal, I followed some Harley riders back to my motel one day. All 5 of them had blue lites on the back of their bikes. I talked to a couple of them in the lobby and told them how well they could be seen but did they ever have trouble with police, they replied we are all retired police and have been stopped before but not ticketed when we show them our id's. I said that's not fair and they just laughed. Being smart, I just laughed too.

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    No blue lights in Illinois. You will get pulled over at some point..

I am using the LED flag and been lucky up to this point.

But why would they pull me over for displaying the American Flag anyway

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    BUT.....do they have the authority to prevent you from driving an "illgeal" vehicle ??

Anyone who insists on doing this should have a fuse or switch to disable it........just incase.
    If I understand your question correctly. No, they really don't have any authority to "stop" you from driving a legally deficient vehicle. They can only ticket you as a way of enforcing legal compliance. In Commiefornia, the ticket is a fix-it. Meaning, you get ticketed, you fix the violation, then you have a legally authorized authority sign off the back of the ticket to prove compliance. After that you give the ticket to the courts, pay an administrative fee, and then you go about your merry way without a trace on your driving record. Just like it never happened, except your wallet is lighter.

The switch is a good idea. This is what I did. I have the LED American flag on the back of mine. I installed a hidden switch in the trunk so I can turn it off at will. I found the LED lights to be somewhat obnoxious at night, so I alway turn it off at night. I also turned it off when I traveled into Canada. I figured it would be illegal in some fashion and I didn't want to offend, so I kept it off the entire time.

FWIW, I've traveled all over the western US, as seen on my map on the sig line, and so far I've never been hassled anywhere.

As a funny and maybe interesting side note.

In the old days in the land of fruits and nutz. Blue lights to the rear were legal and treated differently. It was authorized for state legislators to display on their way to a session of the state legislature. The reason for that is those official could NOT be stopped for ANY violation of law when displaying that blue light.
    Think that might have been abused?? Duh!
    Former speaker Willie Brown (current US Senator Kamala Harris' former married boyfriend) was the worst offender. It got routinely covered up, among other transgressions. He's the reason we have term limits and this law was changed. (As a public servant, he used to wear $1000s hand tailored Italian suits and drive a red Lambo......)
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    then you go about your merry way without a trace on your driving record. Just like it never happened, except your wallet is lighter.
    So......what happens in the ensuing hours, days or weeks before you get it "fixed" and you are stopped again ?
    Carrying around the first citation with you doesn't magically mean that it isn't illegal anymore......does it ??

What if, for instance, both of your headlights were out ??
    Or both tail lights or brake lights ??

Spyder Garage

In all reality, a deficient vehicle can be impounded if the deficiency is a serious enough safety hazard, and yes the police do have the authority to impound a seriously deficient vehicle.

If you care to test this theory, try driving through town with a windshield busted bad enough that you can't see out of it or try driving with only three tires and a rim and see what happens.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer