Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default can out of adjustment valve cause low mpg and exhaust leak?

i been getting alot of exhaust fume lately and got a little better after i installed leo vince. i took it to dealer today and how they tested it by plugging a towel in the exhaust and said see it's not leaking. I asked him how can you possibly tell by that without even taking the panels off and he said if it was leaking he will hear it. i asked over the leo vince and he said yes. does that make any sense?

i had bad exhaust leak before and first time it was bad exhaust gasket and was replaced and 2nd time mechanic did not put clamp back on after reinstalling hindle. it was much worse before i installed leo but after leo i get fumes for like 10 second after spyder is started and after somewhat hard acceleration. i am guessing free-er flowing leo has helped. my spyder is due for 12000 service and wondering if valve out of adjustment is the cause.

also my mpg is down to 20 again. after getting very close to 30 mpg for a while

after he has done that spyder seems to be running hotter especially when i am sitting.
    Last edited by aka1004; 06-04-2009 at 11:28 PM.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    i been getting alot of exhaust fume lately and got a little better after i installed leo vince. i took it to dealer today and how they tested it by plugging a towel in the exhaust and said see it's not leaking. I asked him how can you possibly tell by that without even taking the panels off and he said if it was leaking he will hear it. i asked over the leo vince and he said yes. does that make any sense?

i had bad exhaust leak before and first time it was bad exhaust gasket and was replaced and 2nd time mechanic did not put clamp back on after reinstalling hindle. it was much worse before i installed leo but after leo i get fumes for like 10 second after spyder is started and after somewhat hard acceleration. i am guessing free-er flowing leo has helped. my spyder is due for 12000 service and wondering if valve out of adjustment is the cause.

after he has done that spyder seems to be running hotter especially when i am sitting.

Pirate Power Sports, Riverside. He will do you right. Are you interested?
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post

I was getting very bad exaust fumes and found it was my exhaust gaskets had the dealer fix this under warranty and the smell went away....It was also running a lot hotter with the exhaust leak so you might have them check the gaskets.
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Silver/Black SE5 - Trunk Liner, 1" riser, 12v, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, 5" Kewlmetal Pullback Bars, Kewlmetal Console, Zumo 450, Ipod, Kewlmetal Highway brackets with Wing pegs, Triple Play, Wizard Light LED's, Corbin front/rear saddle with Backrest, Nelson Rigg CL950 Saddlebags with CL800 Tote Bag, CalSci Medium Windshield.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Pirate Power Sports, Riverside. He will do you right. Are you interested?
    I will swing by today
    Who's the big man over there?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just googled pirate powersports and this thread popped up
    Google is something else
    Last edited by aka1004; 06-05-2009 at 06:00 PM.