Spyder Garage

Default 2012 Rss se5 will fire but not start

went out to ride the spyder this morning and it will try to start but as soon as it feels like it starts it shuts off. I have checked battery terminals and removed negative cable to reset computer and see if it was computer malfunction.
    I have posted the video to youtube www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QcO-AmRkYQ

2012 spyder rss SE5
    Last edited by losmandeals; 08-22-2018 at 04:52 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default link ?

can you copy the link here ? will take a while to find it in you -tube world

Spyder Garage

keeps trying to post video preview may have to copy paste
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QcO-AmRkYQ
    Last edited by losmandeals; 08-22-2018 at 04:50 PM.

Spyder Garage

What work/repairs/maintenance/mods have been done on the trike in recent times?
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

After troubleshooting for a couple hours I figured out it is the key ignition when I turn the key slightly past the on position it will start. Now can someone direct me to page or video of how to replace I heard I have to take to dealer to have them configure to new ignition after installing. would take it to our local dealer to have them fix but it would be a 6 hour job for them at $85 a hour.

Spyder Garage

I would recommend getting the service manual. Electronic versions are available for download online for about $25. They are all just a copy of the BRP manual. That will give you detailed instructions on how to change out the ignition switch. If you have the skills that will save you a lot of money. Programming new keys on your model is done with a master key. Not plugging into the dealers computer like later models. You can buy a master if you wish. The new keys will not work with the old DESS until programed and the old keys will not work with the new ignition. So you can't program the new keys. There is a procedure to get around this in the manual. But it needs to be done before it is fully reassembled. Or you could buy a new DESS module. Or you could cut a dummy unchipped key and hold the old the old key against it, when the old key is need during the programming process.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by losmandeals View Post
    I heard I have to take to dealer to have them configure to new ignition after installing. would take it to our local dealer to have them fix but it would be a 6 hour job for them at $85 a hour.
    I think you need to verify that.
    I believe that is assuming that they have to replace the ENTIRE DESS system and the ignition switch.......and I can't see even that taking 6 hours.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    I think you need to verify that.
    I believe that is assuming that they have to replace the ENTIRE DESS system and the ignition switch.......and I can't see even that taking 6 hours.
    Yes received a quote $229 for part #710002971. hours of labor $335 and $9 shop fee. im guessing that it is only the ingnition switch they are changing. I have order the 2012 Can-Am Spyder RS roadster service manual on CD off of ebay and will see how simple it is to swap. now to see if I have to order master key to reset