Spyder Garage

Default Troubleshooting Spyder GS

I have a 2008 Spyder GS and not sure what is going on. I spent the weekend riding and the bike performed flawlessly. I pulled in the driveway and shut the bike off and left it for an hour or so before putting it in the garage. Upon stating the bike, the instrument was giving me the check engine symbol and check DPS message. I shut the bike off for a few minutes and restarted it. The DPS message went away. I back out of the driveway and drove it around the block. Everything seemed to function correctly. I left the bike for a few hours in the garage and went out and restarted it again. The check engine and check DPS message was back. The steering seemed fine. The instrument panel flashed off and on a couple of times. I shut the bike down and restarted it. This time the instrument panel would not work.
    I checked it a few times over the course of the evening and still the instrument panel would not work.
    I checked the battery connections including the ground and all were tight. The battery was reading 13 volts and the bike would start fine. The headlights, brake lights and hazards all function fine.
    I pulled and checked all of the fuses under the front cowl with a multimeter. They are all fine.
    The turn signals, horn and instrument cluster (lights, tack, speedo) do no work except for showing the indicator arrows when the hazards are on. I took the bike for a quick drive around the block and the steering and everything seems to work except the instrument cluster, horn and turn signals.
    I removed the instrument cluster and blew out the connector and pins, still nothing.
    The closest dealer is 30-40 minutes away and would like to continue to try and trouble shoot the problem before taking it in or having it taken over on a flat bed tow truck.
    The DPS was replaced under recall a few years ago.
    Would anyone have any suggestions to try. Would any of the fuses under the seat cause these problems or one of the relays under the front cowl?

Spyder Garage

2 possible culprits. Fuse F11 front fuse box, 5 amp. Relay R3 in the front fuse box. I will make a guess and say the relay is loose or has gone bad. Not uncommon for the relays to go bad on the early GS models.

PS May be able to get a new relay at a well stocked auto parts store. Take it with you to compare.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This has all the signs of an intermittent bad power connection.
    Just because the battery connections look good and feel tight doesn't necessarily mean that they ARE good.

All of that starting without riding probably has drained the battery some too.

I think you should start by cleaning and reconnecting both ends of both main battery cables......and charging the battery, just because.

Spyder Garage

It turned out to be the relay which caused all of the problems. Thanks for the help.