Spyder Garage

Default Utah Pete another book, after Plum Island

The Lion's Game with the same main character as in Plum Island.

I'm putting my NEMO Stargaze Recliner to good use. If I didn't have that, I probably wouldn't be reading.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    The Lion's Game with the same main character as in Plum Island. I'm putting my NEMO Stargaze Recliner to good use. If I didn't have that, I probably wouldn't be reading.
    Finished Plum Island. It was a good read. But I'm too cheap to buy another. Just started Leon Uris' The Haj.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Finished Plum Island. It was a good read. But I'm too cheap to buy another. Just started Leon Uris' The Haj.
    I just looked it up. It's a little too deep for me.

Spyder Garage

UtahPete use the Public library... they are there for a reason. Or do what what my Dad used to do, find a used bookstore.
    USAF MSgt, Retired
    2018 F3 Intense Red
    Squared Away Lasar alignment, TricLED Headlights, Foglights,Safety Bundle with Turn Module, BajaRon Sway Bar,Squared Away Mirror Wedges, Stebel Air Horn, Dash Turn Indicators, TricLED USA Flag
    2018 F3L , Intense Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rtotten View Post
    UtahPete use the Public library... they are there for a reason. Or do what what my Dad used to do, find a used bookstore.
    We're on the road in Canada. Purely digital.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

There is an app called "OverDrive". It's free and has tons of great books.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    There is an app called "OverDrive". It's free and has tons of great books.
    Thanks. I'll check it out.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Libraries are digital, too!

Pete -- I haven't bought a book in years, and I'm completely digital (Kindle). Message me if you're not familiar with how that works, but in short, many libraries use OverDrive, a free application to manage and deliver digital titles. Here in Texas, many libraries only require a Texas driver's license to get a library card, meaning I have multiple outlets to check out digital titles, and am able to recommend titles that they don't yet have "in stock." They tend to be fairly responsive, especially for more popular authors. Even during the two years I lived in Hungary I was checking out books regularly from Texas!

(Speaking of popular authors, I love Leon Uris, but The Haj was not one of my favorites.)
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bhern View Post
    Pete -- I haven't bought a book in years, and I'm completely digital (Kindle). Message me if you're not familiar with how that works, but in short, many libraries use OverDrive, a free application to manage and deliver digital titles. Here in Texas, many libraries only require a Texas driver's license to get a library card, meaning I have multiple outlets to check out digital titles, and am able to recommend titles that they don't yet have "in stock." They tend to be fairly responsive, especially for more popular authors. Even during the two years I lived in Hungary I was checking out books regularly from Texas!

(Speaking of popular authors, I love Leon Uris, but The Haj was not one of my favorites.)
    I can't ever finish a digital book. I got to have the hard copy in hand.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bhern View Post

My wife checks out digital audio books from the local library. I've not been able to complete a book during the limited lending period because of other distractions, but that will probably change in the near future.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Hi bhern,

Re: I'm completely digital (Kindle).

I own a Kindle & have read many books on it; although, I do prefer a hard bound copy if I can get it.

Your post has a lot of good info. However, it should be noted that not all authors allow their books to be accessed via Overdrive. My favorite author ( Michael Connelly ) is one.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

The Lion's Game with the same main character as in Plum Island.

I'm putting my NEMO Stargaze Recliner to good use. If I didn't have that, I probably wouldn't be reading.
    Have read many Nelson DeMille books. He is a talented writer and picks good topics but his main character is always the same, no matter what name, and he's always too much of a smart alec to the point it gets annoying. This is also a common complaint in his reviews on Amazon. DeMille also has a tendency to make unsatisfying endings. I always swear I won't read another of his books for those reasons but then eat my words.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Default That's actually more a publishing house move, not an authorial decision, I believe

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi bhern,

Re: I'm completely digital (Kindle).

I own a Kindle & have read many books on it; although, I do prefer a hard bound copy if I can get it.

Your post has a lot of good info. However, it should be noted that not all authors allow their books to be accessed via Overdrive. My favorite author ( Michael Connelly ) is one.

Jerry Baumchen
    Jerry -- I now know you to be a man of great taste, as Michael Connelly (creator of characters like Harry Bosch and Mickey "The Lincoln Lawyer" Haller) is one of my favorites, too. One of the reasons he's a favorite is that I've read almost everything he's written through Kindle versions checked out from my local libraries via OverDrive. I just logged onto the Houston Public Library's OverDrive catalog and see 35 Michael Connelly titles available in Kindle format.

So he's not blocking OverDrive access -- it is true that not everything is available on OverDrive, but let me lay a foundation for it first.

Libraries buy physical books from publishers to shelve and lend in their branches. In a similar way, they buy eBooks through OverDrive to "digitally shelve" in their OverDrive portal for library cardholders. Each library makes their own decision as to which eBooks to buy, how many and when they buy them, meaning each library's OverDrive portal has a different array of titles and depth thereof. (That's why it's useful to have multiple library cards -- especially if your local library is relatively small. While of course everything in Texas is bigger, there's certainly a difference between, say, the Houston Public Library's raft of eBooks and the Palestine Public Library's stash.)

So if you have a Houston Public Library Card, you can hop on to their OverDrive portal and check out the eBooks and audio books they have bought through OverDrive. And yes, they will often buy multiple copies of eBooks when, say, the latest Grisham, King, or yes, Connelly comes out. If I have the only copy of an eBook checked out, no one else can check it out until I check it in again or my term expires.

Now, back to the point you were making about availability. As I said, there's definitely no shortage of Michael Connelly, or any remotely interesting author that I've wanted to read for that matter. However, I do believe there is a growing wall with regard to the various Amazon publishing imprints. I think what is happening is that the Amazon-published titles are being confined to the Kindle Unlimited program, and not being offered to OverDrive. Some authors I really enjoy who publish through one of Amazon's imprints -- Barry Eisler, Barbara Nickles, et al -- do not have more recent titles available on OverDrive. I hope I'm wrong about this or if I'm not, that cooler heads will prevail to make library access to these titles a reality.

Anyway, the main point is that OverDrive through your local library is a great to read eBooks for free. Haven't bought a novel in over a decade. (I still buy certain non-fiction that doesn't lend itself to the eBook format.)
    Last edited by bhern; 08-24-2018 at 01:13 AM.
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rtotten View Post
    Yes, I know this is an old post, but I've been looking for this post for a while. I'm not sure if this person (member) is on here any longer. I just wanted to say
    thank you. I never thought of the public library at the time. But, since then, the slip of paper I get with every book I check out gives me a running total of what I have saved and I have saved $3,235.23.

Spyder Garage

Yes, I know this is an old post, but I've been looking for this post for a while. I'm not sure if this person (member) is on here any longer. I just wanted to say
    thank you. I never thought of the public library at the time. But, since then, the slip of paper I get with every book I check out gives me a running total of what I have saved and I have saved $3,235.23.
    …..and I would just like to say that Plum Island is one of my all time favourite books, Wylie…..but then, all DeMille’s books are fabulous

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red