Spyder Garage

Default Help me "Get A Grip!"

Could use some help with grips:
    • I have a 2016 F3-T
    • I like ISO Grips and wanted to install them on my F3. J&P Cycles says they will fit a 2016 F3-T
    • Ordered the grips, looked like the right length and 7/8 diameter.

Here is where the problem starts:
    • I cut off the left hand grip. Then notice it is on a sleeve held on by two screws.
    • Saw "no-way" to get to to fit without excessive trimming of the sleeve and still unsure I could get it to work. Decided to stop right there.
    • Called J&P Cycles and returned the grips (they are great on returns and customer service)
    • Took the grip I sliced off and put it back on temporarily with gorilla tape.

Here is my question:
    • Can I just replace the grips with any 7/8 diameter grip of the same length or do I have to get a specific Can Am OEM grip?
    • Is the throttle side also 7/8?
    • I am assuming from posts I have read here that that is the diameter.

Any suggestions would be most welcomed. Thanks in Advance.
    KYRider (Ken)
    Northern KY
    '16 Can Am Spyder F3-T
    2016 F3-T , White

Spyder Garage

KY, sorry, I hate to tell you this, but you should have asked for advice before you started cutting into the grips. Because the Spyder is fairly unique in that the bars themselves end where the grips start, the grips are a completely integrated unit so you effectively have to use overgrips that go over your existing grips. There are some ISO grips for Goldwing that do that, or you can use foam overgrips, which many use.
    Sorry, but I’m heading out and have run out of time, but if you do a search for ISO grips, you’ll find exactly what is involved. Lamont has an install video. Most people go with foam overgrips, especially if they have heated grips.

I’m sure others will be along shortly with more info....

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 08-20-2018 at 04:13 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Tricled has a set of foam grips that will go over your regular grips

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KYRider View Post
    Could use some help with grips:
    • I have a 2016 F3-T
    • I like ISO Grips and wanted to install them on my F3. J&P Cycles says they will fit a 2016 F3-T
    • Ordered the grips, looked like the right length and 7/8 diameter.

Here is where the problem starts:
    • I cut off the left hand grip. Then notice it is on a sleeve held on by two screws.
    • Saw "no-way" to get to to fit without excessive trimming of the sleeve and still unsure I could get it to work. Decided to stop right there.
    • Called J&P Cycles and returned the grips (they are great on returns and customer service)
    • Took the grip I sliced off and put it back on temporarily with gorilla tape.

Here is my question:
    • Can I just replace the grips with any 7/8 diameter grip of the same length or do I have to get a specific Can Am OEM grip?
    • Is the throttle side also 7/8?
    • I am assuming from posts I have read here that that is the diameter.

Any suggestions would be most welcomed. Thanks in Advance.

ISO GRIP 6240 (for Honda but will fit F3) If you have heated grips, will limit any heat to hands.