Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default tire theory

Quote Originally Posted by als View Post
    After reading many - many opinions of needed tire pressure - it seems that no one wants to mention that the Spyder weighs almost as much as some tires are designed to handle ..... ( this might be an issue IF the Spyder only had one tire !!!! .... and even then I doubt there is any car tire sold in this country ( in a Spyder size category ) that can't carry 1100lbs )
    If it is carrying the weight why doesn't it need the same pressure?....( sorry but I don't understand what you mean in this sentence ) .....

Seems like Firestone learned a lot about underinflated tires.....( yes they did, but it wasn't learned from use on a Spyder !!! )
    Just my 2 cents worth.
    ps -I was installing and balancing tires before a lot of our members started school.
    als
    .... ( I've met/known a lot of tire installers ( I'm 71 ) and most weren't HS graduates ( and still aren't .... and this statement is not to be construed as any type of SLAM towards you or anyone else.
    My comments to the OP's specific statements are in RED .......Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-26-2018 at 12:33 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    The irony just keeps on giving.
    The man IS a master at "projection".
    Pretty much everything he says applies perfectly to HIM.

Just because one completes a training course, doesn't mean that he understands what was taught......or the practical applications of it.

Spyder Garage

Default TRAINING

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    The man IS a master at "projection".
    Pretty much everything he says applies perfectly to HIM.

Just because one completes a training course, doesn't mean that he understands what was taught......or the practical applications of it.
    ...Yes it's much better to have NO TRAINING and form a firm opinion based on that and then tell everyone how WRONG they are ............ Mike

Spyder Garage

Boy I can't wait until I buy my front tires and post about that. It will probably result in drive by shootings

Spyder Garage

Default pressure

I didn't forget anything! Are you telling me that the Spyder is perfectly balanced with equal weight on each wheel?
    Especially with your "500" ponds mostly to the rear?

And you seem to forget that EACH tire doesn't carry the WHOLE weight of the Spyder.
    1000 pounds for a fully loaded RT....plus 500 for 2 riders and gear......divided by 3 (for a rough estimate), comes out to 500 LBS per wheel/tire.

But yes if you ARE near the load limit, you should be near to the max. pressure too. That generally doesn't apply here.

Spyder Garage

Default pressure

There is no reasoning to a "Legend In His Own Mind" !!!
    If the discussion doesn't fit your answer we are idiots -uninformed - or didn't graduate from high school (whatever that has to do with this subject)
    Enjoy your little kingdom!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .... ( I've met/known a lot of tire installers ( I'm 71 ) and most weren't HS graduates ( and still aren't .... and this statement is not to be construed as any type of SLAM towards you or anyone else.
    My comments to the OP's specific statements are in RED .......Mike

Spyder Garage

Boy this is great afternoon entertainment. It would be nice if we had some actual hard facts rather than speculation and opinion.

Just what is the weight bias on a Spyder??
    What is the real curb weight ready to roll??
    What is the weight rating for the tire in question??

As near as I can figure My 15 RT limited curb weight was around 1100 pounds +/- and probably close to half of that on the rear wheel.
    I'm a wide load at 300lbs and my pillion isn't small so that adds probably another 350 to the rear wheel.
    Probably 50 lbs in the cases all on the rear wheel plus 40 lbs of tongue weight which is cantilevered way behind the axle so it adds 50+ to the equation.
    Using my HS math that adds up to right at 1000 on the rear wheel and my car tire is rated at 1200 at max inflation which is 44 lbs I think. The spyder lives down the street so I can't look.
    So the question is why would you run less than half the factory recommended pressure in a tire that is carrying 80% of it's rated load. These are not exact numbers but I'll bet they are darn close.

Until the FACTS are available I don't see where speculation and opinion count for a whole lot regardless of background or education but the entertainment is great.

Spyder Garage

Default Curb Weight

Would be nice to know what the curb weight load of each tire would be. And what it would be with a 200 lb. Driver or 350 lb. with passenger. Now a 40 lb. tough weight on the trailer hitch would add to the rear tire, but subtract from the front tires since the hitch is behind the rear tire. Maybe just leave the tough weight out.

Spyder Garage

I kind of dropped the ball on this... BlueKnight911, do you remember my challenge to you for a race? You DID win a "sanctioned" drag race, and I think that is super-cool.

I tell you what: You run your low pressure up against my "high" pressures. We can do a 75 mile-ish route. I'll put up $1000. You don't have to put up anything. You can even run your home-made suspension linkage you've been working on in the basement.

I'm quite certain that we will run into each other at a Spyder event sometime.

Deal?
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Default Data

I kind of dropped the ball on this... BlueKnight911, do you remember my challenge to you for a race? You DID win a "sanctioned" drag race, and I think that is super-cool.

I tell you what: You run your low pressure up against my "high" pressures. We can do a 75 mile-ish route. I'll put up $1000. You don't have to put up anything. You can even run your home-made suspension linkage you've been working on in the basement.

Deal?
    tehrlich: Where is the data that you did? I'd love to see it and read thru it, I bet I could learn from it.

Spyder Garage

Default INTERESTING ANALYSIS

Quote Originally Posted by fjray View Post
    Boy this is great afternoon entertainment. It would be nice if we had some actual hard facts rather than speculation and opinion.

Just what is the weight bias on a Spyder??
    What is the real curb weight ready to roll??
    What is the weight rating for the tire in question??

As near as I can figure My 15 RT limited curb weight was around 1100 pounds +/- and probably close to half of that on the rear wheel.
    I'm a wide load at 300lbs and my pillion isn't small so that adds probably another 350 to the rear wheel.
    Probably 50 lbs in the cases all on the rear wheel plus 40 lbs of tongue weight which is cantilevered way behind the axle so it adds 50+ to the equation.
    Using my HS math that adds up to right at 1000 on the rear wheel and my car tire is rated at 1200 at max inflation which is 44 lbs I think. The spyder lives down the street so I can't look.
    So the question is why would you run less than half the factory recommended pressure in a tire that is carrying 80% of it's rated load. These are not exact numbers but I'll bet they are darn close.

Until the FACTS are available I don't see where speculation and opinion count for a whole lot regardless of background or education but the entertainment is great.
    I'm well aware your intelligence level is off the charts ..... so how come you haven't figured out that I don't care what psi's you are using. If you told us that you were going to go with 40 -50 -60 psi, I wouldn't try to deter you from doing so ..... My concern is the Newbie's on this Forum who are seeking advice on what they should be using for Tires and/or tire pressures.........It's really that simple ............ You and Easy Rider and tehrlic are always asking me to PROVE what I say is true ... ( the fact that I was a Court certified expert seems to have no meaning for any of you ) How about you Naysayers produce some PROOF that " over-inflating " car tires ( based on the weight of the vehicle )for use on a Spyder is better ????? ....... I'll await that info ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default comments

There is no reasoning to a "Legend In His Own Mind" !!!
    If the discussion doesn't fit your answer we are idiots -uninformed - or didn't graduate from high school (whatever that has to do with this subject)
    Enjoy your little kingdom!
    Dear als, this isn't Twitter, or Facebook or any of the similar types of internet sites where getting NASTY is what they are mostly about....... and if you had read past the first sustenance , MAYBE you could have been more civil ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Calling some an " ASS "

No confict at all. My above comment was not direct at YOU.

And moreover, I don't intend any of my remarks directed toward you to be insulting.
    Just a statement of facts as I see them. Or maybe I should say that it is proved by SCIENCE.

My opinion hasn't changed since that post that you can't seem to let go of.
    And I could elaborate, but I won't in the interest of civility.
    You seem to think calling someone on this Forum an " ASS " is ok ........ If you really believe that I dare you to call Lamont or Joan an " ASS " and see if it's OK ...... I bet you don't have the guts ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Once again you are RIGHT. People are looking for factual proof that running a tire regardless of application at close to full load with less than half of the pressure recommended by the engineers is a good idea. It doesn't matter what the tire is or what it's being used for, it needs to operate under the conditions it's engineered for. It's not that it's a car tire on a Spyder at all and that we can agree on. It's just that some feel that telling people to run a tire under-inflated for the load may not be advisable. There 's that opinion thing again.

And you are right that being a court recognized expert doesn't really mean a whole lot in this case. When I have testified in court it's because the party that hired me wants my testimony to add credibility to their side of the case whether it's right or wrong.

Show us the FACTS just the facts.

Spyder Garage

I'm well aware your intelligence level is off the charts ..... so how come you haven't figured out that I don't care what psi's you are using. If you told us that you were going to go with 40 -50 -60 psi, I wouldn't try to deter you from doing so ..... My concern is the Newbie's on this Forum who are seeking advice on what they should be using for Tires and/or tire pressures.........It's really that simple ............ You and Easy Rider and tehrlic are always asking me to PROVE what I say is true ... ( the fact that I was a Court certified expert seems to have no meaning for any of you ) How about you Naysayers produce some PROOF that " over-inflating " car tires ( based on the weight of the vehicle )for use on a Spyder is better ????? ....... I'll await that info ....... Mike

More irony. Never asked to prove your soft shoe pressures. Just that you have NO science for our higher pressures. YOU are the one blabbing on about science, butt science, science, butt science.

There is no science about car tires on motorcycles.

Oh, your testimony is important to me! I asked for you to give me the cases, and I would look them up!

I'm serious about the $1000.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Deal?
    Todd, I appreciate all the differing points of view on here, especially yours, Peter A’s and Mike’s. I have chosen to follow Peter and Mike’s as it makes the most sense to me. I am very happy with it for the riding I do.
    However, at no stage has Mike made the claim that his recommendation will give the fastest possible ride, but simply that it will provide the safest ride, coupled with excellent handling. To challenge him to a “race” is a rather strange request. It’s the safety aspect that Mike and Peter are most concerned with, and we can all make our own call on that.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Todd, I appreciate all the differing points of view on here, especially yours, Peter A’s and Mike’s. I have chosen to follow Peter and Mike’s as it makes the most sense to me. I am very happy with it for the riding I do.
    However, at no stage has Mike made the claim that his recommendation will give the fastest possible ride, but simply that it will provide the safest ride, coupled with excellent handling. To challenge him to a “race” is a rather strange request. It’s the safety aspect that Mike and Peter are most concerned with, and we can all make our own call on that.

Pete

Then, you don't remember when he was challenging me with his "sanctioned drag race win" credentials? I asked if he wanted to race? Just a gentleman's bet. I'll still put up the $1000. Who knows: it might just be fun, and I'll donate it to a police charity.

But, in his little world here, we cannot "make our own call on that." He flips out with emoji abuse and is very condescending when anyone says they like their tire pressures higher.

Right? Do you not read what I'm reading?

2015 RT Limited , black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I didn't forget anything! Are you telling me that the Spyder is perfectly balanced with equal weight on each wheel?
    Especially with your "500" ponds mostly to the rear?
    NO, that was just a general example.
    I should not have commented.
    The way your post was worded made it sound like one should consider that the WHOLE weight was on each wheel.
    Sorry.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

B

Agree 100%.

And then DIS-agree 100%.

I don't think this "How dare you question what I say. I am perfect and I know everything." that gets repeated over and over is not entertaining at all.
    Not in this forum and not in National Politics either.

"You all just need to trust me."
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 08-26-2018 at 05:17 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You seem to think calling someone on this Forum an " ASS " is ok ........ If you really believe that I dare you to call Lamont or Joan an " ASS " and see if it's OK ...... I bet you don't have the guts ..... Mike
    More fractured logic.

So far, YOU are the only one I've seen on here that deserves the title.
    Why would I use if for someone else ??

Spyder Garage

Then, you don't remember when he was challenging me with his "sanctioned drag race win" credentials? I asked if he wanted to race? Just a gentleman's bet. I'll still put up the $1000. Who knows: it might just be fun, and I'll donate it to a police charity.
    But, in his little world here, we cannot "make our own call on that." He flips out with emoji abuse and is very condescending when anyone says they like their tire pressures higher.
    Yes, I read what you’re reading, Todd. Unfortunately you have fixated on one part of one sentence in my post rather than the general message I was attempting to convey. Maybe that’s why we interpret posts differently.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default TRUTH

Once again you are RIGHT. People are looking for factual proof that running a tire regardless of application at close to full load with less than half of the pressure recommended by the engineers is a good idea. It doesn't matter what the tire is or what it's being used for, it needs to operate under the conditions it's engineered for. It's not that it's a car tire on a Spyder at all and that we can agree on. It's just that some feel that telling people to run a tire under-inflated for the load may not be advisable. There 's that opinion thing again.

And you are right that being a court recognized expert doesn't really mean a whole lot in this case. When I have testified in court it's because the party that hired me wants my testimony to add credibility to their side of the case whether it's right or wrong.

Show us the FACTS just the facts.
    So you were comfortable with testifying that something was true .....even if you knew it wasn't ....... this EXPLAINS a lot ....thank you ..... Mike [ Quote ] " And you are right that being a Court recognized expert really doesn't mean a whole lot in this case " ......I never said this, if you are going to make stuff up to prove your point ....then maybe your Point isn't defensible ..... People who are just plain Wrong about something often use this tactic.....It's able
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-26-2018 at 05:38 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Yes, I read what you’re reading, Todd. Unfortunately you have fixated on one part of one sentence in my post rather than the general message I was attempting to convey. Maybe that’s why we interpret posts differently.

Pete
    Understood!

I'm just a dag trying to avoid a bloody bingle. We would understand one another over a pint of XXXX.

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Once again you are WRONG. reading comprehension is important and understanding the context. MY Testimony like yours was and is always correct. The lawyers idea is the one that may be flawed.

Spyder Garage

Default challenges & arguments

I guess you agree with " fjray " when the truth doesn't fit the discussion ( in your mind ) ...just make things up. I NEVER CHALLENGED YOU.....and I've suggested to you a number of times to contact the Administrator about your almost Anal fixation with the use of " emoji's " ....Why haven't you done this ???? .....or did the Administrator think you were nuts ...... Mike